Around the NHL: 2015-2016

LGR4GM

The NHL is so stupid.  A loss is a loss.

I don't agree with this and never have.

The points system has been set up for one purpose, choosing the best teams for the playoffs.

A team that is in every game, fighting hard and getting to overtime but still losing, is a better team than one that lost every game 7-1. The point system reflects that.

The points system has been set up for one purpose, choosing the best teams for the playoffs.

A team that is in every game, fighting hard and getting to overtime but still losing, is a better team than one that lost every game 7-1. The point system reflects that.

Ok but let's not call 26 teams over .500 because they arent. They lost games...in overtime.

I never thought of it that way before.

I don't think the league does either (they like the illusion it creates for fans) but I do think you are correct.

I hate that the NHL rewards losses with a point.

Seems that they are the only league (other than the CHL, if I recall correctly) that does in major league sports.

I've banged the drums for a wins only based system for some time. Get rid of the points system, this ain't NASCAR. 

The points system was set up to keep as many teams in the chase as possible.  That it also ends up choosing the best for the playoffs is surely an unintended consequence.  The league doesn't have the common sense to create a system that intentionally enhances a good teams chance at a playoff berth.

DeLuca 500!!

As much as people loved to rag on me about that, if you look at the standings today every team that has won at least half of their games is holding a playoff spot. It is a simple truth of the NHL and has been for some time. You need to win half of your games to have a chance at the playoffs. 

3 for regulation, 2 for OT, 1 for shootout. Problem solved?

No need.