Actual NHL Trades -- Discuss 'em in here.

Samson's Flow

Sorry, but how does Saad not help them next season?

I don't mean to be jumping all over everyone, sorry if I am. I'm just really interested in this trade and the board's opinion on it

Some GM probably Murray was ready to offer a 6.5 million per year offer sheet to Saad which he agreed to sign. Bowman had around 4 million in cap space with 16 players signed, if he matched he would have 17 players signed and be over by 2.5 million. Even if Sharp and his 6

Million cap hit had already been traded, Saad's Deal would have put them back to square one. I am fully expecting Sharp and Bickell to be moved to clear more space. Between Dano and Teurvanen(sp ?) Bowman probably feels he can get similar production. He is going to keep his core Toews, Kane, Keith and Hossa intact and build around them. Three cups in six years he gets the benefit of the doubt.

Edited by BRAWNDO

I wouldn't bet on it either but was just pointing out that not everyone thinks the deal was horrible from a Chicago point of view

Yea I think my initial reaction underappreciated Dano--this isn't anywhere near Hamilton-level bad. But I still think it's well below the optimal offseason for Chicago thus far. Bowman may be satisfied given how things evolved, but a week ago I doubt he'd be happy if he was told in one week he'd still have Sharp and Bickell and lost Saad for a non-cheap 3rd liner (maybe a better way to look at it is Richards' replacement as #2C for $3 million more money) and a good prospect.

Some GM probably Murray was ready to offer a 6.5 million per year offer sheet to Saad which he agreed to sign. Bowman had around 4 million in cap space with 16 players signed, if he matched he would have 17 players signed and be over by 2.5 million. Even if Sharp and his 6

Million cap hit had already been traded, Saad's Deal would have put them back to square one. I am fully expecting Sharp and Bickell to be moved to clear more space. Between Dano and Teurvanen(sp ?) Bowman probably feels he can get similar production. He is going to keep his core Toews, Kane, Keith and Hossa intact and build around them. Three cups in six years he gets the benefit of the doubt.

See that's what I don't get. Sharp seems destined to leave, so that leaves you with either Hossa or Saad, no? Why not choose Saad? 

I'd imagine the cap recapture on Hossa would be especially wicked if they trade him now and he retires several years early. 

Hadn't thought of that. I'll wait and judge Chicago until I see what happens with Sharp and friends, and how Dano plays with some stars on his line. I still think it's a bad trade, and one that makes CBJ a real dangerous player in the East

See that's what I don't get. Sharp seems destined to leave, so that leaves you with either Hossa or Saad, no? Why not choose Saad?

Hossa was arguably the one of the best players on the Hawks in the playoffs. The only thing I can figure is Bowman wants to capitalize on this group as much as possible before he has to consider trading one of the big two.

Or what Blue said

This is the downside of having 2 contracts take up over 25% of your cap.

Edited by BRAWNDO

Hadn't thought of that. I'll wait and judge Chicago until I see what happens with Sharp and friends, and how Dano plays with some stars on his line. I still think it's a bad trade, and one that makes CBJ a real dangerous player in the East

Super small sample warning, but it's all we have to go on, and without stars he's impressive:

d8qoJ9p.png

Edited by TrueBluePhD

Man, the Blue Jackets should be very dangerous if healthy.

Their top six should be something like:

Saad - Johansen - Hartnell

Foligno - Duninsky - Atkinson

Still have Calvert, Jenner, Clarkson and Wennberg to mess around with in the bottom six.

They're the perfect spot for somebody like Justin Williams or Joel Ward to slide into the top six.

Super small sample warning, but it's all we have to go on, and without stars he's impressive:

(True's awesome fancy stats)

Small sample warning noticed, but that's still pretty impressive. I remember Saad's from our O'Reilly thread. Did Dano not play with Johansen?

Anisimov is a solid player, solid as in Dumont. Not that that's a bad thing, but he's not exactly a starting point of a trade. Dano is better than Grigo, more consistent at least, but I agree with you that Zadorov provides more intrigue and a higher ceiling. Throw in that Compher solidly projects to be a 2nd, or at worst 3rd, line player and a 2nd pick and I think either we could have gotten Saad for much less, or Chicago got Boston-esk hosed.

How could the Hawks not match him? Pitt, Washington, and NYR have been vocal about needing wingers, they could and should have shipped Hossa or Sharp out before Saad became an issue.

I have a minor quibble with Compher's projection, I've never heard 2nd liner, 3rd at worst, I was thinking a likely 4th liner, possibly 3rd, with a floor of not making any impact at the NHL level

I have a minor quibble with Compher's projection, I've never heard 2nd liner, 3rd at worst, I was thinking a likely 4th liner, possibly 3rd, with a floor of not making any impact at the NHL level

Most of my info comes from this forum but he's always been discussed as a 2nd - 3rd liner. Maybe that was because of our piss poor lines the last couple of years.

Kessel to Pittsburgh. Interesting.

GO SABRES!!!

Scott Harrington, Kasperi Kapanen, and a 1st round draft pick goes the other way.

Edit: Apparently TO keeping 15% of Kessel contract. Also, to give Pittsburgh additional cap relief, Pens send Spaling to TO for a 2nd round pick.

Edit 2: TO also gets a 3rd and Pens get Erixon & Biggs.

Edited by Taro T

Penguins are a disaster waiting to happen.

No picks or prospects to speak of, more than half their cap tied to five players, no cap room.

Enroth to LA

I realize the Pens are top heavy and that's a concern for a long playoff run, but that's one hell of a top end of a roster. With Crosby and Malkin hitting their upper 20s, I don't think they can afford to rebuild depth through the draft. Going all out for the next 3-4 years seems like a reasonable course of action to me.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.