This just in. Sabres and Oilers are good

dejeanneret

While the Sabres offense is putting on a show with all the new shiny toys they have, last year's the other bottom feeder is making some noise of their own.

Edmonton is 6-0 in pre-season play, with a +9 goal ratio.  That McDavid guy has 4 assists in 2 games.  Although they've only played 3 games, the Oilers have 8 players with atleast a point a game.

As for Arizona, the loser of the McDavid/Eichel sweepstakes?  They are last in the entire league in pre-season play with a single point.  I guess that tank thing worked after all.

Now, I get it's preseason.  But both Buffalo and Edmonton have much stronger rosters (not including their new lottery assets) and better goaltending and it's beginning to show on the ice. They also have competent leaders behind the bench as well as some of the shrewdest GM's in the game.

The rise of both teams will lend more credibility to the "tank" effect in future years when all world players become available for the draft. 

It wouldn't surprise me if both teams were atleast in the playoff hunt this year. 

While the Sabres offense is putting on a show with all the new shiny toys they have, last year's the other bottom feeder is making some noise of their own.

Edmonton is 6-0 in pre-season play, with a +9 goal ratio.  That McDavid guy has 4 assists in 2 games.  Although they've only played 3 games, the Oilers have 8 players with atleast a point a game.

As for Arizona, the loser of the McDavid/Eichel sweepstakes?  They are last in the entire league in pre-season play with a single point.  I guess that tank thing worked after all.

Now, I get it's preseason.  But both Buffalo and Edmonton have much stronger rosters (not including their new lottery assets) and better goaltending and it's beginning to show on the ice. They also have competent leaders behind the bench as well as some of the shrewdest GM's in the game.

The rise of both teams will lend more credibility to the "tank" effect in future years when all world players become available for the draft. 

It wouldn't surprise me if both teams were atleast in the playoff hunt this year. 

Some good points here, but we must be careful to not put too much stock in to preseason results.

*Also, before today's game, McDavid only had 3 assists. In his last game, some sources said he got 2 but he only had 1 officially. After tonight, McDavid now has 4 assists so far this preseason, and 4 points total.

It's worth noting Eberle got hurt tonight and early indications are it's not good. But in general I agree. I view Edmonton like the Islanders from two years ago: a decent team that was totally sunk by bad goaltending. I don't know how good Talbot is, but I'm pretty sure he's better than bad AHL level, which is what they had last year. The blue line is still a little iffy though because unlike the Isles, the Oilers didn't get Boychuk and Leddy dropped in their lap.

Shoulder into the boards. Didn't seem too harsh, but he was in a sling after and a reporter said they were told it's not good. Assume we'll know more tomorrow.

Huge loss for them if he's out for more than a month. A slow start for that team and they could fall into old habits/mentalities.

Has anyone seen McDavid so far this preseason? How's he looked? Eichel has lived up to the hype and then some so far IMo

Edited by WildCard

Huge loss for them if he's out for more than a month. A slow start for that team and they could fall into old habits/mentalities.

Has anyone seen McDavid so far this preseason? How's he looked? Eichel has lived up to the hype and then some so far IMo

McDavid has looked good. Has made a few nice plays out there. Eichel has been more impressive though. And that's not just the Sabres bias talking!

Last preseason our 2nd best line was Hodgson - Grigorenko - Stewart.   We'll see what happens when the real season starts.

McDavid has looked good. Has made a few nice plays out there. Eichel has been more impressive though. And that's not just the Sabres bias talking!

Eichel brings a more physical game than Mcdavid.

Edited by Huckleberry

Last preseason our 2nd best line was Hodgson - Grigorenko - Stewart.   We'll see what happens when the real season starts.

Not that I'm an expert, but I think some of both of these has to do with him playing college instead of junior. Played against older guys, more time for strength training. McDavid will have the advantage of endurance; he's used to playing 60+ games a season, Eichel would only play around 40.

Not that I'm an expert, but I think some of both of these has to do with him playing college instead of junior. Played against older guys, more time for strength training. McDavid will have the advantage of endurance; he's used to playing 60+ games a season, Eichel would only play around 40.

Eichel played at least 52 last year. 40 w/ BU. (Not sure if the 40 includes NCAAs or not; could be more there as well.) The prospects game, WJC, & WC added at least 12 games, probably closer to 15-20.

Eichel played at least 52 last year. 40 w/ BU. (Not sure if the 40 includes NCAAs or not; could be more there as well.) The prospects game, WJC, & WC added at least 12 games, probably closer to 15-20.

And McDavid played 88 without counting the prospects games, World Juniors or anything like that. The junior schedule is much closer to the NHL schedule, the grind is harder, too, because there is less time in between games. Again, I don't know any of this first hand, but I've heard Paul Hamilton talk about it on WGR before, about how some college players have a harder time adjusting to the schedule. Not that its a long term thing, but I bet we see some Eichel dropoff sometime in the early-winter while he gets used to it.

