Around the NHL: 2015-2016

LGR4GM

Nick Kypreos @RealKyper
Hearing #Flames Wideman had his #NHL suspension reduced by 10 games by neutral arbitrator James Oldham today. @SNHockeyCentral

Well, there ya go. Another great Gary Bettman decision!

After he's served just about the full 20, too.

NHL gon' NHL.

I read that the arbitrator indicated that the incident was at least partly attributable to Wideman being impaired from an apparent concussion.

It was so obvious Napoleon was stringing this out to 20 games no matter what happened, couldn't they have put it off one more day to make it 20 games officially?

I hope the NHLPA gets involved in this. ###### move that I hope ends in a lawsuit. 

The NHL is slowly becoming as corrupt as the NFL. 

I agree, but they both have a long way to go to match the most awesomely corrupt FIFA.

It was so obvious Napoleon was stringing this out to 20 games no matter what happened, couldn't they have put it off one more day to make it 20 games officially?

I hope the NHLPA gets involved in this. ###### move that I hope ends in a lawsuit. 

I agree, but they both have a long way to go to match the most awesomely corrupt FIFA.

Maybe an attorney like Smell can correct me here but I don't think it was really up to Bettman and the NHL to control how long this process took ... the NHLPA filed the appeal and it followed the procedures which were collectively bargained. The decision was handed down by an independent arbiter. If the NHLPA doesn't like how long it took, they can negotiate a different system into the next CBA. No doubt it is skewed against the player but a lot of individual issues in CBAs are not split right down the middle from a fairness standpoint on their own.

Again, I say this all with the big caveat that I am no lawyer ...

Smell isn't a lawyer any more, Pipes.

Didn't you hear he was promoted to Judge and sat on one trial and then disappeared.

We have had PA under the bare bulb and he isn't talking.

Damn phone.

He's more of a lawyer than I am. Or he at least played one on message boards.

I heard the news will be talking about Supreme Court Justice Smell any day now.

Maybe an attorney like Smell can correct me here but I don't think it was really up to Bettman and the NHL to control how long this process took ... the NHLPA filed the appeal and it followed the procedures which were collectively bargained. The decision was handed down by an independent arbiter. If the NHLPA doesn't like how long it took, they can negotiate a different system into the next CBA. No doubt it is skewed against the player but a lot of individual issues in CBAs are not split right down the middle from a fairness standpoint on their own.

Again, I say this all with the big caveat that I am no lawyer ...

I see your point, I'm like you and am not entirely sure how the process works. But I do find it highly coincidental that the decision came on the day of what would have been his 20th game. 

What I did hear, however, is it was up to Bettman whether or not Wideman  could play while the appeal took place. That might be a key factor in this mess. The man is becoming a tyrant. 

I see your point, I'm like you and am not entirely sure how the process works. But I do find it highly coincidental that the decision came on the day of what would have been his 20th game. 

What I did hear, however, is it was up to Bettman whether or not Wideman  could play while the appeal took place. That might be a key factor in this mess. The man is becoming a tyrant. 

Bettman is a clown but he had little choice here. He can't admit he thinks Wideman was concussed, and he can't look soft on violence against an official. Given that it's not a high-profile player ... and anon-playoff team ... I totally understand the ruling. 

Bettman is a clown but he had little choice here. He can't admit he thinks Wideman was concussed, and he can't look soft on violence against an official. Given that it's not a high-profile player ... and anon-playoff team ... I totally understand the ruling. 

Very true, it's a lose-lose for Napoleon no matter what. But it's not the length of the suspension that I'm questioning. 

2 appeals take time.

2 appeals take time.

It doesn't take a month and a half. You don't find it awfully coincidental that the decision came out on the day of his 20th game? If he allowed Wideman to play during the appeal like most other organizations, the appeal would have been done a month ago (my opinion of course). 

Napoleon knew damn well how to play this out so he got his 20 games and he would look good to the refs. Not to mention he can now force the retirement of another veteran ref. 

It doesn't take a month and a half. You don't find it awfully coincidental that the decision came out on the day of his 20th game? If he allowed Wideman to play during the appeal like most other organizations, the appeal would have been done a month ago (my opinion of course). 

Napoleon knew damn well how to play this out so he got his 20 games and he would look good to the refs. Not to mention he can now force the retirement of another veteran ref.

It could very easily take a month and a half with a private arbitrator with other matters to attend to. He's not going to drop all of his pther clients and cases just because a hockey appeal comes in.

It still doesn't negate my point.

Let me add...I've now looked the arbitrator up. Professor at Georgetown Law. He has a schedule. These things do take time. I have waited months for arbitrators' decisions on numerous occasions. Could it be a conspiracy? Sure. But it's probably not. Edited by Eleven

Let me add...I've now looked the arbitrator up. Professor at Georgetown Law. He has a schedule. These things do take time. I have waited months for arbitrators' decisions on numerous occasions. Could it be a conspiracy? Sure. But it's probably not.

Bettman didn't let him play during his appeal. Bettman also waited a few games to announce the 20 games to prolong the process. Bettman knew exactly what he was doing to get him his 20 games. He is a tyrant. 

Sorry to be absent.

I don't imagine either side is enamoured of a system that worked like this. They oughta put their heads together and come up with something better.

As far as Sabrespace lawyering goes, I'll happily defer to Eleven, 3putt, et al. (there's another of us whose avatar I can see in my mind, but whose name escapes me).

Sorry to be absent.

I don't imagine either side is enamoured of a system that worked like this. They oughta put their heads together and come up with something better.

As far as Sabrespace lawyering goes, I'll happily defer to Eleven, 3putt, et al. (there's another of us whose avatar I can see in my mind, but whose name escapes me).

I think nfreeman is a lawyer too, but I could have that all wrong.

NJ-LA has a total of 35 shots with 2 left in the 3rd. St.Louis and Dallas each had that when they entered OT, or very close to it. I really don't want you watch LA in another Cup final

In all fairness, NJ isn't the team known for offense the past 20 years.