Sabrespace Rod and Gun Club

darksabre

Been a few years but The pike and muskie are longer but not as fat as the ones we use to catch on lake Huron... eg caught a 36" pike on st lawerence weighed 7 lbs, 26" pike on Huron weighed 5 lbs... 

I just remember being shocked at the difference in weight v length.

Edited by North Buffalo

3 hours ago, Weave said:

Do they average larger in St L than in Niagara River?

Not sure if enough available data has been collected to definitively say one over the other but if I had to guess I'd speculate SLR muskies may run larger.  Both rivers are top notch and the fact that those lunkers exist is in part attributed to the conservation minded anglers who fish for them and practice catch and release.

Even more interesting would be a comparison of upper Niagara vs. lower Niagara populations.  

3 hours ago, North Buffalo said:

Been a few years but The pike and muskie are longer but not as fat as the ones we use to catch on lake Huron... eg caught a 36" pike on st lawerence weighed 7 lbs, 26" pike on Huron weighed 5 lbs... 

I just remember being shocked at the difference in weight v length.

I wonder if the speed of the current in the St Lawrence is the reason? 

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, Indabuff said:

Not sure if enough available data has been collected to definitively say one over the other but if I had to guess I'd speculate SLR muskies may run larger.  Both rivers are top notch and the fact that those lunkers exist is in part attributed to the conservation minded anglers who fish for them and practice catch and release.

Even more interesting would be a comparison of upper Niagara vs. lower Niagara populations.  

I’ve never played with the muskies in the lower river.  It sure does have a rep though.  I used to fish the upper river for muskies back when I lived in Erie County.  There are some beasts lurking in there.

Im headed to another musky hotspot for 4 days next week, Chautauqua.  Back before catch and release was a thing we took a 51” fish out of Chautauqua.  What a thrill that was.  That weren’t quite so common as they are now.  Not that they are common now.

Not planning to fish for muskies next week.  Will be bringing my kayak to fish out of.  Might be an interesting story to tell if I hook up with a big one in the plastic boat.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, Tondas said:

I fished once in my life at age 7.  So a question from a less-than-novice.  Do you guys fish for the excitement of the catch or do you eat what you catch, or both?

Both.  Depends.  Walleye, perch, crappies go in the freezer.  And those are what I mostly fish for.  
Walleyes are not particularly fun to catch.  They don’t put up much of a fight.  Walleye fishing is grocery shopping.  But I still enjoy it.  A day fishing is better than a day working, and all that.

Perch fishing can be alot of fun.  It is usually alot of action when you find a school.  They put up a better fight for their size. And it’s grocery fishing.

Crappie fishing is alot like perch fishing.

I sometimes fish for other species.  That is always about entertainment/excitement.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

^what he said.

My go to fishing is steelhead.  It's nearly always catch and release unless I get a gravid brown trout hen.  I'll normally take the fish since I use the eggs for that type of fishing.  I'll smoke the fish.

I also do inland trout fishing.  That's all catch and release for me.

14 minutes ago, Indabuff said:

^what he said.

My go to fishing is steelhead.  It's nearly always catch and release unless I get a gravid brown trout hen.  I'll normally take the fish since I use the eggs for that type of fishing.  I'll smoke the fish.

I also do inland trout fishing.  That's all catch and release for me.

Haven't done the inland thing in many years.  I should pick it up again.  I'll be working in the southern tier in about 3 weeks.  I usually keep fishing gear in my vehicle.  I might have to change the gear I keep in the car.  Quite a few streams between the new employer and home.

39 minutes ago, Weave said:

Haven't done the inland thing in many years.  I should pick it up again.  I'll be working in the southern tier in about 3 weeks.  I usually keep fishing gear in my vehicle.  I might have to change the gear I keep in the car.  Quite a few streams between the new employer and home.

Lots of nice streams down there with PFR.  Hardly any fishing pressure either.  When I need to recharge the soul batteries it's an ideal way to do it.  

Got back from the 1000 Islands last night. The Wind finally died down the last two days and we were able to find some smallies. I had two snap the line at the boat. My fault, I was using old line. Landed a few others and then My Dad caught this one yesterday morning and put all of us to shame 

CBAABC63-9BE9-4ECA-8B4A-340E6A030427.jpeg

• Like (+1) 4
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

On 7/29/2020 at 3:13 PM, Weave said:

I’ve never played with the muskies in the lower river.  It sure does have a rep though.  I used to fish the upper river for muskies back when I lived in Erie County.  There are some beasts lurking in there.

Im headed to another musky hotspot for 4 days next week, Chautauqua.  Back before catch and release was a thing we took a 51” fish out of Chautauqua.  What a thrill that was.  That weren’t quite so common as they are now.  Not that they are common now.

Not planning to fish for muskies next week.  Will be bringing my kayak to fish out of.  Might be an interesting story to tell if I hook up with a big one in the plastic boat.

Hey Weave, I'm at Chautauqua right now! My family has a cottage on the lake just outside Chautauqua Institution. Where are your fave fishing spots here?  Would be fun to connect over a cast and a Labatt Blue!

9 hours ago, Jävə Keith said:

Hey Weave, I'm at Chautauqua right now! My family has a cottage on the lake just outside Chautauqua Institution. Where are your fave fishing spots here?  Would be fun to connect over a cast and a Labatt Blue!

We’re leaving tomorrow and schedule is full.  Sorry.  We used to have a place in the Institution.  Really miss it.  Now we rent a place a bit south of Predergast.

I don’t catch alot of fish here.  Don’t fish it often enough to get a real good feel for it. My understanding  is drift in tight to the deep weed edges if you are looking for walleyes.  You’ll clear a lot of weeds from your rig but that is where you need to be.

Out in front of the clock tower is always a hotspot.  So is Long Point.  Look for weed edges near drop offs.  If you are looking for panfish to pass the time its hard to beat the weedflats in front of Mayville.

• Thanks (+1) 1

13 hours ago, Jävə Keith said:

40 years ago, the most reliable spot for me was the south end of Camp Merz for SMB. Or look for all the other walleye boats piled one on top of the other and work a worm harness as deep as you possibly can. 

• Thanks (+1) 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hooked the trailer up at 0 dark 30 this AM with the intent to get some fishing in since the wind died down to nothing.  Did my walkaround before leaving the driveway and found my trailer license plate missing.  WTF?  Not sure when that might've happened.  I do a walkaround every time before I drive off.

So, instead of a morning on the water I will be spending the morning in the DMV.  It went from awesome to suck in a hurry.

• 1 month later...

Got back today from 4 days at the Nopiming Provincial Park with the gf and kids.

The pic is 3 of the 11 ruffies I was lucky enough to harvest. I hunted every evening for about 2 hours. I also got a sharptail grouse.

I'll be going back in 2 weeks with a hunting buddy for a day hunt.

20201019_185320.jpg

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.