darksabre

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Went back up there for ruffies for 5 days.

Checked in at 3 Monday and went out for an evening hunt and got 5. The next 2 days, we hunted and got 26. The 2 days after that, we only hunted for 2 hours each day as we ran into some trouble with the Jeep. We got 2 on the Thursday (drank til 4am) and 8 on the Friday. 34 ruffies and 7 spruce.

First time my buddy got his ruffie limit.

We ate 10 of them while we were up there. Probably going back for a day trip next Saturday.

Rained about 2/3 of the time.

I love hunting when I have bronchitis...

IMG_20231011_181941.jpg

Edited by Ducky
  • Like (+1) 3

Went for walleyes on the Red River in town yesterday afternoon.

My brother caught a 18 inch walleye and about 12 saugers too small to keep.

Our buddy caught a 25.75 inch walleye and a nice keeper sauger.

I caught a goldeye that was close to 12 inches (master angler) but I didn't bother measuring it.

Our buddy and I probably caught over 50 saugers that were too small to keep.

The big walleye was released to grow bigger.

Going to try again to morrow morning.

10 hours ago, Ducky said:

Went for walleyes on the Red River in town yesterday afternoon.

My brother caught a 18 inch walleye and about 12 saugers too small to keep.

Our buddy caught a 25.75 inch walleye and a nice keeper sauger.

I caught a goldeye that was close to 12 inches (master angler) but I didn't bother measuring it.

Our buddy and I probably caught over 50 saugers that were too small to keep.

The big walleye was released to grow bigger.

Going to try again to morrow morning.

I had never heard of a sauger until this post. Pretty cool.

• Like (+1) 1

13 hours ago, SwampD said:

I had never heard of a sauger until this post. Pretty cool.

Can't tell if you are eating sauger or walleye.

We supposedly have saugeye as well....a cross between the two.

I caught another 12 or so smaller ones again today and one keeper. 

Also, a 21.5 and a 18.25 inch walleye.

Buddy caught about 10 small saugers.

Two master angler bullheads too but they are a nuisance fish if you ask me.

• 1 month later...

I picked up a Savage 93 FVSS XP .22 Magnum today. It comes with a 3x9 Weaver scope. My first new gun since the 80s.

I also bought the Stoeger M3k 12 gauge semi-auto with the 24 inch barrel. More than a month until I get that one.

Is it ok to post pics of guns?

20231216_161949.jpg

Edited by Ducky

13 hours ago, Ducky said:

I picked up a Savage 93 FVSS XP .22 Magnum today. It comes with a 3x9 Weaver scope. My first new gun since the 80s.

I also bought the Stoeger M3k 12 gauge semi-auto with the 24 inch barrel. More than a month until I get that one.

Why a 22 mag? Just curious.

The Stoeger is the best value per dollar on the market at this point. Good choice!

56 minutes ago, RochesterExpat said:

Why a 22 mag? Just curious.

The Stoeger is the best value per dollar on the market at this point. Good choice!

Way more accurate than the .22 LR.

I bought the 30 grain Hornady VMax bullets...2200 fps at the muzzle.

A ruffie at 75 yards shouldn't be a problem.

I know a couple guys with the Stoeger M3000 but I wanted the one with the 24 inch barrel. Great gun for the money.

• Like (+1) 1

14 hours ago, Ducky said:

20231216_161949.jpg

I went with a model 93 because I am a lefty, and not many lefty rimfire bolt actions out there. I like it.  Alot.

I did change the stock though.  The plastic stock that comes with the gun felt very hollow and flexible.  I bought a stock from Boyds to replace it.  It required a small amount of dremel work in the inletting to get it fit right.  Maybe 15 minutes and a careful hand.  But it looks and feels great.

1 minute ago, Ducky said:

Way more accurate than the .22 LR.

I bought the 30 grain Hornady VMax bullets...2200 fps at the muzzle.

A ruffie at 75 yards shouldn't be a problem.

I know a couple guys with the Stoeger M3000 but I wanted the one with the 24 inch barrel. Great gun for the money.

Those VMax can be pretty destructive.  Wouldn’t that tear up too much meat on a ruffed grouse?

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Weave said:

I went with a model 93 because I am a lefty, and not many lefty rimfire bolt actions out there. I like it.  Alot.

I did change the stock though.  The plastic stock that comes with the gun felt very hollow and flexible.  I bought a stock from Boyds to replace it.  It required a small amount of dremel work in the inletting to get it fit right.  Maybe 15 minutes and a careful hand.  But it looks and feels great.

Those VMax can be pretty destructive.  Wouldn’t that tear up too much meat on a ruffed grouse?

It should be good for head shots up to 75 yd.

7 minutes ago, Weave said:

I don’t think I’ve ever seen ruffed grouse in timber light enough to identify one at 75yds.

We see a LOT right on the trails...especially before the leaves are on the ground. Probably more than half the birds we see. They like to come out about 90 minutes before dark to fill their crops with clover that grow on the edges of the trail.

If I am walking in the bush, I will use the Stoeger. Main reason for the short barrel.

The last 3 years, I have never seen the numbers this high. A crazy amount of ruffies. 

Edited by Ducky

16 hours ago, Ducky said:

20231216_161949.jpg

Nice! I just bought a PSA .556 to give it a go and I think Im going to be picking up a Walther PDP pretty soon. 

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.