Actual NHL Trades -- Discuss 'em in here.

Samson's Flow

No, she's teasing WildCard. Find your own mancrush!

:lol:

That's a steal for Saad. I'm interested to hear more about how trades like this happen because I have a hard time believing they couldn't get more from a team like Pittsburgh.

I like Dano and all, and Anisimov is a nice 3rd liner, but you don't dump a 22 year old 1st liner. And like Dudacek said, this doesn't even help their cap that much. I'd have fire-saled Sharp for a 7th before being forced into this by am offer sheet threat.

Also: this is why you don't pay an average to above average goalie franchise money and why you don't overpay a depth player (Bickell) based on a hot playoff run.

It is a huge steal for the Jackets, and a mistake the Chicago organization isn't known to make. I'm dumbfounded by this deal. No matter Sharp and Hossa aren't moved to relieve the cap pressure, but then you trade away a budding star for peanuts? Throw on top of that that his RFA demands weren't outrageous at all. Did anyone really think he was gonna demand less than $6.5? 

I'm gonna throw this out there: given the CBJ deal for him, and ours for O'Reilly, how much cheaper could we have gotten Saad for?

:lol:

It is a huge steal for the Jackets, and a mistake the Chicago organization isn't known to make. I'm dumbfounded by this deal. No matter Sharp and Hossa aren't moved to relieve the cap pressure, but then you trade away a budding star for peanuts? Throw on top of that that his RFA demands weren't outrageous at all. Did anyone really think he was gonna demand less than $6.5? 

I'm gonna throw this out there: given the CBJ deal for him, and ours for O'Reilly, how much cheaper could we have gotten Saad for?

Anisimov is a solid NHLer and we didn't give one of them up.

Dano is a very good prospect, better than Grigo, not as good as Nikita, IMO.

Columbus got a better deal, Buffalo got a better player.

They were rushed into a deal knowing an offer sheet was coming that they couldn't make. I still think they could have gotten more but maybe Bowman is confident in the way these new guys fit. I won't question him too much. He knows how to manage a team.

Wow this changes everything:

BREAKING: #Coyotes Acquire Gordon from Edmonton in Exchange for Korpikoski INFO http://t.co/S6zptwKH4jhttp://t.co/5VYvGahFNC

Imagine what we would still have if we would've gone for Gordon instead of O'Reilly?

Edited by Hoss

Anisimov is a solid NHLer and we didn't give one of them up.

Dano is a very good prospect, better than Grigo, not as good as Nikita, IMO.

Columbus got a better deal, Buffalo got a better player.

Anisimov is a solid player, solid as in Dumont. Not that that's a bad thing, but he's not exactly a starting point of a trade. Dano is better than Grigo, more consistent at least, but I agree with you that Zadorov provides more intrigue and a higher ceiling. Throw in that Compher solidly projects to be a 2nd, or at worst 3rd, line player and a 2nd pick and I think either we could have gotten Saad for much less, or Chicago got Boston-esk hosed. 

They were rushed into a deal knowing an offer sheet was coming that they couldn't make. I still think they could have gotten more but maybe Bowman is confident in the way these new guys fit. I won't question him too much. He knows how to manage a team.

BREAKING: #Coyotes Acquire Gordon from Edmonton in Exchange for Korpikoski INFO http://t.co/S6zptwKH4jhttp://t.co/5VYvGahFNC

How could the Hawks not match him? Pitt, Washington, and NYR have been vocal about needing wingers, they could and should have shipped Hossa or Sharp out before Saad became an issue. 

How could the Hawks not match him? Pitt, Washington, and NYR have been vocal about needing wingers, they could and should have shipped Hossa or Sharp out before Saad became an issue.

There's a ton we don't know. Is Hossa willing to waive his NMC? I believe there was a report last year he would retire if traded. Is Sharp being picky on his destination? It's always been reported that the team is working with him on a destination. And those teams you named also have cap issues. It's probably a bad idea just to throw Sharp away for scraps in order to clear space to match a crazy offer sheet.

I wouldn't have done this deal if I were Chicago, but there's a lot unknown here. I tend to trust a guy with two cups.

There's a ton we don't know. Is Hossa willing to waive his NMC? I believe there was a report last year he would retire if traded. Is Sharp being picky on his destination? It's always been reported that the team is working with him on a destination. And those teams you named also have cap issues. It's probably a bad idea just to throw Sharp away for scraps in order to clear space to match a crazy offer sheet.

I wouldn't have done this deal if I were Chicago, but there's a lot unknown here. I tend to trust a guy with two cups.

That doesn't make them perfect. There's no way Sharp or Hossa can't be moved to make room for Saad. Or Bickel even. 

Imagine what we would still have if we would've gone for Gordon instead of O'Reilly?

I genuinely don't understand this. For one, they have a week to figure out how to match. Secondly, they're allowed to go over the cap temporarily (10% is it?). Lastly, if they say they match and can't shed the necessary contracts, they would at least have time and term agreed to so they could try to get a better return, be it from CBJ or elsewhere. 

And really, Boyd Gordon instead of O'Reilly? Did you and Mike Richards hang out this morning? I'd rather have O'Reilly than Saad and Gordon, primarily because I'd rather have O'Reilly than Saad. Gordon does nothing for me.