Edited by sabills

Edmonton is 6-0 in pre-season play, with a +9 goal ratio.

A ratio involves a fraction. What you're talking about is goal differential.

/pedantic

Not sure about that. Remember that it was essential the Sabres win this tank because in coming years it will be more difficult to predictably end up with a top player (worst team in the league can do a lot worse than second in the draft).

Our best line but hardly a barn burner. Surely the output so far isn't sustainable, but in preseason this year, not only is Eichel tearing it up, the Sabres are getting scoring and flow from all lines.  Will they score 4-6 goals every game?  No, but they will surely put up much better offensive numbers than last year.

That, and Eichel is scoring like crazy.

The Sabres have made other teams look like the Washington Generals in some of the preseason games.

The Sabres will surely struggle against the top teams of the NHL (see also Bills v. Patriots), but I'll be shocked if they haven't turned the corner.

A ratio involves a fraction. What you're talking about is goal differential.

/pedantic

Not sure about that. Remember that it was essential the Sabres win this tank because in coming years it will be more difficult to predictably end up with a top player (worst team in the league can do a lot worse than second in the draft).

Also as bad as they were the oil did not tank last year. 

I bet we see some Eichel dropoff sometime in the early-winter while he gets used to it.

I wouldn't be surprised if Bylsma put him in the pressbox when they have back-to-back games and during other grind stretches to cover for that.  I think the 13th forward will get a lot of playing time this season (not just because of that, but because I think with all the youth several players will need rest, pressbox time, etc.)

Also as bad as they were the oil did not tank last year. 

Agreed.  They've just had an amazing run of luck in the lottery.  That actually supports the point I was trying to make.

I'm not one to put much stock in the results of pre-season games- mostly because coaches haven't game-planned and the NHL/AHL mismatches are just about every other shifts. But we can begin to see some lines taking shape and the beginning of some ideas - already I know this is going to be a lot more fun than the last two years. 

Nice to see the Sabres scoring some goals.  With Bylsma's system and a legit top-2 lines there is no reason we can't score a goal per game more than last year.  But, I never put too much stock in preseason records since half the players are prospects and for the most part coaches are experimenting (and certain veterans aren't throwing too many checks).

Maybe I'm biased but I was actually happy we got Eichel since he is a little stronger and IMHO is capable of playing a more physical game than McDavid.  Both will be great, but the physical side of the game is much more important at this level than in Juniors or College.

Edited by Potato

We knew Eichel could light the lamp.  He's just meeting (our wildly inflated) expectations.  Even more impressive is the secondary scoring from people like Deslauriers and Rodrigues.  The last two seasons, teams would shut down our top line and after that there wasn't much other scoring.  I think this season will be radically different.  Two very good scoring lines, and two lines that will likely chip in the timely secondary goal.

Maybe I'm biased but I was actually happy we got Eichel

Me too.  With all the other favorables like the physical, the other thing he brings is that he seems to be a natural leader, not in the style of a nasty alpha dog, but more like a guy that works hard, does his job, and has a natural charisma that others will follow.  He doesn't need the C; he's already assumed a leadership role of sorts.  The Sabres have been so devoid of leadership for so long, and suddenly there are 6-8 guys worthy of the C.

I will be attending both the Sabres' opener on Oct. 8 and the Oilers' game on Oct. 10 in Nashville.  I believe I will be the first human to witness both an Eichel and a McDavid regular season NHL game.

B-)

(Actually... it appears the only way that wouldn't be true is if someone went to EDM@STL on Oct. 8 and TBL@BUF on Oct. 10 afternoon.)

It is wayyy to early for any celebratory declarations.  Preseason, man, preseason.

We knew Eichel could light the lamp.  He's just meeting (our wildly inflated) expectations.  Even more impressive is the secondary scoring from people like Deslauriers and Rodrigues.  The last two seasons, teams would shut down our top line and after that there wasn't much other scoring.  I think this season will be radically different.  Two very good scoring lines, and two lines that will likely chip in the timely secondary goal.

Me too.  With all the other favorables like the physical, the other thing he brings is that he seems to be a natural leader, not in the style of a nasty alpha dog, but more like a guy that works hard, does his job, and has a natural charisma that others will follow.  He doesn't need the C; he's already assumed a leadership role of sorts.  The Sabres have been so devoid of leadership for so long, and suddenly there are 6-8 guys worthy of the C.

Deslauriers is sneakily offensive if given half a chance.

Just to point out from the original post the part about Arizona losing out on the top 2 and being last in the preseason, out of the 3 teams being discussed, they also probably did the least of them to change over their roster and are depending more on the very good youth in theor system to step forward in the next year or 2. Buffalo used a good chunk of their youth to buy nhl ready top guys who are now suiting up for them and Edmonton already has a bunch of top of the draft guys with NHL experience and made a move to shore up their biggest weakness in net.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.