GDT: Philadelphia @ Buffalo, 7:00 pm edt, 10/30/2015

WildCard

Let's look at it another way:  One of the things we admire about ROR is that he is humble.  Many agree that this is part of what makes him a good leader. 

Kane is more in-your-face and boastful, especially in social media.  He also apparently flaunts authority (not meeting dress code in WPG for a team meeting, for instance).  That can rub some people the wrong way and obviously did in WPG.  I like to think that ROR is the type of team leader that won't try to haze Kane into compliance like Byfuglien tried to.

And I won't even address the race thing because that had absolutely nothing to do with my thought process.

Good point. My worry with Kane has been not only that he won't respond to authority, but that he will try to be authority himself. 

Who's going to tell the guy in the video below to mind his own business?

https://youtu.be/MLqpw_uKyds?t=9s

I have no idea who Drake is, but Derek Roy acted pretty similarly to Kane and the international media never was reporting his "antics." Same goes for the other Kane; until he was accused of rape, it was a "boys will be boys" mentality towards him.

Nobody liked Pat Kane as a person. Even before the rape thing. I don't remember Derek Roy ever being kicked off a team by his teammates. 

And Drake is one of the most famous musicians in the world right now. 

Exactly. And how can anyone with a straight face say Nolan and staff were in the position to do their best coaching job? It's hysterical that some on this board, the virulent tankers, can criticize Nolan for not doing a better job. Talk about having your cake and eating it too.

It's all but common knowledge that Nolan doesn't really have a system, in the modern sense. Simple game. North south. Brick walls.

There's nothing wrong with or inaccurate about the observation that, in addition to being given better talent, Bylsma's implemented far better structure to the team's play.

I think it's a stretch to say that he was kicked off the team by his teammates, but one thing is clear, and that is that he never wanted to be in Winnipeg. Maybe that ticked his teammates off, I don't know. I do know that the international media picks on him when there are plenty of other players committing similar so-called "antics."

There's no doubt that E Kane is a Delta Bravo. No big deal, there.

I agree, though, that there seems to be a bit more stank thrown his way - not even by MSM, more by blogosphere and Twitter - that seems disparate from how other DBs get discussed, perceived.

Sheeyit. I shouldn't have let the MSM off the hook. Frickin' Damien Cox, man.

Edited by That Aud Smell

International media? The humorist Mark Russell once joked about the Bradford International Airport, because the vending machine had Doritos.

It's all but common knowledge that Nolan doesn't really have a system, in the modern sense. Simple game. North south. Brick walls.

There's nothing wrong with or inaccurate about the observation that, in addition to being given better talent, Bylsma's implemented far better structure to the team's play.

This implies Nolan would have been allowed to implement a better structure or system than he did. Don't you think he knew the score?

I think it's a stretch to say that he was kicked off the team by his teammates, but one thing is clear, and that is that he never wanted to be in Winnipeg. Maybe that ticked his teammates off, I don't know. I do know that the international media picks on him when there are plenty of other players committing similar so-called "antics."

Not sure what makes his "antics" more notable.  Maybe it was just that he was trolling his former team.  He played hard on the ice but did everything else he could to get traded.  I don't know what to make of him with respect to his chemistry with the Sabres.... yet.

Someone brought up the helicopter ride to see the ball game.  I don't put that in the same bucket of "antics" as some of the other things he's said and done.  I thought that was kind of cool.

This implies Nolan would have been allowed to implement a better structure or system than he did. Don't you think he knew the score?

I have it on good authority that Nolan laughed, in a dismissive way, when asked during a job interview about how he felt about the left wing lock. He copped to not really knowing what it was in any detail, and explained his approach (simple game, north south, etc.).

Nfw Nolan was prohibited from doing the best he could with what he was given.

Edited by That Aud Smell

International media? The humorist Mark Russell once joked about the Bradford International Airport, because the vending machine had Doritos.

I don't think Nolan had a leash on him.  I think we saw the real Ted Nolan.

