Rochester Americans 2015-16

Hoss

I thought the reporter who got the FU said absolutely zero that was out of line.

I wouldn't quite call it yelling, but there was a very hostile tone with that "did you work hard" question.  When you bring that to a clearly agitated person, you're playing with fire.

And a bitch-fest in response to posts from X?  I have now seen it all. :doh:

I wouldn't quite call it yelling, but there was a very hostile tone with that "did you work hard" question. When you bring that to a clearly agitated person, you're playing with fire.

And a bitch-fest in response to posts from X? I have now seen it all. :doh:

But that aggressive tone on the question didn't come out until the coach yelled at him "what's your question?"

Agreed on the bit##-fest.

I said this:

"The frustration must be mounting........" What kind of question is that? Granted he was out of line towards the end, but if I were him I'd still have to say something at some point when these guys can't even come up with some stimulating lead-ins.

Coaches get too much criticism for what they say. They're not the journalists, they're not the English majors. And I'm sure most don't have background in media relations. It's the reporter's job to put them in a position to come up with answers in a professional manner, it's not their job to try and get them to say something out of line so that they have fodder for the nightly news/social media.

That last part wasn't related to the video, it was a general statement based on the progression (regression?) of modern day journalism.

Then this:

Who said he acted properly?

He was out of line with the FU.

If I were the coach I would teach my high school kids how to handle reporters that can't do their job properly, if they had any intentions on moving on with hockey as a career.

Then this:

You came to the conclusion that I would teach them to act without civility; without knowing how I would teach them. I've said several times now that he was out of line, but go ahead with and claim I would teach my players to be just like him. 

I gave him credit for speaking out to a couple of reporters that couldn't do their jobs because they are poor journalists. 

What exactly is 'my game'? Getting upset by the constant pile-ons because some don' t like my point of view? This gang isn't as open-minded and impartial as it likes to believe 

And finally this:

It is possible to say he was out of line with the FU comment while still giving him credit for addressing a couple of reporters that can't do their jobs. I've been crystal clear with that three or four times now. If it's unclear,  ask for clarification. It really is that simple. 

And you still come back with this:

I don't think your previous post was too hard to figure out. Lousy journalist had a phuck you coming from Fixter and you condoned it. Pretty simple.

Is civility only important towards people practicing professions you have respect for?

Perhaps X can tell us which of his doesn't have a grasp of the English language.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

What? Not the victim now? I'm still pissed at the "snarky" comment if you wondered what set me off. Either you are stupid or you love this game you play. 

Ironically, it is you accusing reporters of their lack of eloquence. Everything you write needs an "I" statement to clarify your initial lack of clarity. Good writing doesn't lend itself to implications. 

And you call it intolerance. 

Nope. It is you. 

So nice try.

Here's a challenge, go a week without typing "I"......"I" dare you. 

Every thread becomes about you. 

Have you ever once considered it isn't everyone else, but you? 

(I) tell you what, don't give me a reason to have to defend myself by misstating what I've repeatedly corrected and I won't have a reason to make it about me.

This is a public forum mostly based on personal opinion. Every thread has an "I". You had one this thread, as did I. If you don't like my opinion either skip over it or address it. Don't distort what I specifically stated in order to either belittle me or find an excuse to argue. You and K-9 are the ones making it about me. Take away your posts where you both misstate me and this is just another thread with everybody adding their opinion.

Here's a challenge..... go a week without distorting my posts and we'll see how much I make it about me.

It's awfully coincidental that these arguments only seem to pop up whenever I don't cater to the majority.

Edited by JJFIVEOH

JJ, in fairness, if you bold the entire sentence of that 1st post the context changes considerably.  The "but" indicates support of admitted out of line behavior.  There is damned near universal confusion over your posts.  Your choice of wording is your downfall, not everyone else's reading comprehension.

"The frustration must be mounting........" What kind of question is that? Granted he was out of line towards the end, but if I were him I'd still have to say something at some point when these guys can't even come up with some stimulating lead-ins.

Coaches get too much criticism for what they say. They're not the journalists, they're not the English majors. And I'm sure most don't have background in media relations. It's the reporter's job to put them in a position to come up with answers in a professional manner, it's not their job to try and get them to say something out of line so that they have fodder for the nightly news/social media.

That last part wasn't related to the video, it was a general statement based on the progression (regression?) of modern day journalism.

At best your written word reads inconsistent.  It's not surprising that people are dismissing your follow ups.  It appears to be backing away, not clarification.

Edited by We've

JJ, in fairness, if you bold the entire sentence of that 1st post the context changes considerably.  The "but" indicates support of admitted out of line behavior.  There is damned near universal confusion over your posts.  Your choice of wording is your downfall, not everyone else's reading comprehension.

There was a 'but' because I addressed to separate parts of that interview. The part where he said FU and the part where he got upset because both reporters couldn't come up with any questions. As I mentioned to TrueBlue, I gave him credit for getting on their case for not being prepared for an interview but he was out of line with the FU.

