After 15 games, who is the most surprising Sabre?

Kelly the Dog

No one is mentioning Reinhart.  I thindk that's because he's growing but it's a slow, steady growth.  He's turning into a FINE hockey player who I think will be a key part of the team going forward but I also don't see him being a flashy splashy player, at least not compared to Eichel.

SAMSON HART WILL BE REIN.

I'd go w/ a few:

Bogo - expected him to miss ~20 games, but not the 1st 20;

Bylsma - did not expect him to change lines this much between games & during, it'll be interesting to see how much opponent specific mixing & matching he does once he settles into combos he likes; and

Ullmark - 1st season in NA & coming off double hip surgery, still believe his leg strength isn't 100%, am really looking forward to seeing him play when he is 100%.

Overall, as a team, they're about what I was expecting - very entertaining and in most all their games.

Great thread Kelly and I will agree with your selection of McCabe. It's pretty unusual for a rookie defenseman to hit the ground running at both ends the way he has. But there have been plenty of good posts, with good suggestions, in here.

Runner-up: Chad Johnson

Biggest negative surprise: I hate to say it, and I think he's coming out of it, but so far it's Zemgus.

Goodness. I have to say oreilly. The guy is incredible. The puck never gets passed him. But I must say there are so many surprises. Foligno has played a solid game. I never expected eichel to be so impressive...everyone on both teams look to him when he caries the puck. Larson was really impressive live. Samson is definitely growing. Ass (Rasmus) and Linus are warriors. Basically I love how well Tim Murray has done and how well disco dan has done at turning this team around. We are on the verge of some incredible hockey. Sorry for autocorrect...I'm not going to reread this

Good morning saber fans! 6 in the morning here in Sweden, coffee on the table and installed at work ;)

I must say that trade you guys got, getting O'Reilly is probably the best thing happened this season for sabers, together with other positive parts.

O'Reilly brings power to your actuall powerplay, he is doing well with Moulson. 

And i can ofcourse not let Ullmark pass on this reply, i believe in my heart this young man will bring success to this team, together with all other talant this team has.

I'm looking forward to the playoffs, and i will freggin come over if you reach the playoffs  :flirt: 

Great thread Kelly and I will agree with your selection of McCabe. It's pretty unusual for a rookie defenseman to hit the ground running at both ends the way he has. 

Yeah, props for the thread and choice.

McCabe is also a pleasant surprise. Is his rapid maturation a function of NCAA play?

Now THERE is a candidate for most surprising.  I am really impressed with the systems and tactics Bylsma has installed.  I never watched the Pens close enough to have an opinion on Bylsma.  To me, the Pens were Sid and Geno.  I never gave the coach much thought.

This would be my choice. Sure there are a few player upgrades, but by and large EVERYONE is playing better under Bylsma. I'm very surprised. 

I have to go with McCabe for the positive.  I truly expected him to be the roster filler.  He could be moved up and down with impunity and I expected that flexibility to be the key factor keeping him in the AHL.  He's not going anywhere at this point.  He's forced the hand of the Sabres.

Ullmark is a surprise but when Lehner comes back he's still going to be sent down to Rochester.  He's here because of necessity.  He sure is making the most of his time here however.

As for Zemgus it's a bit misleading.  There are 4 regular roster players on the Sabres who have a positive +/-.  Reinhart and Larsson are +1, Zemgus and Pysyk are 0.  

I know some aren't huge fans of +/- but still.

Comparably, Gio is -6.  Moulson is -1.

Anyway.. the whole team looks really good.  These games against DAL, STL, and NSH will be some good benchmarks.

Most surprising I would have to go with Georges and Franson.  The D is pretty far better than I expected and that's mainly because of these two.  I believed in the two rooks (can you still call Pysyk a rook?) but did not expect the level of play from these two vets.  When Bogo comes back, our D will be....dare I say good?

• 1) Pysyk: always seems to be in the right position and appears to make all the right decisions
  • 2) Eichel: did not know what to expect and his strength/top line speed are nonpareil. Seems like he was born with a hockey gene
  • 3) The Sabres passing overall; remember last year when they could execute a 6 foot pass ?

I am already nominating Byslma for coach of the year - no joke

• 1) Pysyk: always seems to be in the right position and appears to make all the right decisions
  • 2) Eichel: did not know what to expect and his strength/top line speed are nonpareil. Seems like he was born with a hockey gene
  • 3) The Sabres passing overall; remember last year when they could execute a 6 foot pass ?
I am already nominating Byslma for coach of the year - no joke
The passing thing for me, plus the breakouts are the two most surprising things.

Some will say it is the upgrade in talent, but I think Bylsma has added structure to the team's play where they are being told to do certain things and trust their teammates to do complementary things and that is leading to a huge leap in our ability to exit the zone.

It's not just work harder and good things will happen like it was last year.

Edited by dudacek

Rainhard is the most surprising for me. With the way he was talked about I thought he would need a year in roch. But I think he is showing the promise he was drafted for.

Had we not landed Eichel or another top fwd in this year's draft for whatever reason, I think we'd see Reinhart as a dgem and would be doting all over him.  He'd probably be getting more prominent minutes and would have a few more goals.

I'm curious, why is lehner the number one when he comes back? He hasn't proved to ever be a number 1 and if Ullmark steals the show when lehner is down then so be it, happens all the time in sports. I think at this point if Ullmark is starter material for the next 1-2 months, then keep him and lehner and make Chad expendable

I'm curious, why is lehner the number one when he comes back? He hasn't proved to ever be a number 1 and if Ullmark steals the show when lehner is down then so be it, happens all the time in sports. I think at this point if Ullmark is starter material for the next 1-2 months, then keep him and lehner and make Chad expendable

Ullmark is going to struggle at some point (NHL shooters will figure him out and he'll have to adapt).  There will come a time when we are all glad to have 2 tickets in the good starting goaltender lottery.

Though it isn't technically a surprising Sabre, my revised choice for biggest surprise is through 20% of the season I don't have a whipping boy. There is not 1 player on this squad I don't like. (Please don't confuse that w/ saying I don't want to see some upgrades; I do.) When TM makes the inevitable trade or 2 this season, I'll be sad to see the guys going out go. Though I fully expe t to be happy w/ the trade (s) overall vased on TM's past history.

Because Ullmark doesn't have to clear waivers. We'll be back to Lehner backed up by Johnson.

Though it isn't technically a surprising Sabre, my revised choice for biggest surprise is through 20% of the season I don't have a whipping boy. There is not 1 player on this squad I don't like. (Please don't confuse that w/ saying I don't want to see some upgrades; I do.) When TM makes the inevitable trade or 2 this season, I'll be sad to see the guys going out go. Though I fully expe t to be happy w/ the trade (s) overall vased on TM's past history.

I agree with this 100%.

Ullmark has taken the heat off Johnson, Gionta is shaking off his injury and Franson is succeeding despite his skating.

This is an easy group to root for.

Johnson isn't much to lose.  I have a hard time believing that Ullmark goes down if he keeps playing at this level.

Not sure how it will play out.  But my gut feel is that GMTM will want to go back to the original plan and at least see if it works.  I could see it going either way with either Johnson or Ullmark though. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.