Mike Richards - Contract Terminated

LGR4GM

That wasn't showing up in your original post until I'd posted my edit but was showing up in my post. Weird.

Must've had something to do w/ how this site gets cached.

I must have posted it while you were responding.  It got merged into my first post because I was making back-to-back posts.

Why?

This story deserves its own thread. Not everyday that a player gets terminated rather than bought out. Keeping this in the other thread, a lot of other info will get drowned out in Richards' BS.

Yes it does. Interesting topics should have their own threads,

I know nothing about what the RMCP may be investigating and little about the player conduct clauses in his contract. But it seems very sketchy to me as to why the Kings should be able to do this when at this point it is only an allegation or investigation (regardless of how much it looks as if there is guilt). This would set a terrible precedent for teams in the future to just terminate contracts whenever a player they didn't really want to pay any more get arrested for almost anything. You can't really quantify how bad an arrest is, or how much it looks like guilt in these scenarios.

I know nothing about what the RMCP may be investigating and little about the player conduct clauses in his contract. But it seems very sketchy to me as to why the Kings should be able to do this when at this point it is only an allegation or investigation (regardless of how much it looks as if there is guilt). This would set a terrible precedent for teams in the future to just terminate contracts whenever a player they didn't really want to pay any more get arrested for almost anything. You can't really quantify how bad an arrest is, or how much it looks like guilt in these scenarios.

Sports teams do this all the time.  So do other employers.  And I'm sure that the Kings have knowledge that is superior to ours.

Sports teams do this all the time.  So do other employers.  And I'm sure that the Kings have knowledge that is superior to ours.

In the NFL they do because contracts are not guaranteed. Or they do when a guy has been arrested. If he was arrested at the border that is a different story and I think they could get away with it. You're right the Kings know more and maybe they have a good case.

Violating league policy can be grounds for termination; there is no "innocent until proven guilty" requirement. It's simply an extreme form of team discipline. It's like not needing a drug conviction to suspend a player for testing positive for a prohibited substance.

Yep, people in a number of professions have to sign some type of code of ethics. If allegations are made you did something immoral or illegal, you can be canned. People are advised to be mindful of what they post on on the internet. 

Yep, people in a number of professions have to sign some type of code of ethics. If allegations are made you did something immoral or illegal, you can be canned. People are advised to be mindful of what they post on on the internet.

Agreed but I think there is a distinction between that and a guaranteed contract. If you just work for a company you have a contract and they can fire you if they want to (outside of the obvious wrongful termination stuff). They can cut you for any reason in the NFL. But the NHL contracts are guaranteed. You cannot just fire people. Granted, I totally understand the code of conduct stuff and league policy stuff and this could easily fall under that so they can terminate his contract.

I was talking more about if it was just an investigation with no real allegations yet. But they wanted to sneak it in before the buyout period ended.

Agreed but I think there is a distinction between that and a guaranteed contract. If you just work for a company you have a contract and they can fire you if they want to (outside of the obvious wrongful termination stuff). They can cut you for any reason in the NFL. But the NHL contracts are guaranteed. You cannot just fire people. Granted, I totally understand the code of conduct stuff and league policy stuff and this could easily fall under that so they can terminate his contract.

I was talking more about if it was just an investigation with no real allegations yet. But they wanted to sneak it in before the buyout period ended.

That is a possibility. But wouldn't that hurt LA's image? FA's may become hesitant to head to LA if they show some type of lack of commitment, support and/or trust. Just a thought. 

That is a possibility. But wouldn't that hurt LA's image? FA's may become hesitant to head to LA if they show some type of lack of commitment, support and/or trust. Just a thought.

Yep. It could. There are a lot of unknowns. I was just bringing up possibilities. They may have hoped that the facts would come out later that Richards did something pretty bad, and then they wouldn't look like the bad guys.

I'm uncomfortable with the contract completely coming off the cap. Too easy.

Yep it is an escape from jail free card for a team that handed out a very bad contract. If this is successful it sets a very bad precedent that other teams may try to emulate.

How?

Do you expect to see TM walk up to (the next) Hodgson and say "Hey, Cody, here's some cash for hookers and blow; I've got a sweet cabin near Sherkston; take 'em over the border & I'll meet you there." Dials RCMPs version of 911. "Hi, this is Cody Hodgson's dad; I believe my son may be heading over the Peace Bridge around 1; could you inspect the car?" :huh:

I'm much less pleased with the Chris Pronger multiseason BF-LTIR salary cap escape route than I am getting out of the contract this way. (Caveat: HUGE asumption that the Richards termination ends up based upon something as nefarious as has been implied. If it's some Mickey Mouse thing, then yeah, it's troublesome.)

Edited by Taro T

How?

Do you expect to see TM walk up to (the next) Hodgson and say "Hey, Cody, here's some cash for hookers and blow; I've got a sweet cabin near Sherkston; take 'em over the border & I'll meet you there." Dials RCMPs version of 911. "Hi, this is Cody Hodgson's dad; I believe my son may be heading over the Peace Bridge around 1; could you inspect the car?" :huh:

I'm much less pleased with the Chris Pronger multiseason BF-LTIR salary cap escape route than I am getting out of the contract this way. (Caveat: HUGE asumption that the Richards termination ends up based upon something as nefarious as has been implied. If it's some Mickey Mouse thing, then yeah, it's troublesome.)

Your last sentance is what I was thinking of when I made my post. If it turns out to be a relatively minor offense, then other teams with big contract albatrosses may pursue this clause at the first sign of trouble.

I'm just hoping if it goes through it is for some serious sh!t.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.