The politics of terrorism

Hoss

• 2 months later...

I hope our friend in Belgium--who, I think, works at an airport--is ok.

My wife is an American Airlines flight attendant who has flown out of Brussels often. Reports are explosion was at the American ticket counter. She heard all employees are alive and accounted for.

My cousin was in the airport about 48 hours before the blasts- she was saying how eerie the whole situation is, and was marveling (prior to the attack) how little security/police presence there was in the city, period. It's an interesting contrast to me, as when I spent a summer in Paris, there were military with dogs and heavy duty weapons on most corners, and in every train station/airport. I'm a little surprised there wasn't a heavier presence, though I don't know what good it would've done in this case.

Years ago, I was with a group that was traveling across Europe with a concert band. The London bombings (2005) happened the day after we left London, in the same place/time we usually met up. The rest of our trip saw very heavy security, something I had never really seen up to that point in my life. I'll never forget the pall that had fallen over every country we visited as a result.

My thoughts are with Belgium. My thoughts are with Europe. I have that sick feeling in my gut that more crap will happen. I hope I'm wrong.

My cousin was in the airport about 48 hours before the blasts- she was saying how eerie the whole situation is, and was marveling (prior to the attack) how little security/police presence there was in the city, period. It's an interesting contrast to me, as when I spent a summer in Paris, there were military with dogs and heavy duty weapons on most corners, and in every train station/airport. I'm a little surprised there wasn't a heavier presence, though I don't know what good it would've done in this case.

Years ago, I was with a group that was traveling across Europe with a concert band. The London bombings (2005) happened the day after we left London, in the same place/time we usually met up. The rest of our trip saw very heavy security, something I had never really seen up to that point in my life. I'll never forget the pall that had fallen over every country we visited as a result.

My thoughts are with Belgium. My thoughts are with Europe. I have that sick feeling in my gut that more crap will happen. I hope I'm wrong.

Sorry to say, you're not wrong.  It's a question of when and where, but not of "if."

Anyone who follows European politics and who knows about the no-go zones, the Syrian rapefugees, the Pew polls on Islam, the European demographic crisis, the rapid rise of right-wing nationalist parties throughout the EU, etc...... knows that this is not going to end well for anybody.

Love him or hate him, Donald Trump is the canary in the coal mine on this side of the Atlantic. More people are waking up to the problem, and his poll numbers are reflecting it.

Anyone who follows European politics and who knows about the no-go zones, the Syrian rapefugees, the Pew polls on Islam, the European demographic crisis, the rapid rise of right-wing nationalist parties throughout the EU, etc...... knows that this is not going to end well for anybody.

Love him or hate him, Donald Trump is the canary in the coal mine on this side of the Atlantic. More people are waking up to the problem, and his poll numbers are reflecting it.

I don't think no-go zones are a real thing. I don't know anything about the Pew polls (would love to see what you're talking about though), but I do know that fascism is on the rise in Europe and here, as you note, and I do think terrorism is the reason.

No-go zones are absolutely a real thing.

The "rise of right-wing nationalist parties" isn't the real problem here, nor is fascism ascendant anywhere except the Muslim world, where it is the dominant political reality.

11 posts on the latest Muslim act of mass murder, and no one has bothered to mention who the perpetrators were or why they did it -- even though everyone here knows.

Heads that are stuck in sand -- willingly! -- do not win wars.

Dead bodies bring the vultures out.

What is this country's problem exactly? The mayhem that the Muslim hordes have brought there?

The "rise of right-wing nationalist parties" isn't the real problem here, nor is fascism ascendant anywhere except the Muslim world, where it is the dominant political reality.

11 posts on the latest Muslim act of mass murder, and no one has bothered to mention who the perpetrators were or why they did it -- even though everyone here knows.

We know it was ISIS.

We know that they want to force a final showdown, Islam vs. the World, for a winner-takes all.

Fascism is not ascendant in the Muslim world. In fact, there is virtually no nationalism at all, which is the hallmark of fascism.  Fundamentalism rules those parts.

If you think fascism is not on the rise in the US, listen to Trump and his merry band of morons; if you think not in Europe, start reading a wider variety of news sources.

EDIT:  And as for no-go zones, provide me with something credible to look at and I will look at it.  The only places I have seen/heard the phrase are Fox News and Breitbart.

Edited by Eleven

Nope, no fascism here. Wanting to treat a whole ethnic group differently, beat up protesters, and wanting to sue the free press. Not here.

And it was ISIS who claimed to be the perpetrators, not "Muslims".

Nope, no fascism here. Wanting to treat a whole ethnic group differently, beat up protesters, and wanting to sue the free press. Not here.

And it was ISIS who claimed to be the perpetrators, not "Muslims".

I am getting to the point where it is difficult for me to differentiate the two, given the supposedly peaceful overwhelming majority's failure to do ANYTHING, EVER, other than to say "don't blame all of us, it's just a few."  Sorry, NS.  

I am getting to the point where it is difficult for me to differentiate the two, given the supposedly peaceful overwhelming majority's failure to do ANYTHING, EVER, other than to say "don't blame all of us, it's just a few."  Sorry, NS.  

Then we've already lost.

From Merriam-Webster:

Full Definition of fascism
  1. 1 often capitalized :  a political philosophy, movement, or regime (as that of the Fascisti) that exalts nation and often race above the individual and that stands for a centralized autocratic government headed by a dictatorial leader, severe economic and social regimentation, and forcible suppression of opposition

2. 2 :  a tendency toward or actual exercise of strong autocratic or dictatorial control <early instances of army fascism and brutality — J. W. Aldridge>

While I will agree that Muslim fascism differs from "classical" fascism in the sense that the bonds to the currently-defined map (and thus what we think of as "nations") are weak, Muslim fascism substitutes Islam (and Sunni/Shiite) for "Germany" or "France" or whatever.  Clearly the other elements are there in spades.

As for Trump:  whatever he's selling, it isn't fascism.  

Here is a pretty even-handed discussion of no-go zones:  http://dailycaller.com/2015/12/02/muslim-no-go-zones-in-europe/

From Merriam-Webster:

Full Definition of fascism
  1. 1 often capitalized :  a political philosophy, movement, or regime (as that of the Fascisti) that exalts nation and often race above the individual and that stands for a centralized autocratic government headed by a dictatorial leader, severe economic and social regimentation, and forcible suppression of opposition

2. 2 :  a tendency toward or actual exercise of strong autocratic or dictatorial control <early instances of army fascism and brutality — J. W. Aldridge>

While I will agree that Muslim fascism differs from "classical" fascism in the sense that the bonds to the currently-defined map (and thus what we think of as "nations") are weak, Muslim fascism substitutes Islam (and Sunni/Shiite) for "Germany" or "France" or whatever.  Clearly the other elements are there in spades.

As for Trump:  whatever he's selling, it isn't fascism.  

Here is a pretty even-handed discussion of no-go zones:  http://dailycaller.com/2015/12/02/muslim-no-go-zones-in-europe/

Speaking of head in the sand...

And seriously, a Daily Caller opinion piece as an even-handed discussion? You're so far off the tracks you don't even know tracks were ever there.

Maybe so.  Maybe when I start seeing imams issue fatwas calling for the deaths of the leaders of these groups on account of their crimes against Islam, I'll feel differently.

Eye for an eye is not how these things work. Muslims turning inward with violence doesn't solve this, or people's opinions on them. In fact, it probably makes it worse. 

Edited by WildCard

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.