New year, tons of firepower, still cant score.

matter2003

I'm convinced that anyone who thinks this season doesn't look much different from the last two hasn't actually watched a single second of the team play. Yes, they're still low on the standings, but they are hugely improved on the ice.

Agreed. Also, there does seem to be a lot of puck-luck going against us, but then again it could be because we aren't used to seeing so many chances for, perhaps the likelihood of bad bounces naturally goes up with a higher quantity of shots for. More chances, more opportunities for "bounces" to not go our way.

Some of those bounces will start to go our way though, it's just a matter of time and the law of averages.

Also if anyone does think this team isn't vastly improved from last year, please raise your hand so I can put you on ignore.

:w00t:

The only issue I have seen is why is it mostly Reinhart constantly going into those so called dirty areas and going to the front of the net to screen the goalies. More players need to be involved in this. The other thing I have seen so far that is troubling is the lack of quality chances and I'm not talking last night. The game against the Leafs Bernier seen almost every shot and really only let up that fluke puck on its side shot by Kane. I get it they out getting more pucks on net and out shooting teams but they need quality chances over quantity.

I don't think that goal was a fluke at all.

The Sabres out shot the Lightning 16-3 in the first period.  They out shot a team that is favored to be in the SCF mix again this year.  

When was the last time the Sabres had a +13 in shot differential in a single period... hell in a whole game?

I'm happy.

This team wasn't supposed to be a playoff team.  it was supposed to improve dramatically and then next year continue that momentum.  So... away we go.

For those who still can't get on board.. think of this perspective.  The next time you watch a game listen for the phrase "but not out".  You won't hear it as much anymore.  Be happy about that.

How DARE you critisise Lindy's "Let's have all 5 guys drop below the hashmarks, and let the points remain uncontested meaning if you don't clear or freeze the puck within 20 seconds you're dead meat in the 2nd period"???

Sorry, couldn't resist, but basically the above statement pretty much describes what I'm most happy with - No more 60 minute Alamo hockey. :flirt:

Edited by Kristian

The ongoing comparison of the Tank/Rebuilds at 8 games into the season;     

Chicago Blackhawks - 2007  -  5-3-0,  22 goals for, 19 goals against

Sabres  2-6-0, 16 goals for,  27 goals against.  

I'm much more concerned with how we look more than having 6 less goals, and would generally be more interested in the advanced stats. The Canadien's game was anomaly anyways. 

The ongoing comparison of the Tank/Rebuilds at 8 games into the season;     

Chicago Blackhawks - 2007  -  5-3-0,  22 goals for, 19 goals against

Sabres  2-6-0, 16 goals for,  27 goals against.  

Yes I know the Sabres let some winnable games get away, but in those three games they faced TB twice and MTL, two teams that are considered Cup favorites.  In the 8 games Chicago played, how many of those were against really good teams?

I think the other thing to consider is the the amount of change the Sabres went through.  Basically half the team is new, the coach is new, the system is new (as in, they are finally being given a system), etc.  Oh and also the goalie they traded for stubbed his toe a few minutes into the first game.

We will also be heading into our next game without: 1. Our best winger, 2. Our best defensemen, and 3. Our starting goalie. That's a hell of a group of players to be missing. Combine that with all the youth on this team, the chemistry that needs to be built, the new coach and new system, and expectations for immediate success really need to be tempered.

Yes I know the Sabres let some winnable games get away, but in those three games they faced TB twice and MTL, two teams that are considered Cup favorites.  In the 8 games Chicago played, how many of those were against really good teams?

I think the other thing to consider is the the amount of change the Sabres went through.  Basically half the team is new, the coach is new, the system is new (as in, they are finally being given a system), etc.  Oh and also the goalie they traded for stubbed his toe a few minutes into the first game.

Interesting question about the quality of Chicago's opponents - so I checked their October opponents records for the 2007-08 Season for the first 10 games of the season

October 2007 Chicago played  

The Wild, who won their division that season.  L Chicago

Red Wings - played twice -  2 wins, Chicago.  Red Wings were Stanley Cup champs that season

San Jose -  L Chicago - San Jose won the Pacific division

Dallas - W Chicago.  Dallas didn't win any titles, but had a winning record that year - 45-30-7

Boston -  L Chicago -  Boston posted a winning record - 41-29-12.  

St Louis - L - Chicago -  St. Louis posted a losing record for the 2007-08 season

Colorado -  W- Chicago -  Colorado came in 2nd in the Northwest Division -  44-31-7

Toronto -  W -Chicago - Toronto was sucky as usual - 36-35-11

Columbus - L- Chicago -   this was another loss to a team with a losing record - 34-36-12

So in their first 10 games, Chicago was .500 against some decent opposition, including 2 wins against the Stanley Cup winners that year, the Red Wings,  1 Win against the Stars who had a winning record for the season, a win against Colorado which also had a winning record.   3 of their 5 losses were to teams with winnings records for the season.  

And Chicago had a MASSIVE rebuild in the off season similar to Buffalo's - it was a Tank And Rebuild just like Buffalo.   And, Chicago didn't have Joe Quenneville as HC yet either.   So that's why I plan to continue to compare the 2015-16 Sabres to the 2007-08 Blackhawks;   with Chicago we have an immensely successful tank and rebuild to compare our results to.  

So, after 10 games

Blackhawks - 5-5-0,  27 goals for,  29 goals against

Sabres - 3-7-0,   23 goals for,  34 against.    That -11 goal differential is telling, vs Chicago's -2 differential after 10 games. 

I'm going to have to plug all this into a spreadsheet - will make keeping a running tally easier.  

Sabres have a lot going for them right now...in top 10 in Corsi, top 3 in shots for/shots against differential, and are tied for the fewest penalties in the NHL with Carolina.

Unfortunately their goaltending has been abysmal, with a team save percentage coming in at under 88%, and a league worst penalty killing percentage coming in at an embarrassing 69%

The Sabres are averaging about a half a goal more this season (2.27) than they ended last season with (1.87). Which may not seem like a lot, if you look at the GF average compared to other teams, more teams are struggling to score this season. Last season a 2.27 would have placed the Sabres 27th, this season it's good for 21st. I know these are aren't blow your mind numbers, it will be interesting to see how these numbers play out for the rest of the season. Considering the slow start, 21st is decent, borderline respectable. 

It will come together but let's remember one thing the defense gets the play started most times and our defense is suspect at best. Here's a thing that needs to be noted O'Reilly is the highest paid guy on the team and suppose to be your top line guy and of right now doesn't look like he's earning that pay. We have some tough games coming up as we could possibly start the season 0-5 before we face the Leafs.

How does 5th in the league sound?

http://www.nhl.com/stats/player?reportType=season&report=skatersummary&season=20152016&gameType=2&sort=points&aggregate=0&pos=S

Good strong finish to the month - back up to 4-7, we threw a monkey-wrench in Philly's winning ways (they're now down to 4-4) and Toronto is now at the bottom of the Atlantic. 

For comparison, we were 2-9 in October 2014;    and this team look a lot more solid.   Good stuff.   I would have liked to have seen 5-6 or 6-6 for the month, but we'll take the progress.   

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.