Around the NHL: 2015-2016

LGR4GM

I can't believe Max Domi is Tie Domi's kid. Next thing ya know Rob Ray's son will have offensive ability.

My cousins went to school with Ray's kids about 5 years or so ago. Never got to meet him directly but my aunt said he was the nicest guy, and he was even cool enough to autograph stuff for a lot of our family for fun. 

Ducks are in some trouble, I would be shocked if Bruce makes it through the season, let alone into next year (Hello, Todd Richards)

They had won four straight prior to today. Now 4-0-1 with 9 points in 5 games. Murray is out of the country right now so a chance is highly unlikely. They're giving Bruce time to figure it out.

They had won four straight prior to today. Now 4-0-1 with 9 points in 5 games. Murray is out of the country right now so a chance is highly unlikely. They're giving Bruce time to figure it out.

I knew they had righted the ship lately, but I didn't know to that extent. I still don't think they make it far in the West, and he gets canned after another disappointing playoff loss to the Kings. 

Edited by WildCard

My cousins went to school with Ray's kids about 5 years or so ago. Never got to meet him directly but my aunt said he was the nicest guy, and he was even cool enough to autograph stuff for a lot of our family for fun. 

I remember meeting Ray a few times as a kid, he was always great--never seemed to be going through the motions with the public stuff. 

I remember meeting Ray a few times as a kid, he was always great--never seemed to be going through the motions with the public stuff. 

I've interacted and hung out a bit with Rob on several occasions, mostly as a result of my younger kids being the same age as his kids. He is as advertised, as they say. A kind-hearted man who happens to have meat hooks for hands. He is genuinely kind to and good with the kids as well, not just his own.

It is for these reasons that I maintain such a soft spot for him, even while his colour commentating is a bit choppy. Shoot. He's even said stuff from time to time that hints at a recognition that he may not ultimately hold onto the gig; that it doesn't come naturally but that he's working at it.

Good guy.

He may be terrible but he's one of us.

Those of you who are still in the Buffalo area may not realize how important that is for us expats.  The familiar voice that says Buffalo Hockey (along with RJ and the rest of the crew, sure, but somehow Ray always stood out as the guy you could have a nice talk with over a beer).

He may be terrible but he's one of us.

Those of you who are still in the Buffalo area may not realize how important that is for us expats.  The familiar voice that says Buffalo Hockey (along with RJ and the rest of the crew, sure, but somehow Ray always stood out as the guy you could have a nice talk with over a beer).

that is most definitely the case.

I've interacted and hung out a bit with Rob on several occasions, mostly as a result of my younger kids being the same age as his kids. He is as advertised, as they say. A kind-hearted man who happens to have meat hooks for hands. He is genuinely kind to and good with the kids as well, not just his own.

It is for these reasons that I maintain such a soft spot for him, even while his colour commentating is a bit choppy. Shoot. He's even said stuff from time to time that hints at a recognition that he may not ultimately hold onto the gig; that it doesn't come naturally but that he's working at it.

Good guy.

I'd really like him personally. Funny. Warm. Genuine.  And because of those things I find him tolerable because of that familiarity. 

But I've never once thought he was good at the color thing. Jim Lorenz really hasn't been replaced, except for occasional flashes of Harry Neal's old brilliance. But we really didn't get that night to night. 

It's a damn hockey game, not a valedictorian speech. I'll never understand the constant criticism for every mistake Ray makes. I tend to be critical of the people that actually have an education to become a journalist/sportscaster. I'd get on Dunleavy's case because he's full of cookie cutter cliches over Ray getting somebody's name wrong. 

Does the David Puddy goalie mask go here? Or in the awesome thread?

http://m.nydailynews.com/sports/hockey/albany-devils-goalie-seinfeld-david-puddy-mask-article-1.2424051

That just made my day.

It's a damn hockey game, not a valedictorian speech. I'll never understand the constant criticism for every mistake Ray makes. I tend to be critical of the people that actually have an education to become a journalist/sportscaster. I'd get on Dunleavy's case because he's full of cookie cutter cliches over Ray getting somebody's name wrong.

The verbal jumbles are a minor annoyance and the source of most jokes, but I done think they're at the heart of people's problems with Ray. It's the content of his analysis that has zero value added which is the problem. Edited by TrueBlueGED

The verbal jumbles are a minor annoyance and the source of most jokes, but I done think they're at the heart of people's problems with Ray. It's the content of his analysis that has zero value added which is the problem.

I love Rob, but I hafta admit this is accurate. Just an example: I listened to his colour on Risto's second goal against the Canucks. It was actually better than what he'd have offered a season or so ago, but he still managed to miss the critical role Foligno played in dishing the puck back to Risto rather than trying to jam it past Miller's pads. Rob had a few chances to see that piece and relate it, but whiffed (as far as I heard).

All that said, I think he has shown improvement and am content with him being part of the broadcast team.

By contrast, just take a listen to Lorentz's call on Pominville's OT winner in 2006. So much insight there, and then he wraps it up in a nice bow.

That just made my day.

The verbal jumbles are a minor annoyance and the source of most jokes, but I done think they're at the heart of people's problems with Ray. It's the content of his analysis that has zero value added which is the problem.

Trust me, he's better than most. 

No, you're right.

yeah. a problem being, it's not an either/or proposition. for example, most of us can remember the terrific jim lorentz on colour.

And Jim wasn't great overnight. There is no one pairing that will replace a broadcasting duo born in the era of radio dominance of sporting events. We had the best of both worlds. While we are at it lets get a generational talent for quater back and a first pairing set of defense men in the later rounds of the draft. Easy peasy. Just keep drafting/replacing broadcaster and sooner or later the squirel will find the blind nut.

And Jim wasn't great overnight. There is no one pairing that will replace a broadcasting duo born in the era of radio dominance of sporting events. We had the best of both worlds. While we are at it lets get a generational talent for quater back and a first pairing set of defense men in the later rounds of the draft. Easy peasy. Just keep drafting/replacing broadcaster and sooner or later the squirel will find the blind nut.

Fair deuce on Lorentz having grown into his role and voice. But you overstate your point. Even in his green days, Lorentz provided keen content.