Trade: Lehner and Legwand to Buffalo

Mustache of God

I respectfully disagree with you. The teams of the mid 70's were head and shoulders above any of those squads. 

Holy smokes - that team that had Perreault in his prime, Martin, Gare, etc. -- lost to the Islanders in the ... conference finals, maybe? THAT was the greatest Sabres team ever.

I feel more and more that Darcy's post-lockout juggernaut was the result of a good amount of skill and acumen, and a fair amount of plain luck at a unique 2-year window where the rules were strictly enforced.

Bad management has gotten us where we are and that's where we'll stay. 

With all the money TP is willing to spend on coaches he should have bought the best GM his money could buy. You give a rebuild of this magnitude to a first time GM and this is what you get.

This guy is a joke and is quickly becoming a laughingstock. Absolutely no reason to give up what he did and even less reason to do it now. Let the freaking day play out.

Actually, good management has gotten us to where we are, Eichel day! Do you realize how hard Murray worked to ensure last place? Overcoming Nolan, bringing in the right guys that wouldn't move us up the standings etc. I called you guys out during the season and today is when I expect us as a group to move forward together. Seems that won't be the case.

Happy Eichel day boys.

Tim murray said he really wanted legwand, and not just to get to the capfloor.   I find that part hard to believe.

Have not heard that anywhere. TM said himself, in his presser, that Legwand had to be part of the deal and that was that.

huh?  He said Legwand was part of the deal that Ottawa said he had to take.

Really? The quote I read was legwand was part of the deal. Take it or leave it

This. Yes.

Guess what? He had a 10 team no trade list and the Sabres weren't on it.

The way i heard him say it was that Tim wanted legwand not that His uncle said he had to take legwand.  And i find that hard to believe it was not to get to the capfloor.

Legwand has maybe 2 yrs left, I thought let the youth play was part of the plan this season.

Holy smokes - that team that had Perreault in his prime, Martin, Gare, etc. -- lost to the Islanders in the ... conference finals, maybe? THAT was the greatest Sabres team ever.

I feel more and more that Darcy's post-lockout juggernaut was the result of a good amount of skill and acumen, and a fair amount of plain luck at a unique 2-year window where the rules were strictly enforced.

Scotty Bowman agrees with you and never got over blaming Martin for that loss.

Exactly, he traded a 12th, a 15th, a 16th a 21st and a 31st for a 3rd and a 4th. I think he paid too much! He just paid another 1st for a second round goalie with a potential career threatening health issue plus a washed up big salary dump.

Without doing the research, I will bet you that the above trade would be a steal for the team that got the 3rd and 4th pick in 90% of past drafts.

Oh, and the 1st for Lehner is included in my list.

When the "best player" is a .905 save % goalie with concussion problems, you lost the trade.  Especially when you're giving up a first in (supposedly) the best draft since 2003.

Also, with regard to Regier, if he hadn't stockpiled all those assets, Murray wouldn't have anything to burn through for his overpriced crap.

Of course, if Regier hadn't stockpiled all those assets he'd still be here. All those assets were acquired because he sucked.

In GMTM we trust. Still.

Edited by beerme1

Legwand is garbage.  Murray himself said he had to take him as part of the deal.  "take it or leave it".  Murray is not going to put a player in the lineup that he was forced to take in a trade, and I don't see a reason to include Legwand into any projected lineup.  With the talent the Sabres will have next season he'll either be traded, cut, or sent to AHL.  

So the deal is essentially Lehner for 21st.

If the Sabres were planning on taking Samsonov 21st, then it's "who is more valuable....Lehner vs. Samsonov".  Murray has preached the fact that in certain areas you want a player who is farther advanced in their development in order to make an immediate impact.  That's where this trade makes sense, as Samsonov is years away and hasn't proven anything in the league yet, whereas Lehner has proven he can do it in the league, is young, and still has upside.  If Arturs Urbe can make some of the scrubs we had last year look like Patrick Roy, imagine what he can do with Lehner.

My only concern is the fact is that we now don't have a 2nd first round pick.  With ROR still out there we now have one less asset to trade for him.  That makes me nervous, especially with the price of ROR going up, that the Sabres may give up another player who is more developed and could help the team immediately for the next 10 years instead of a 21st pick who is years away.

In the end I have faith that Murray is doing the right thing, and he certainly knows more about hockey talent than I do.  This doesn't kill my excitement for the day.  Its nice that we have a GM that goes for it and doesn't sit on his hands and do NOTHING.

We now have our starting goalie next season (whether you like it or not) and with that we have one less piece we have to worry about obtaining,

GO SABRES!

Of course, if Regier hadn't stockpiled all those assets he'd still be here. All those assets were acquired because he sucked.

In GMTM we trust. Still.

No, they weren't.  He made a choice to do that.  Remember "Suffering"?

Of course, the Sabres got cold feet and decided to fire everyone and hire old fan favorites (Ted Nolan and Pat LaFontaine) to fix things right away but it's not like sucking wasn't the plan.

So far Murray's two best moves are drafting Reinhart and Eichel -- the two critical parts of Regier's plan.

You make the deal 31 instead of 21 and I'm ok with it.

Close enough then.

I might be the only poster here happy with this trade.

So this is what it is like to be PA.  :P

I'm ok with it, but see above. 31 would have been preferred but I also think even in a deep draft you're splitting hairs between 21 and 31 and we locked up a your guy with term and a nice number who likely would have crashed back at Lucic :)

Check goalie off the list. I get the harsh feelings from most people but some of it is just freaking ludicrous.

Oh and it's Eichel day! Cheers everyone. Keep your together would ya.  :beer:

That article concludes with:

"Verdict: The Senators got what they wanted out of the deal - a first-round pick and some financial relief - and that's enough to get the nod over Buffalo. If Lehner turns out to be great, or even good, then the Sabres won't have any regrets, but paying a first-round pick and taking on salary seems like more than it would cost to acquire some of the other goaltenders that are known to be available this summer. Consider this the price of Sabres GM Tim Murray getting his guy."

No, they weren't.  He made a choice to do that.  Remember "Suffering"?

Of course, the Sabres got cold feet and decided to fire everyone and hire old fan favorites (Ted Nolan and Pat LaFontaine) to fix things right away but it's not like sucking wasn't the plan.

So far Murray's two best moves are drafting Reinhart and Eichel -- the two critical parts of Regier's plan.

What?

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.