The Ryan O'Reilly Contract Extension

LGR4GM

You are over (or perhaps under) thinking it. There is only one explanation: he's worth $7.5m because someone is willing to pay him $7.5m per year. Period.

Any comparisons to other players, their stats, salaries, etc., is just noise that misses the point entirely.

GO SABRES!!!

"Top dollar" is a constantly moving target. Compared to others, he's not making close to top dollar; he's closer to "middling dollar."

As contracts continue to escalate in value, his deal will look more and more middling, too.

GO SABRES!!!

Sabres view him as potentially their Jonathan Toews...about 10-15 points less a year for 4 million a year less...now he just has to win some cups

I don't get all the concerns for the following reasons:

1. As of today the team is about $14 million under the cap.

2. For the first time in at least 8-9 years, they have 7 forwards that are or should soon be legit top 6 forwards (O'Reilly, Eichel, E. Kane, Ennis, Moulson, Reinhart, Girgensens). By the way the ages of these seven are 24, 18, almost 24, 25, 31, 19 and 21. 

3. The defense isn't spectacular but has a nice mix of up and comers and a couple of vets to steady the unit and mentor the young guys.

4. There are more than enough choices for good 3rd and 4th lines (third line - one of the 7 above, Foligno, Gionta, McGinn, then Larsson, McCormick, Legwand, Deslauriers and Ellis for the 4th).

5. They made a move for a goalie, time will tell if it works but goalies can be found.

6. There are still good prospects in the system (Bailey, Fasching, Baptiste, McCabe, Hurley, plus all the picks in last two years not names Reinhart and Eichel). At some point they need to replace Moulson, Gionta and Gorges, and with the exception of maybe Moulson we're talking about 3rd and 4th liners and 5/6 D. 

I don't see the downside to the roster construction and salary commitments. 

I don't get all the concerns for the following reasons:

1. As of today the team is about $14 million under the cap.

2. For the first time in at least 8-9 years, they have 7 forwards that are or should soon be legit top 6 forwards (O'Reilly, Eichel, E. Kane, Ennis, Moulson, Reinhart, Girgensens). By the way the ages of these seven are 24, 18, almost 24, 25, 31, 19 and 21. 

3. The defense isn't spectacular but has a nice mix of up and comers and a couple of vets to steady the unit and mentor the young guys.

4. There are more than enough choices for good 3rd and 4th lines (third line - one of the 7 above, Foligno, Gionta, McGinn, then Larsson, McCormick, Legwand, Deslauriers and Ellis for the 4th).

5. They made a move for a goalie, time will tell if it works but goalies can be found.

6. There are still good prospects in the system (Bailey, Fasching, Baptiste, McCabe, Hurley, plus all the picks in last two years not names Reinhart and Eichel). At some point they need to replace Moulson, Gionta and Gorges, and with the exception of maybe Moulson we're talking about 3rd and 4th liners and 5/6 D. 

I don't see the downside to the roster construction and salary commitments. 

You're new here, welcome 

I wonder, why are you trying to hurt me?

I waited to comment on the extension until I took some time to really think about. I wanted to give time for my initial reaction to subside. My initial reaction was about the player compared to the value of the contract. I'm glad I did. I needed time to get over that learned perception that dollars equal goals and assists. We have been programmed over the years to that way of thinking. Going over it in my mind I landed on the Michael Peca contract situation that led to the infamous Peca trade and possibly cost the Sabres another shot at the Stanley Cup.

Myself and many others crucified the Sabres and Darcy Regier for not giving proper value to Peca's complete game and not valuing all the "intangibles",  remember that word, brought to the rink. Fast forward to 2015 and here we have Ryan O'Reilly, the closest to a Michael Peca type we have had in 15 years. Knowing that, how can I, as a fan, criticize Tim Murray for paying out and giving respect and value to those "intangibles" I had been so angry about 15 years ago. I can't do it. I'm going to rely in my faith of Tim Murray being the man to lead this franchise to the promised land. History will be Murray's harshest critic on this contract. I am going to wait until history chimes in and maybe then i will revisit how I feel about this contract.    

