Ted Black and Sabres "mutually part ways"

Weave

I don't have an MBA, so I'm more than likely speaking beyond my ability to understand or express, but my understanding of a flat structure is the exact thing defined by Wikipedia:

"A flat organization (also known as horizontal organization or delayering) is an organization that has an organizational structure with few or no levels of middle management between staff and executives. The idea is that well-trained workers will be more productive when they are more directly involved in the decision making process, rather than closely supervised by many layers of management."

When I say top-down, apparently I should be saying hierarchal, which, as I have said earlier, simply must be the structure at Pegula Sports Entertainment.  Maybe my lack of a proper business education is at play here, but I don't see how PSE can function using a truly flat model.  Perhaps what you are saying is "flat" is actually a hybrid-flat, where the executive tier is wider than usual.

But, really, just posting some thoughts maybe showing my complete ignorance on the subject.  And I'm okay with that.  I hope y'all are, too.

No need to apologize - I don't have an MBA either. School of hard knocks, y'all! The definition quoted above seems fine, albeit not a precise fit for this situation. 

There was a press conference or interview that Pegula gave where he spoke at some length about his affection for flat structures -- this was probably back in 2011 or 2012. He wants the cross-pollination -- he wants people to feel free to express their views and ideas without fear that they're stepping outside of the reporting structure.

In any case, I think we're mostly talking past each other to the extent we seem to disagree.

But, to my point at hand: There's something about a highly-salaried person sporting a backpack that kills me. I'm not proud of the reaction I have to it -- but I can't deny it either.

301293-McCoy-Sports-Bills4-1024x754.jpg

There was a press conference or interview that Pegula gave where he spoke at some length about his affection for flat structures -- this was probably back in 2011 or 2012. He wants the cross-pollination -- he wants people to feel free to express their views and ideas without fear that they're stepping outside of the reporting structure.

Right, but I distinctly recall him discussing this and mentioning something to the effect of wanting competent people to lead at the top, or some such.  The reason I have this in my head is because the idea you state above, which I absolutely do not deny he said, seemed (and seems) too flowery and unrealistic.  So when he mentioned the competency thing it put it into perspective that he was strictly referring to the executive level.  Which, in my mind, based on my own understanding (gotten the same way as you, apparently) is not really a flat structure.  I've worked under truly flat structures and hierarchal models, and PSE is definitely not a flat structure not matter how large the executive tier is, in my estimation, at least.

Terrible decisions on his watch, off the top of my head:

Toronto series  Ralph saying we need more money.

Gregg Williams Ralph saying I wont spend money

Mike Mularkey Ralph saying I'm not spending money

Dick Jauron (including his contract extension) Ralph saying you know he's a good guy and he comes cheap.

Chan Gailey Ralph saying I'm done spending money.

Buddy Nix Ralph likes his old boy network.

Mike Williams Doug Marone

Aaron Maybin You got em there

Derrick Dockery Marv

Robert Royal Marv

Jason Peters Agent

EJ Manuel Buddy panicked

Trade for Watkins Whaley

Failure to bring in a decent QB Everyone all along

I say again:  yuck.

I may be off on a couple of those but you get my point.

Please don't fault Brandon for getting jobs from Ralph he wasn't qualified for. The jobs he has done that he is qualified for he does exceedingly well. I just don't see how he will have the time to oversee both teams and league meetings etc etc etc.

It will be interesting to  see this.

Here's what's interesting to me:  On the non-hockey side of things, what exactly were the Sabres doing poorly?

--There are the new security procedures, but I know that's happening league-wide.

Does one of the new procedures involve waving people through who set off the metal detector? Because I set if off at the scrimmage and the worker took my word that it was my keys.

I'd add the ticket increase letter going out on fan appeciation day. There have been quite a few PR bumbles and stumbles under Black.

Does one of the new procedures involve waving people through who set off the metal detector? Because I set if off at the scrimmage and the worker took my word that it was my keys.

Perhaps the tapioca pudding you were eating at the time was sufficiently disarming?

Right, but I distinctly recall him discussing this and mentioning something to the effect of wanting competent people to lead at the top, or some such.  The reason I have this in my head is because the idea you state above, which I absolutely do not deny he said, seemed (and seems) too flowery and unrealistic.  So when he mentioned the competency thing it put it into perspective that he was strictly referring to the executive level.  Which, in my mind, based on my own understanding (gotten the same way as you, apparently) is not really a flat structure.  I've worked under truly flat structures and hierarchal models, and PSE is definitely not a flat structure not matter how large the executive tier is, in my estimation, at least.

Fair, fair. 

An organization the size of the Sabres (or Bills) cannot be truly horizontal. But when you have a front office structure where people at various levels have multiple direct reports -- some of which are even made on a horizontal basis -- then you are working with elements of a horizontal organizational structure. Not purely horizontal, as you rightly observe.  

Beauty, hoser.

Take off, eh?

I'd add the ticket increase letter going out on fan appeciation day. There have been quite a few PR bumbles and stumbles under Black.

I don't think that's going to work during the regular season.

SDS, the tapioca remark was beautiful.

He has ZERO say in players on either team so I'm totally fine with it. Now bring back the royal fckn blue you clowns and really bring the OneBuffalo to life...

I wonder if Brandon will see this as a priority. Lord knows we've been complaining about it for years already, they have to know we want the old sweaters back, right?

As an aside, this has to come with a pay raise for Brandon, no? Out of curiosity, does anyone know/can ball-park what his salary is? Could it be into the 7 digits?

As an aside, this has to come with a pay raise for Brandon, no? Out of curiosity, does anyone know/can ball-park what his salary is? Could it be into the 7 digits?

It must involve a raise. 

I have no idea what he makes. I speculated upthread that he must pull 7-figures. Nah?

Day-um. Take 1 day off to hang w/ family & the world goes all higgledy-piggledy.

Brandon impresses me as a marketer. Having to oversee both teams should keep him focused on that and away from hockey/football department decisions. Which is win/win for both teams.

Has anyone seen Craig Patrick?

Day-um. Take 1 day off to hang w/ family & the world goes all higgledy-piggledy.

Brandon impresses me as a marketer. Having to oversee both teams should keep him focused on that and away from hockey/football department decisions. Which is win/win for both teams.

Has anyone seen Craig Patrick?

Last I saw him, he was smiling kindly and shaking hands with quiet nods of his head at one of those "how're we doing" sessions that Black would convene from time to time with STHs.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.