Ryan O'Reilly drives drunk and busts a Tim Hortons window, then abandons his vehicle, and gets lauded for leadership. Evander Kane dates a model and takes pictures with money, and gets vilified for antics because he doesn't conform to what a bunch of old hockey curmudgeons think constitutes a hockey player. It's absurd.

Ryan O'Reilly drives drunk and busts a Tim Hortons window, then abandons his vehicle, and gets lauded for leadership. Evander Kane dates a model and takes pictures with money, and gets vilified for antics because he doesn't conform to what a bunch of old hockey curmudgeons think constitutes a hockey player. It's absurd.

Wow, you're so right.  Good post.

Absolutely. You could say there's something there about a single incident vs a consistent persona, but I think Kane gets crap for absolutely nothing.

I also like that Big Buf has been propped up as an "authority" and some type of great dude. He has also been arrested and had on-ice issues at times. He's no angel.

Not sure what makes his "antics" more notable.  Maybe it was just that he was trolling his former team.  He played hard on the ice but did everything else he could to get traded.  I don't know what to make of him with respect to his chemistry with the Sabres.... yet.

Someone brought up the helicopter ride to see the ball game.  I don't put that in the same bucket of "antics" as some of the other things he's said and done.  I thought that was kind of cool.

Cripes I jump in the floatplane for a 15 minute ride over to Vancouver to see the game on a work night and I'm just a poor white boy. Kanes a rich hockey player thats worked hard all his life to get to this spot he's in. I agree big J, I thought it was cool too. Wasn't McGinn with him. Nobody rags on him for being there.

You can view his personality/actions anyway you want, but I know at least in my case, it has nothing to do with race. That's what got me going in this thread. 

As for O'Reilly the Tim Hortons thing struck me as an isolated incident right after getting a $60M contact. Maybe I'm just racist, who knows. 

What "antics" has Kane pulled since he's been a Sabre? That's the important question. This conversation started with someone asking how O'Reilly will handle Kane's "antics". Again, he hasn't done anything negative since he's been here and there's nothing to say he will in the future.

As TBPhD pointed out, if you believe Kane is likely to pull some sh?t, then you must believe ROR is likely to be charged with DWI again.

All I have seen of Sabrez Kane so far is a loyal company man.

What "antics" has Kane pulled since he's been a Sabre? That's the important question. This conversation started with someone asking how O'Reilly will handle Kane's "antics". Again, he hasn't done anything negative since he's been here and there's nothing to say he will in the future.

As TBPhD pointed out, if you believe Kane is likely to pull some sh?t, then you must believe ROR is likely to be charged with DWI again.

All I have seen of Sabrez Kane so far is a loyal company man.

He's been fine. I still think it's racism when it comes to how much he gets questioned and called a thug or punk. Never heard the cocaine loving Richards called that or questioned but whatever

Outstanding post

Cripes I jump in the floatplane for a 15 minute ride over to Vancouver to see the game on a work night and I'm just a poor white boy. Kanes a rich hockey player thats worked hard all his life to get to this spot he's in. I agree big J, I thought it was cool too. Wasn't McGinn with him. Nobody rags on him for being there.

Yes McGinn and Colaiacovo both accompanied him

He's been fine. I still think it's racism when it comes to how much he gets questioned and called a thug or punk. Never heard the cocaine loving Richards called that or questioned but whatever

You know what I think it is?  It's his openness about who he is relative to what he posts on teh twittur.  If you're of a certain age, that's just par for the course.  If you're of a different certain age, it seems very improprietous.  For those of us who don't twut, all we see are the noteworthy newsmaking twarks.  We haven't built up  filter to realize it's just par for the course.

I'll just go away now and take my Metamucil.

You can view his personality/actions anyway you want, but I know at least in my case, it has nothing to do with race. That's what got me going in this thread. 

As for O'Reilly the Tim Hortons thing struck me as an isolated incident right after getting a $60M contact. Maybe I'm just racist, who knows. 