What about the next three times I clarified the point?

There was a 'but' because I addressed to separate parts of that interview. The part where he said FU and the part where he got upset because both reporters couldn't come up with any questions. As I mentioned to TrueBlue, I gave him credit for getting on their case for not being prepared for an interview but he was out of line with the FU.

Again, it shows you are wording your views poorly.  It's damned near everyone that is reading differently than you are writing.  At some point you have to concede that maybe you need to be more clear.

Again, it shows you are wording your views poorly.  It's damned near everyone that is reading differently than you are writing.  At some point you have to concede that maybe you need to be more clear.

Odd that it only happens in threads in which I don't agree with the majority.

Let's just drop it. I'm not getting into another 4 page argument about semantics after I specifically clarified my point several times over. I'll just make it easier on all of us and agree with the majority in every thread from now on; we can all hold hands, sing Kumbaya and ride our unicorns. :angel:

Let's just drop it. I'm not getting into another 4 page argument about semantics after I specifically clarified my point several times over. I'll just make it easier on all of us and agree with the majority in every thread from now on; we can all hold hands, sing Kumbaya and ride our unicorns. :angel:

Not to beat a dead horse, but here is a perfect example.  Look at the bolded.  Are you not indicating here that you disagree that the coach is to blame?  

Confusing, to say the least.

And see how that "but" works?  Not to beat a dead horse, but I just beat a dead horse.   :P

Edited by We've

This should be enough. If not, I don't know what to say.

It is possible to say he was out of line with the FU comment while still giving him credit for addressing a couple of reporters that can't do their jobs. I've been crystal clear with that three or four times now. If it's unclear,  ask for clarification. It really is that simple. 

ahem, Martyr-boy, 

This is not about the majority, or being the only original or  contrary opinion.

This is about you being a snit. 

It's about your inability  to command your native language, or thereby communicate in a manner in which you repeatably imply, but never stand by your implications. 

It is a parade of daftness, and denials starting with I. 

You implied I was being intolerant, did you not? 

I guess you didn't mean to imply any emasculating comments for the entire board? Kuyba ya, holding hands?

But you just did. 

It's you. 

Edited by X. Benedict

Right.  4 posts in you finally get that it was confusing.  Glad you are admitting to it.

If it makes you sleep better at night.

ahem, Martyr-boy, 

This is not about the majority, or being the only original or  contrary opinion.

This is about you being a snit. 

It's about your inability  to command your native language, or thereby communicate in a manner in which you repeatably imply, but never stand by your implications. 

It is a parade of daftness, and denials starting with I. 

You implied I was being intolerant, did you not? 

I guess you didn't mean to imply any emasculating comments for the entire board? Kuyba ya, holding hands?

But you just did. 

It's you. 

Well then, there's only one solution....................

Perhaps X can tell us which of his doesn't have a grasp of the English language.

Your exact quote from your original post:

Good for Fixter. Journalism is dead, today's reporters are pathetic. I would be pissed too if I'm surrounded by reporters that not only can't come up with a decent question but can't even come up with a question period! If you want coach to say something, ask him a question! I se an awful lot of 'Tell me about............' or 'You guys played well' or 'The team looked tired today'. A reporter isn't there to analyze the situation in front of the coach, he's there to ask questions. Lazy reporting deserves that kind of response.

If that's not condoning Fixter's outburst, I don't know what does. You downright advocated it by saying,Lazy reporting deserves that kind of response." 

So what are your subsequent posts if not a lesson in trying to walk back a comment? 

Reporters or prodding douchebags. The only mistake that coach made was giving them exactly what they wanted.

Are you kidding? Covering the OHL is somewhere between covering a large high school or small college basketball game most of the year with the average player being about 17. 

The guy couldn't get through a boring post-game question. 

Are you kidding? Covering the OHL is somewhere between covering a large high school or small college basketball game most of the year with the average player being about 17. 

The guy couldn't get through a boring post-game question. 

I know it's a crazy thought, but sometimes (ok, most times) it is very possible that both sides were in the wrong.  Stupid reporters, stupid coach.

I know it's a crazy thought, but sometimes (ok, most times) it is very possible that both sides were in the wrong.  Stupid reporters, stupid coach.

What the coach did was forgivable, but unacceptable. I've done some work with players in juniors, and very few, even in the major juniors will have a pro career. The only professionals are really the coaches and the scouts. Even in the OHL, that coach had 15-17 year old kids on his roster, so there is a starting point for how you behave IMO. Some of those kids will be modelling their coaches behavior for a lifetime.  

The opening question was a soft lead in. The young man throws the coach a soft lead - not a great journalistic technique, but it amounts to a request to comment. The coach knows that. The coach could have said anything he wanted. But he chose to intimidate and come in guns blazing because he didn't hear questions with rising intonations? 

It is bad form. Forgivable, but unacceptable. IMO.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.