Edited by DeLuca1967

I'm still in amazement that something so overtly discussed actually happened. It never seems to work that way.

The Kane-trade was also discussed alot over the years, the parts involving in the trade might not have been so spot on as in the O'reilly-deal. But still quite amazing how peoples wishes come true. GO SABRES!

I actually thought his cap hit would be closer to 8mil.   I don't really care how much Pegs handed to him in terms of signing bonus versus yearly salary.  Only thing that matters to me is cap hit.

I fully expect ROR to be worth every penny of this contract, especially years 4-7 when newer contracts will make this seem like a bargain.

It feels good to have a player that consistently makes Team Canada for Worlds. He also captained the 2009 WJC champs for host country Canada (even though it's the same tournament Cody Hodgson led in scoring).

We've got a real centerpiece here. $7.5M is a fine price.

I actually thought his cap hit would be closer to 8mil.   I don't really care how much Pegs handed to him in terms of signing bonus versus yearly salary.  Only thing that matters to me is cap hit.

I fully expect ROR to be worth every penny of this contract, especially years 4-7 when newer contracts will make this seem like a bargain.

The other thing to think about too, is that because of the type of game ROR plays it is far more likely he is still playing a useful role on the team at 33.  His gameplay should allow him to play into the future at similar rates to where he is now.  Granted he will start to slow down but he will be effective.  

I waited to comment on the extension until I took some time to really think about. I wanted to give time for my initial reaction to subside. My initial reaction was about the player compared to the value of the contract. I'm glad I did. I needed time to get over that learned perception that dollars equal goals and assists. We have been programmed over the years to that way of thinking. Going over it in my mind I landed on the Michael Peca contract situation that led to the infamous Peca trade and possibly cost the Sabres another shot at the Stanley Cup.

Myself and many others crucified the Sabres and Darcy Regier for not giving proper value to Peca's complete game and not valuing all the "intangibles",  remember that word, brought to the rink. Fast forward to 2015 and here we have Ryan O'Reilly, the closest to a Michael Peca type we have had in 15 years. Knowing that, how can I, as a fan, criticize Tim Murray for paying out and giving respect and value to those "intangibles" I had been so angry about 15 years ago. I can't do it. I'm going to rely in my faith of Tim Murray being the man to lead this franchise to the promised land. History will be Murray's harshest critic on this contract. I am going to wait until history crimes and maybe then i will revisit how I feel about this contract.

Insight.

I've seen a few articles about how this contract circumvented escrow accounts and the NHL isn't happy. Anybody know if this is something the NHL will come after us. I'm thinking about the Kovalchuck contract and how the devils were stripped of draft choices.

I've seen a few articles about how this contract circumvented escrow accounts and the NHL isn't happy. Anybody know if this is something the NHL will come after us. I'm thinking about the Kovalchuck contract and how the devils were stripped of draft choices.

I don't think they can, the reason they took picks from the Devils was because they had made an even more outrageous contract offer which the league rejected.

If the league accepted it, they cannot do anything about it.

Has the NHL approved the contract?

Happy that he is signed long-term, but not sure if this contract is setting such a great precedent.  No trade combined with no real buyout option means he better be as advertised, although if there is a player who seems like low risk given his work ethic and talent, it is O'Reilly.  Does this set contract terms in the future for players like Reinhart and Eichel if they produce?  Having one player with these contract terms is likely not a problem.  Many players with these contract terms probably is.

The signing bonus option is interesting. I assume NHL players get contracts like other leagues, paid out during the course of the season. The signing bonus gives the player it all upfront. That wouldn't affect play at all but it's more money to invest or put in money making accounts, especially when you're talking 10 or 8 million.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.