As many have pointed out E.Kane has had no "issues" as a Sabre yet you seem to expect him not to respond to authority. Why? His tweets? His perceived demeanor as a d-bag? It's a curious reaction, that's all. As for the race card, race has been proven over and over to color (sorry) people's opinions of individuals. Kind of like when black people are pulled over by police, the assumption is they had to have done something.

As many have pointed out E.Kane has had no "issues" as a Sabre yet you seem to expect him not to respond to authority. Why? His tweets? His perceived demeanor as a d-bag? It's a curious reaction, that's all. As for the race card, race has been proven over and over to color (sorry) people's opinions of individuals. Kind of like when black people are pulled over by police, the assumption is they had to have done something.

Gut reaction. Personality type. Consistent history of being a pain. Narcissism. History of dealing with people with a very similar personality. No sense of having changed at all. Just a general feeling of "it's a matter of time". I know everyone wants some sort of evidence but I don't know how to give it to you. I believe in intuition and that's how I feel about him. 

I'm barking up the wrong tree by posting this on a Sabres board, I know. But I've been a fan as long as most of you so I don't care. I'm just going to say how I feel about it. I don't get off on having rose-colored glasses anymore. If I think Eichel has been a little non-chalant lately I'm going to say it, if I think Pegula is into it more for the money than the team I'm going to say it, and if I think Kane is a potential locker room cancer I'm going to say it too. I don't feel a need to "protect" anybody anymore. 

I'm not all negative. I love ROR's play. Maybe he's a scumbag DUI driver, who knows. I just don't think something like that affects a locker room as strongly. I think this board underrates Ennis. Girgs is a future captain. Eichel has the talent to be a smaller-sized Mario Lemieux. I wish there was another black guy on the team so I can somehow show that I don't care about race but there isn't. I think Mike Grier is a swell guy, if that helps. Bailey seems fine to me. I like what PK Subban did with the children's hospital. I think Sammy Watkins was correct to call out Bills fans, I forgave Freddy for the drag racing thing immediately, I like gospel music. Don't know what else to add. 

If a group of white people want to accuse another white guy of being racist just because they don't understand his point of view. Then whatever, do it. I guess that's America in 2015. 

I want to add that I watched lots of Percy Harvin videos when he got signed by the Bills and liked him immediately, and he has a far worse reputation than Kane. 

Gut reaction. Personality type. Consistent history of being a pain. Narcissism. History of dealing with people with a very similar personality. No sense of having changed at all. Just a general feeling of "it's a matter of time". I know everyone wants some sort of evidence but I don't know how to give it to you. I believe in intuition and that's how I feel about him.

I'm barking up the wrong tree by posting this on a Sabres board, I know. But I've been a fan as long as most of you so I don't care. I'm just going to say how I feel about it. I don't get off on having rose-colored glasses anymore. If I think Eichel has been a little non-chalant lately I'm going to say it, if I think Pegula is into it more for the money than the team I'm going to say it, and if I think Kane is a potential locker room cancer I'm going to say it too. I don't feel a need to "protect" anybody anymore.

I'm not all negative. I love ROR's play. Maybe he's a scumbag DUI driver, who knows. I just don't think something like that affects a locker room as strongly. I think this board underrates Ennis. Girgs is a future captain. Eichel has the talent to be a smaller-sized Mario Lemieux. I wish there was another black guy on the team so I can somehow show that I don't care about race but there isn't. I think Mike Grier is a swell guy, if that helps. Bailey seems fine to me. I like what PK Subban did with the children's hospital. I think Sammy Watkins was correct to call out Bills fans, I forgave Freddy for the drag racing thing immediately, I like gospel music. Don't know what else to add.

If a group of white people want to accuse another white guy of being racist just because they don't understand his point of view. Then whatever, do it. I guess that's America in 2015.

I want to add that I watched lots of Percy Harvin videos when he got signed by the Bills and liked him immediately, and he has a far worse reputation than Kane.

I can't believe you wrote out that whole post and didn't get to a single specific. So basically you're basing your dislike of the guy on a whole bunch of nothing. Edited by TrueBlueGED

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.