Edited by TrueBluePhD

I genuinely don't understand this. For one, they have a week to figure out how to match. Secondly, they're allowed to go over the cap temporarily (10% is it?). Lastly, if they say they match and can't shed the necessary contracts, they would at least have time and term agreed to so they could try to get a better return, be it from CBJ or elsewhere.

And really, Boyd Gordon instead of O'Reilly? Did you and Mike Richards hang out this morning? I'd rather have O'Reilly than Saad and Gordon, primarily because I'd rather have O'Reilly than Saad. Gordon does nothing for me.

Oh cmon True. That one was obvious sarcasm. :p

That doesn't make them perfect. There's no way Sharp or Hossa can't be moved to make room for Saad. Or Bickel even. 

They have won three Cups in five years. While I think they may have over played their hand with respect to Sharp, I think they earned the benefit of the doubt. Like Hoss said, there is a lot we don't know with respect to their attempts to clear cap space. On top of that, I have heard three respected analyst  in the last three hours predict that Dano will outscore Saad within the next three years.

They have won three Cups in five years. While I think they may have over played their hand with respect to Sharp, I think they earned the benefit of the doubt. Like Hoss said, there is a lot we don't know with respect to their attempts to clear cap space. On top of that, I have heard three respected analyst  in the last three hours predict that Dano will outscore Saad within the next three years.

Really? I admit I don't know much about him. Are they underestimating Saad or is Dano that good?

They have won three Cups in five years. While I think they may have over played their hand with respect to Sharp, I think they earned the benefit of the doubt. Like Hoss said, there is a lot we don't know with respect to their attempts to clear cap space. On top of that, I have heard three respected analyst in the last three hours predict that Dano will outscore Saad within the next three years.

If our GM was responsible for two (or even one) cup(s) I would absolutely support them in nearly any decision they made within reason. I think this Saad decision is at least reasonable.

If our GM was responsible for two (or even one) cup(s) I would absolutely support them in nearly any decision they made within reason. I think this Saad decision is at least reasonable.

Would you still think it reasonable if you found out Chicago made minimal efforts to elsewhere relieve their cap? Or that the other attempts at moving Hossa, Sharp, or Bickel were comparable in relative value to that of the Saad trade, but they decided to trade Saad instead?

This was a smart move by Bowman, Dano and Anismov will help them next season, rather then waiting 3-4 years for the draft picks to develop.

Sorry, but how does Saad not help them next season?

I don't mean to be jumping all over everyone, sorry if I am. I'm just really interested in this trade and the board's opinion on it

I think this hurts Chi, Saad has been coming into his own and his confidence is through the roof. Hossa looked old and a step slower, and Bickel is a good character guy, but they can be found. Saad was gonna cost but gotta think the Hawks could have trimmed elsewhere.

I think this hurts Chi, Saad has been coming into his own and his confidence is through the roof. Hossa looked old and a step slower, and Bickel is a good character guy, but they can be found. Saad was gonna cost but gotta think the Hawks could have trimmed elsewhere.

Agree with all but Hossa.  I thought he played great.

Wow. I wonder who's the mysterious gunman with these offer sheets (I think there was one rumored in the Dougie Hamilton situation as well).

In any case, it looks like the offer sheet weapon is getting deployed more freely, which I think is a good thing.

Someone should call these agents on their bluff.

Would you still think it reasonable if you found out Chicago made minimal efforts to elsewhere relieve their cap? Or that the other attempts at moving Hossa, Sharp, or Bickel were comparable in relative value to that of the Saad trade, but they decided to trade Saad instead?

I would still find it reasonable. Unreasonable would've been sending Saad off for a 2nd and scraps. They got a legitimate third-liner in Anisomov who CAN be more, a very good prospect in Dano and a few other small parts.

I imagine there's still a good chance that Sharp and/or Bickell. They seem to have an ultimate respect for Hossa and will allow him to remain a Blackhawk until he's ready to walk away. There's value in that.

Bieksa to Ducks, and they will let Beauchemin go to FA. Apparently, Francoise wanted three years and Ducks only willing to give two.

He's 38, but coming off a great year in #1 pairing for Anaheim. Would anyone like to see GMTM go after him?

I would, but not for three years. Two @ $10M, I'd take him.

(Maybe this should go in FA thread, but it was prompted by Bieksa trade)

I've seen/heard that stuff too, and while all of the underlying numbers point to sustainability...these projections are still being based off of a ~30 game sample, and I'd consider them pretty optimistic. Even if they plug Dano in with Toews and Hossa, I'm assuming Saad is going to be centered by Johansen, so I don't think he's going to fall below 50 points annually, with potential for more. It's possible Dano hits 55+ but it's not something I'd go betting on.

I've seen/heard that stuff too, and while all of the underlying numbers point to sustainability...these projections are still being based off of a ~30 game sample, and I'd consider them pretty optimistic. Even if they plug Dano in with Toews and Hossa, I'm assuming Saad is going to be centered by Johansen, so I don't think he's going to fall below 50 points annually, with potential for more. It's possible Dano hits 55+ but it's not something I'd go betting on.

I wouldn't bet on it either but was just pointing out that not everyone thinks the deal was horrible from a Chicago point of view

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.