Sabrespace Rod and Gun Club

darksabre

3 hours ago, Weave said:

I’m a lefty.  And I’m a former DEC hunter safety instructor.  I preached, and live by, use of a safety.  This is where comfort and preference really come into play.  A safety is an afterthought (if present at all) in most of the striker fired pistols out there.  Safeties seem to be somewhat controversial on defensive pistols.  But I don’t have a comfort level not using a safety.  Being left handed really limits my options as I simply cannot work a safety with my left hand on most striker fired handguns.  So I gravitate towards hammer fired guns, especially if they are ambidextrous.

Comfort is king here. 

Condition Zero here. Although I no longer carry, when I did, it was a striker fire Glock 19 with a round chambered. A 1911 would be condition 1. 

• Like (+1) 1

• 4 weeks later...
1 hour ago, SwampD said:

Thinking about getting a fishing kayak. Does anyone have an idea about what price point I don’t want to look below because it just won’t be worth it?

Send me a PM.  I’ve owned 2 now.  I have developed some strong feelings about this.  I can’t respond while at work but I’ll write you a novella once home.

• Like (+1) 2

I guess a bad day fishing is still better than a good day at work.

Woke up well before dawn with high hopes.  Today was going to be a meat fishing day.  I had my eyes on cleaning a pile of crappies when I got home. 

Got to the lake at 5:45am.  The only bait store on the lake was closed.  It appears permanently.  Well, that makes things a bit more difficult.  Looks like it'll be artificials only today.

Yak in the water shortly after 6.  Depthfinder on.  Took me maybe 10 minutes to mark a school of fish.  Fish on first cast.  First fish on the stringer.  Picked through some small fish to find a few keepers.  Moved to a second spot.  Went to put another fish on the stringer and.... where is the stringer?  Son of a......  Apparently I didn't have my stringer firmly secured to the boat, and there is now a stringer of fish somewhere in that lake. No cooler on the boat.  No stringer.  Not keeping fish anymore I guess.  My meat fishing day turned into a catch and release day.

Caught my share, but I was really looking forward to a fish fry.

I have a mental image of a small school of fish swimming around dragging 6' length of rope with a ring on the end of it.  I feel bad because there is no way those fish will escape that stringer.

Was entertained by Chet and Muffy endeavouring to launch their too big for the launch boat.  It started poorly and was still going poorly when I left.  They pulled right up to the ramp without prepping their boat first (faux pas #1).  He started backing down the ramp without looking and damn near backed his boat into a boat that was already there waiting to come out of the water (faux pas #2).  His mooring lines were all hanging over the side of the boat and when he realized his mistake he pulled forward and tangled one of his mooring lines in the trailer wheels.  Other boat came out and he backed in.  Boat in the water, but still on the trailer he proceeded to make his boat ready (faux pas #3), all while other boats were waiting to launch and load.  I didn't stick around to see which other boat was going to be the first to lose their patience, but it was inevitable.  I'm sure by the time it was over he was well informed about boat launch etiquette.

And to top it off, I forgot to put my bag of plastic baits in my vehicle before I went down the road.  If someone sees a bag of assorted Gulp minnows on the side of the road HMU.

I guess it was amateur day at the lake all the way around.  🤣

1 hour ago, Weave said:

I guess a bad day fishing is still better than a good day at work.

Woke up well before dawn with high hopes.  Today was going to be a meat fishing day.  I had my eyes on cleaning a pile of crappies when I got home. 

Got to the lake at 5:45am.  The only bait store on the lake was closed.  It appears permanently.  Well, that makes things a bit more difficult.  Looks like it'll be artificials only today.

Yak in the water shortly after 6.  Depthfinder on.  Took me maybe 10 minutes to mark a school of fish.  Fish on first cast.  First fish on the stringer.  Picked through some small fish to find a few keepers.  Moved to a second spot.  Went to put another fish on the stringer and.... where is the stringer?  Son of a......  Apparently I didn't have my stringer firmly secured to the boat, and there is now a stringer of fish somewhere in that lake. No cooler on the boat.  No stringer.  Not keeping fish anymore I guess.  My meat fishing day turned into a catch and release day.

Caught my share, but I was really looking forward to a fish fry.

I have a mental image of a small school of fish swimming around dragging 6' length of rope with a ring on the end of it.  I feel bad because there is no way those fish will escape that stringer.

Was entertained by Chet and Muffy endeavouring to launch their too big for the launch boat.  It started poorly and was still going poorly when I left.  They pulled right up to the ramp without prepping their boat first (faux pas #1).  He started backing down the ramp without looking and damn near backed his boat into a boat that was already there waiting to come out of the water (faux pas #2).  His mooring lines were all hanging over the side of the boat and when he realized his mistake he pulled forward and tangled one of his mooring lines in the trailer wheels.  Other boat came out and he backed in.  Boat in the water, but still on the trailer he proceeded to make his boat ready (faux pas #3), all while other boats were waiting to launch and load.  I didn't stick around to see which other boat was going to be the first to lose their patience, but it was inevitable.  I'm sure by the time it was over he was well informed about boat launch etiquette.

And to top it off, I forgot to put my bag of plastic baits in my vehicle before I went down the road.  If someone sees a bag of assorted Gulp minnows on the side of the road HMU.

I guess it was amateur day at the lake all the way around.  🤣

This makes me very happy to hear. That glut of recreational gear is coming. Can't wait to pounce on it.

