Sabrespace Rod and Gun Club

darksabre

I'm not a hunter but maybe this is spot to ask so here it goes:

My family has a spot in the Southern Tier near Cuba, NY and it is extremely remote - 1 mile up a dirt road on the side of a mountain/hill.ย  The wildlife in the area is wonderful, but what really has me worried are the increasing number of bears. We spend a lot of time walking, biking, and 4 wheeling in trails and I was considering to start carrying a pistol on me to at least scare off any apex predators.ย  I grew up in boy scouts and my father is a lifelong hunter and fisherman so I'm very comfortable around guns and familiar with gun safety, but I have no experience with handguns and he doesn't either.ย ย 

I was thinking to start with something smaller like a 9mm to get comfortable with it, and then move to a larger caliber that could actually provide some type of protection against a bear.ย  Does this sound reasonable or should I just get some bear spray and call it a day?ย  I have no desire to carry other than when I am heading to camp and in Niagara Country we don't have many bears to worry about so I haven't had to really consider this situation before.ย ย 

Any advice is appreciated.ย  Thanks in advance.ย ย 

Honestly, you dont have to be concerned with the bears. ย They are hunted in Chau Co. ย They are afraid of you.

If that isnโ€™t reassuring enough, go for the bear spray. ย There is alot of debate about the effectiveness of handguns on bears in an attack situation. ย Much less debate about bear spray.ย 
ย 

If you do feel compelled to carry, learn with a .22. ย Even a 9mm teaches flinch. ย Keep in mind that a .44 mag or 10mm has alot of recoil in a handgun and the effects of either on bears is hotly debated.

• Thanks (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, SwampD said:

Sometimes, when there just arenโ€™t any fish, you just have to roll with it and let the tide take you where it may.

9027F77A-DE79-4FA0-9D17-DE601197400E.png

I just relegated my kayak to the garage for the season.ย  Was a sad determination.ย  We've got some cold temps settling in.ย  Water temps have to be in the 50s now.ย  Air temps in the AM in the 40s or less.ย  Dry suit weather and I don't have a dry suit.

May can't come soon enough.

6 minutes ago, Weave said:

I just relegated my kayak to the garage for the season.ย  Was a sad determination.ย  We've got some cold temps settling in.ย  Water temps have to be in the 50s now.ย  Air temps in the AM in the 40s or less.ย  Dry suit weather and I don't have a dry suit.

May can't come soon enough.

Iโ€™m not that smart. Stripers are a cold water fishery. 45 and down. Going to get a wetsuit top. Itโ€™ll at least give me an extra 2 minutes.

6 minutes ago, SwampD said:

Iโ€™m not that smart. Stripers are a cold water fishery. 45 and down. Going to get a wetsuit top. Itโ€™ll at least give me an extra 2 minutes.

I've toyed with buying a dry suit but, damn they are spendy.

Would give me an extra month in Fall and Spring to fish though.

9 minutes ago, Weave said:

I've toyed with buying a dry suit but, damn they are spendy.

Would give me an extra month in Fall and Spring to fish though.

Even a cheaper wetsuit can keep you in the game longer. Thatโ€™s my plan, anyway.

October 22, shorts and a t-shirt.ย 

13 hours ago, SHAAAUGHT!!! said:

I'm not a hunter but maybe this is spot to ask so here it goes:

My family has a spot in the Southern Tier near Cuba, NY and it is extremely remote - 1 mile up a dirt road on the side of a mountain/hill.ย  The wildlife in the area is wonderful, but what really has me worried are the increasing number of bears. We spend a lot of time walking, biking, and 4 wheeling in trails and I was considering to start carrying a pistol on me to at least scare off any apex predators.ย  I grew up in boy scouts and my father is a lifelong hunter and fisherman so I'm very comfortable around guns and familiar with gun safety, but I have no experience with handguns and he doesn't either.ย ย 

I was thinking to start with something smaller like a 9mm to get comfortable with it, and then move to a larger caliber that could actually provide some type of protection against a bear.ย  Does this sound reasonable or should I just get some bear spray and call it a day?ย  I have no desire to carry other than when I am heading to camp and in Niagara Country we don't have many bears to worry about so I haven't had to really consider this situation before.ย ย 

Any advice is appreciated.ย  Thanks in advance.ย ย 

ย 

11 hours ago, Weave said:

Honestly, you dont have to be concerned with the bears. ย They are hunted in Chau Co. ย They are afraid of you.

If that isnโ€™t reassuring enough, go for the bear spray. ย There is alot of debate about the effectiveness of handguns on bears in an attack situation. ย Much less debate about bear spray.ย 
ย 

If you do feel compelled to carry, learn with a .22. ย Even a 9mm teaches flinch. ย Keep in mind that a .44 mag or 10mm has alot of recoil in a handgun and the effects of either on bears is hotly debated.

