Actual NHL Trades -- Discuss 'em in here.

Samson's Flow

LeBrun: Stars acquire rights to pending UFA Antti Niemi for pick 193

They had said yesterday that Dallas wanted to do a 1a - 1b situation.

WOW!

ANA trades Etem and 41 to NYR for Carl Hagelin and two picks.

Full details from McKenzie:

NYR trades Carl Hagelin and 59th and 179th picks to ANA for Emerson Etem and 41st pick. Then NYR take Ryan Gropp with 41st pick.

Edited by Hoss

That Lehner better be the next Lundquist for what we paid. Lack, Talbot, Niemi all cost a hell of lot less then #21.

He doesn't have to be Lundquist, just better than the other guys who were traded for less.

Possibly 31 and 51. Sather supposedly turned down an offer of two 2nds from a team, was rumored it was from Murray.

So glad if that was the case.

Talbot scared me.

@jonasTSN1050: Leafs trade 107th pick and Brad Ross to Edmonton for Martin Marincin, 23-year-old defenceman.

@FAN590: The #Oilers have acquired D Eric Gryba from the #Senators for the 107th pick & F Travis Ewanyk. #NHLDraft

Edited by BRAWNDO

Here's an odd twist of unintended consequences. In 2014 Sam Gagner was traded to Tampa only to be turned around and traded to Glendale, Tampa retained salary equal to $1.6mil/yr. Today Gagner gets traded to Philly in exchange for Chris Pronger's contract and Nicklas Grossman. The Flyers retain $500,000 of Grossman's contract and Glendale takes on the Pronger mess. Here's the unintended consequences. Philly is considering buying out Gagner whose cap hit now sits at $3.6mil for this year. Since Tampa retained salary from a previous trade, the amount held against the cap for Tampa will now be reduced by half but extended out one more year. In 2016-17 Tamps will have (my own calculations) $800,000 more on their cap that they probably didn't plan on. 

First time I've heard of this, I wonder if this starts to become more common and if there any other loopholes teams start exploiting. Like trading a player to a team as incentive to have them trade another player in which you retained salary so it can be halved to reduce your own cap. That sounded better in my head. 

Here's an odd twist of unintended consequences. In 2014 Sam Gagner was traded to Tampa only to be turned around and traded to Glendale, Tampa retained salary equal to $1.6mil/yr. Today Gagner gets traded to Philly in exchange for Chris Pronger's contract and Nicklas Grossman. The Flyers retain $500,000 of Grossman's contract and Glendale takes on the Pronger mess. Here's the unintended consequences. Philly is considering buying out Gagner whose cap hit now sits at $3.6mil for this year. Since Tampa retained salary from a previous trade, the amount held against the cap for Tampa will now be reduced by half but extended out one more year. In 2016-17 Tamps will have (my own calculations) $800,000 more on their cap that they probably didn't plan on. 

First time I've heard of this, I wonder if this starts to become more common and if there any other loopholes teams start exploiting. Like trading a player to a team as incentive to have them trade another player in which you retained salary so it can be halved to reduce your own cap. That sounded better in my head.

And this year, the Bolts would have ~$1.1MM in cap space they didn't anticipate.

Not sure who you're viewing as exploiting the loophole. Tampa's more a lucky spectator IMHO.

The Philadelphia Flyers have acquired 5-11, 202 lb C Sam Gagner and a conditional 2016 or 2017 draft pick from the Arizona Coyotes in exchange for D Nicklas Grossmann and the contract of D Chris Pronger, according to general manager Ron Hextall.

Gagner, 25 (8/10/1989), recently completed his eighth NHL season. In 81 games for the Coyotes in 2014-15, he recorded 15 goals and 26 assists for 41 points, along with 28 PIM.

#tank for matthews :D

I think we earned the right to call this one :D

Edited by Heimdall

Ha Murray's day was similar to the one Kevin Costner had in "Draft Day." At one point he's getting criticized/slammed and the next he's being praised for what he managed to pull off. Murray made it look so easy. 

Exaggerated idea of what things may have been like after Lehner trade 

Exaggerated idea of what things may have bee like after O'Reilly trade

Skip to 2:30ish. 3:10 is where it feels like Murray.

I hope he called Joe Sakic a "pancake eating mother*cker!" Lmao. (Would it surprise you if he did? Didn't think so.)

#tank for matthews :D

I think we earned the right to call this one :D

Matthews might very well end up being better than Eichel. Some say he could have gone #1 this year if he was born 2 days earlier.

(He did completely destroy Eich's stats with the development team...I think next year's draft could be just as good as this year's.)

Edited by Bob Malooga

Boston goes from winning a Cup to being arguably the worst run organization in the league in a span of 4 years. Outstanding.

I've been telling my nephew this was going to happen for a year or so now. Just like I told my cousin the same would happen to the 49ers.

It's the cycle of sports. The bad teams are getting better after being bad for so long, the good teams are getting old and experiencing cap problems from their success. It happens all the time. Who would've thought the Warriors would be so good in the NBA, and the Lakers would be a lottery team? It's just the way the cycle goes...New England is next.

(And I LOVE it.)

Edited by Bob Malooga

I've been telling my nephew this was going to happen for a year or so now. Just like I told my cousin the same would happen to the 49ers.

It's the cycle of sports. The bad teams are getting better after being bad for so long, the good teams are getting old and experiencing cap problems from their success. It happens all the time. Who would've thought the Warriors would be so good in the NBA, and the Lakers would be a lottery team? It's just the way the cycle goes...New England is next.

(And I LOVE it.)

I'm not even talking about the natural cycle of money and age...their new management has no idea what they're doing. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.