• Haha (+1) 1

41 minutes ago, SwampD said:

This makes me very happy to hear. That glut of recreational gear is coming. Can't wait to pounce on it.

I’ll give you the rough location of a stringer and Gulp baits if you are impatient for that glut of gear to start showing up.

• Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Indabuff said:

No shoelace?  Let me know where those keeper crappie...er...stringer was and I'll give it a shot.

Ever see a boat tip off a trailer?  

Tops sells fish.  I/O lower units not so much.  That's my glass half full attempt.

No shoes.

And, I know, right?  Keeper crappies in a lake that gets alot of pressure are precious indeed.

1 hour ago, Indabuff said:

No shoelace?  Let me know where those keeper crappie...er...stringer was and I'll give it a shot.

Ever see a boat tip off a trailer?  

Tops sells fish.  I/O lower units not so much.  That's my glass half full attempt.

I haven't seen a boat tip off a trailer, but I did see a guy with an overloaded tow vehicle drop his trailer off the end of the ramp loading a pontoon boat earleir this year.  LOLs aplenty there.  Guy was towing a monstrous pontoon boat with a little Jeep Cherokee.  No way that Cherokee (not a Grand, just a Cherokee) was rated to tow that much weight.  Lake Ontario was low and he backed in too far to get the boat to load onto the trailer. He dropped the trailer wheels off the end of the ramp and couldn't get the trailer over the hump.  Fortunatley for him the town was at the ramp that day with an crane and they saved his bacon.  I followed him out of the boat ramp and down the road.  That vehicle was way overmatched by the load it was towing.  He was a catastrophe waiting to happen.

1 hour ago, Weave said:

Fortunatley for him the town was at the ramp that day with an crane and they saved his bacon. 

I have a feeling those types of employees doing work around those types of areas are unsung heroes more often than most people realize.

• Like (+1) 1

• 4 weeks later...

A picture of my retriever with some of the birds we shot on Wednesday. We shot two Wood Ducks, a bluebill, and rounded out our limit with blue wing teal and green wing teal. It was nice to get out, I didn't hunt at all last year and that is the first time that has happened since 1972.

received_356919836111698.jpeg

Edited by Ducky

On 7/29/2021 at 9:02 AM, Weave said:

Send me a PM.  I’ve owned 2 now.  I have developed some strong feelings about this.  I can’t respond while at work but I’ll write you a novella once home.

I would be very interested in that novella, too. I've been covering the thought of having a fishing kayak for a few years, but have never been able to pull the trigger. Cost + my concerns about potential aggravating my lower back pain. Also so many friggin options it becomes dizzying trying to discern usefulness, necessity, or just plain marketing feature.

Please do share your wisdom from experience on what features to look for and best value buy.

6 hours ago, Weave said:

Which one did you get, Swamp?

Lifetime Teton pro 116

https://www.dickssportinggoods.com/p/lifetime-teton-pro-116-fishing-kayak-19lifattnprnglrxxpsk/19lifattnprnglrxxpsk

You mentioning the extra weight capacity, and better stability convinced me that it really wasn’t that much more money  than the Teton 100 for what you get. Can’t wait to get on the water.

6 hours ago, SwampD said:

Lifetime Teton pro 116

https://www.dickssportinggoods.com/p/lifetime-teton-pro-116-fishing-kayak-19lifattnprnglrxxpsk/19lifattnprnglrxxpsk

You mentioning the extra weight capacity, and better stability convinced me that it really wasn’t that much more money  than the Teton 100 for what you get. Can’t wait to get on the water.

Nice!

The extra length will make it easier to paddle too.  You won't regret that.

Bring that ***** up here when you visit and we'll get out.

7 hours ago, Jävə Keith said:

I would be very interested in that novella, too. I've been covering the thought of having a fishing kayak for a few years, but have never been able to pull the trigger. Cost + my concerns about potential aggravating my lower back pain. Also so many friggin options it becomes dizzying trying to discern usefulness, necessity, or just plain marketing feature.

Please do share your wisdom from experience on what features to look for and best value buy.

PM inbound.  Be forewarned, you'll be spending money when I am done with you.  🤣

Edited by Weave
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

• 4 weeks later...

Very strange backdrop for fishing. No fish (we knew there wouldn’t be any), but just scoping out some spots for when the water temp drops and the stripers return.

Awesome day on the water.

15979FD5-DB2B-4DEF-B41A-3E3583B96D74.jpeg

Edited by SwampD
  • Like (+1) 3

12 minutes ago, Weave said:

Oh that looks like a cool spot!

Dude. It's crazy. You almost need headsets, though, if you are with someone. It's always windy, and you are never too far from a three(5?) lane highway or train track, to say nothing of being in the flight path of Newark airport.😂

On another note, there is a certain enjoyment I get when doing the dance at local tackle shops while trying to mine information. I realized today that being on kayaks has a certain weight to it (I kinda figured, that's why I mentioned it😄.) It was funny how much more he was willing to tell us once I mentioned that.

52 minutes ago, SwampD said:

Dude. It's crazy. You almost need headsets, though, if you are with someone. It's always windy, and you are never too far from a three(5?) lane highway or train track, to say nothing of being in the flight path of Newark airport.😂

On another note, there is a certain enjoyment I get when doing the dance at local tackle shops while trying to mine information. I realized today that being on kayaks has a certain weight to it (I kinda figured, that's why I mentioned it😄.) It was funny how much more he was willing to tell us once I mentioned that.

Yeah there seems to be a brotherhood in the kayaking community.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.