Weave is spot on with his advice. Those bears are more scared of you than you are of them.ย 

I live in AK and we deal with them every year. Bear spray is the backup plan. Make noise and let the bears know you are there. A surprised bear is a problem. A bear that knows you are there will be gone before you ever see it. Regarding firearms, using a 9mm pistol will only make you the target of a pissed off, wounded, surprised bear and that is not what you want. If you feel that you need a firearm, a shotgun loaded with slugs Is the better option. Not easy to carry but it will be the best option if you have a real bear problem.

#1- Make noise and let the bears know you are there. Make sure you are not leaving food out and attracting the bears into camp.ย 

#2- bear spray

#3- shotgun

#4- pistol, especially if you are not extremely comfortable with them.

Edited by irregularly irregular
  • Thanks (+1) 1

On 10/22/2021 at 12:38 PM, Weave said:

ย 

ย 

On 10/23/2021 at 12:00 AM, irregularly irregular said:

ย 

Weave is spot on with his advice. Those bears are more scared of you than you are of them.ย 

I live in AK and we deal with them every year. Bear spray is the backup plan. Make noise and let the bears know you are there. A surprised bear is a problem. A bear that knows you are there will be gone before you ever see it. Regarding firearms, using a 9mm pistol will only make you the target of a pissed off, wounded, surprised bear and that is not what you want. If you feel that you need a firearm, a shotgun loaded with slugs Is the better option. Not easy to carry but it will be the best option if you have a real bear problem.

#1- Make noise and let the bears know you are there. Make sure you are not leaving food out and attracting the bears into camp.ย 

#2- bear spray

#3- shotgun

#4- pistol, especially if you are not extremely comfortable with them.

Thanks guys.ย  Appreciate the advice as I don't have a ton of real life experience dealing with bears.ย  Had some major bear dumps around 30 yards from the cabin and knew I needed to figure it out quick lol.ย  Bear spray and a horn is on order.

• 1 month later...
On 10/25/2021 at 11:05 AM, SHAAAUGHT!!! said:

ย 

Thanks guys.ย  Appreciate the advice as I don't have a ton of real life experience dealing with bears.ย  Had some major bear dumps around 30 yards from the cabin and knew I needed to figure it out quick lol.ย  Bear spray and a horn is on order.

Air horn and a Model 37 Ithica with the rifled barrel and slugs. I've shot every bear I have ever shot, except my first, with a slug and have never had to track one.

• 5 months later...
On 4/28/2022 at 8:51 AM, Weave said:

Be very careful and donโ€™t go alone. ย Water temps are still in the 30s. ย Very dangerous if you end up going for a swim unintentionally.

On 4/28/2022 at 10:08 AM, SwampD said:

The Niagara trip is in my friend's boat. Not sure I would do the kayaks even in summertime down there (I probably would.)

While it was awesome. I figure this belongs here. Forgot to post pics. Just a few of the dozens caught. Cool sundog as well.

BD5B482C-D1AB-4990-9520-6CE7FFB99A03.jpeg

0C7A6CC0-F9C5-4C6E-BA18-345883370F2B.jpeg

0AF254CC-9FBC-4667-8A63-8B10C3E0FDE7.jpeg

• Like (+1) 4
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

• 3 weeks later...

A buddy that I grew up with duck hunting is visiting from BC and we went out the other day for some walleye.

We had a great day on the water and he said he forgot how green our greenbacks are and what nice looking fish they are.

They are an irridescent green and look beautiful when they first come out of the water.

The picture is him with his limit for that day.

FB_IMG_1656116698452.jpg

Edited by Ducky

Mrs. Bullwinkle was in a water hole beside the road cooling off and getting away from the insects on the way home. We took pictures and filmed her for about 5 minutes before a vehicle scared her and she went swimming away.

Resized_20220613_170431_5051.jpeg

Edited by Ducky
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

• 1 month later...

Had the pleasure of fishing with @SwampDthis morning. ย We met up at Canadice Lake bright and early with the kayaks and fishing gear in tow.

Fishing was slow. ย We caught a couple, but what a great morning. We launched at 6:30 into a light fog covered lake. ย The winds stayed damn near dead calm all morning. ย There were wisps of fog lingering until almost 10am. ย The lake was a mirror for 5 hours. And the clearest fresh water I have ever seen.

It was my first time on Candice. ย We were exploring as much as we were fishing. ย 

Great time. ย Great scenery. ย Great company. ย Weโ€™ll lay into the fish next time.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.