Kim Pegula and Buffalo Sabres new goal song

LGR4GM

This is really really dumb.

Whatever, man. My opinion is iust as valid as yours. You think my post is dumb and I think you listen to whiny chick rock. We can agree to disagree. This is America, you're free to listen to all the crappy music that you like. I'm sure you'd hate the music I listen to as well.

I like the Goo Goo Dolls, and honestly I loved the Better Days thing. I was also 13/14 when they made it though

I actually like better days as long as I don't hear it all the time.  I think the goal song thing is really silly.  If we had one for 40 years, tradition woot. Bringing it up now, meh. Whatever works, as long as the goal horn continues.

I've got the seeds of a goal song version. Think it's worth persuing?

Probably not since I think they already have decided on Swords. But a fan version for a midgame or "victory song" tradition might appeal to them. The song's in the public domain, no? That simplifies things.

No man should listen to the Goo Goo Dolls. Their market should be teenage girls and teenage girls only.

Like I said, those who dis the Goos without qualification are ill-informed, and would do well to learn some local music history.

Exhibit 1:

When I went to see the Goos during this era, it was a 2:1 guys to gals ratio at most shows. Lot of skaters, lot of punks.

So, where you a skater?

I didn't fit the scene of any of those dudes. I just really liked good music - especially good live music. I'm still that way.

Circa late 80s, early 90s, the Goos would blow the fookin' doors off of a joint. They were amazing.

When a band has created that much good material and given so many great live shows, I'm more than willing to give them a pass on monetizing their art and earning some money. They did their time as struggling artists.

Whatever, man. My opinion is iust as valid as yours. You think my post is dumb and I think you listen to whiny chick rock. We can agree to disagree. This is America, you're free to listen to all the crappy music that you like. I'm sure you'd hate the music I listen to as well.

I don't listen to the goo goo dolls at all, but it wouldn't matter if I did (in fact, I'ma check them out on youtube now because of Aud).  Saying an entire gender shouldn't listen to a band is ignorant and (sorry to drop a bad word) silly.

In Drunkard's defense, the Goo's more modern and popular oeuvre could lead a reasonable person to say: Psshh. That band's weak. Fit only for teenage girls (and soccer moms) who want to swoon over Johnny singing Iris, Slide, and so on.

My point is that the Goos had a significant run as an authentic and awesome power-punk-pop act. Those who don't know that, should know that.

Why not do a Sabre specific song ala "Jump, Shout" or "Rock 'em Sabres"?  Its the lameness that makes it good.  Look at the Bills Shout song.  That is a freaking marketing jingle from like 1988, but who amongst us doesn't get fired up when hearing it? 

Actually, it's from 1959.

I didn't fit the scene of any of those dudes. I just really liked good music - especially good live music. I'm still that way.

Circa late 80s, early 90s, the Goos would blow the fookin' doors off of a joint. They were amazing.

When a band has created that much good material and given so many great live shows, I'm more than willing to give them a pass on monetizing their art and earning some money. They did their time as struggling artists.

This basic principle - of an artistic endeavor being great early on, only to slide into mediocrity with the passage of time, is very common. Otherwise known as "The Simpsons Effect".

Why not do a Sabre specific song ala "Jump, Shout" or "Rock 'em Sabres"?  Its the lameness that makes it good.  Look at the Bills Shout song.  That is a freaking marketing jingle from like 1988, but who amongst us doesn't get fired up when hearing it? 

Was anyone else a fan of the Black Keys song they used a few years back? We didn't have a good team at the time, but I liked the song. "Lonely Boy".

This basic principle - of an artistic endeavor being great early on, only to slide into mediocrity with the passage of time, is very common. Otherwise known as "The Simpsons Effect".

There is some of that in play, I suspect.

But I'm not above or beyond acknowledging that they "sold out" (or however you want to put it). I don't (won't) begrudge musicians their right to do that. It's hard to get paid out there in the world.

There is some of that in play, I suspect.

But I'm not above or beyond acknowledging that they "sold out" (or however you want to put it). I don't (won't) begrudge musicians their right to do that. It's hard to get paid out there in the world.

The reality is, you sign a contract with a record label and you are obligated to sell what they've asked you to sell.  The Goo Goo Dolls are no more sellouts than I am.  Sometimes you gotta do what you'd rather not do to take care of your financial needs.  I'm not gonna hold it against them.  I'm not gonna put Goo Goo Dolls in my Pandora playlist either though.

Was anyone else a fan of the Black Keys song they used a few years back? We didn't have a good team at the time, but I liked the song. "Lonely Boy".

Love the black keys. Any of their songs would do.

The reality is, you sign a contract with a record label and you are obligated to sell what they've asked you to sell.  The Goo Goo Dolls are no more sellouts than I am.  Sometimes you gotta do what you'd rather not do to take care of your financial needs.  I'm not gonna hold it against them.  I'm not gonna put Goo Goo Dolls in my Pandora playlist either though.

I say give their earlier stuff a whirl.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.