Should Bettman award the Cup? How to improve this ceremony.

X. Benedict

One thing that always leaves me flat and seems somewhat beneath the dignity of the most prized possession in sports (in my opinion), is that Gary Bettman leads the cup presentation ceremony.

Bettman's bad. He's awkward. He's cloying. He's pandering. He's never played the game. We've been watching him do this presentation thing for 20+ years. Quite simply, he is bad theater and distracts from the dignity of the moment.

Although I liked the Fanfare for the Common Man. I think that the presentation should be handed over to the Hall of Fame committee so that someone who has won the cup is presenting to the winners. 

My solution: 

The oldest living/able Captain of a Stanley Cup winning team should be the one handing over the cup. 

So maybe George Armstrong , Bobby Clarke, or Yvan Cournoyer should hand the cup over. 

Wouldn't that be much cooler than Bettman putting his mitts on it. 

But just think, in the years to come, it would be Potvin, Messier, Gretsky, Lemieux.  

Anyway, just some thoughts on an awkward ceremony. 

Edited by X. Benedict

One thing that always leaves me flat and seems somewhat beneath the dignity of the most prized possession in sports (in my opinion), is that Gary Bettman leads the cup presentation ceremony.

Bettman's bad. He's awkward. He's cloying. He's pandering. He's never played the game. We've been watching him do this presentation thing for 20+ years. Quite simply, he is bad theater and distracts from the dignity of the moment.

Although I liked the Fanfare for the Common Man. I think that the presentation should be handed over to the Hall of Fame committee so that someone who has won the cup is presenting to the winners.

My solution:

The oldest living/able Captain of a Stanley Cup winning team should be the one handing over the cup.

So maybe George Armstrong , Bobby Clarke, or Yvan Cournoyer should hand the cup over.

But just think, in the years to come, it would be Potvin, Messier, Gretsky, Lemieux.

As long as the set up remains conference survivor vs conference survivor; how about having a "geezer" from a team in each conference there for the photos, but the guy repping the winning side gets to hand it to the winning captain.

Could have the other old guy hand off the Conn Smythe.

Can't see Bettman willingly stepping out of the spotlight though. Unfortunately.

Edited by Taro T

My solution:

I like your idea for Stanley Cup vets handing the Cup over.

The problem is how do you tell the commissioner of the sport that he's not wanted in the ceremony?

I want less ceremony. Even the whole "everyone gets a chance to skate around with it", which started spontaneously (Emrick said in '95 but that doesn't seem correct) now is some tortured ritual where they all get in line and wait patiently for there turn. It's awful. Just give them the Cup and let them go crazy with it.

I want less ceremony. Even the whole "everyone gets a chance to skate around with it", which started spontaneously (Emrick said in '95 but that doesn't seem correct) now is some tortured ritual where they all get in line and wait patiently for there turn. It's awful. Just give them the Cup and let them go crazy with it.

Nothing makes the players do this. It has been tradition for 20 years and they want/like doing it. Similar to everyone getting their day with the cup. it isn't like the NHL or Bettman is giving each of them a number and telling them to get in line.

Nothing makes the players do this. It has been tradition for 20 years and they want/like doing it. Similar to everyone getting their day with the cup. it isn't like the NHL or Bettman is giving each of them a number and telling them to get in line.

How long before they do so they can get the best camera angles? It just seems forced now.

How long before they do so they can get the best camera angles? It just seems forced now.

I think thats what its actually all about. The players each want their own iconic photo holding the cup above their head in triumph post win. I'm o.k. with the ceremony. Its become a part of the tradition.

Doesn't the commissioner of every major sports league hand the championship trophy over to the winning team? Just because you hate Bettman it doesn't mean they should be different.

And the owners don't hate him, if they did he wouldn't be in his job, the owners seem to think he is doing a really good job.

The commissioners job always seems to be hated by the fans of that sport for some reason, and fans always think they are doing some horrible job running things, yet the owners of the teams all seem to think they are doing pretty good jobs at what they do

Doesn't the commissioner of every major sports league hand the championship trophy over to the winning team? Just because you hate Bettman it doesn't mean they should be different.

And the owners don't hate him, if they did he wouldn't be in his job, the owners seem to think he is doing a really good job.

The commissioners job always seems to be hated by the fans of that sport for some reason, and fans always think they are doing some horrible job running things, yet the owners of the teams all seem to think they are doing pretty good jobs at what they do

That wasn't his point whatsoever.  X spelled it out pretty clearly.  Bettman is beyond awkward during that entire ceremony.  If they can find a way to improve that, they should.  But let's face it, if by this point he hasn't figured out how to do the presentation, he never will.  If they can find a way to make the whole thing less clunky, they should do it.  Hell, all he really has to do is talk less and the problem is solved.

What is wrong with you? First you hate Toews and the Blackhawks and now the greatest celebration in sports? Yikes. Go watch curling or something.

Yeah, having some senior citizen out there on the ice handing over a heavy trophy or just doing what Bettman does is going to be less ackward and clumsy.

I haven't really seen much of a difference between the other sports leagues and the NHL presentation when it comes to ackwardness. It's difficult to have it go smooth when it's live and in the moment

I think thats what its actually all about. The players each want their own iconic photo holding the cup above their head in triumph post win. I'm o.k. with the ceremony. Its become a part of the tradition.

What is wrong with you? First you hate Toews and the Blackhawks and now the greatest celebration in sports? Yikes. Go watch curling or something.

Bun nailed it and that's what's wrong with me. Players are more interested in documenting that moment than they are in actually enjoying that moment.

Why be like other sports?  The Stanley Cup predates the NHL. The cup really doesn't belong to the NHL as much as it belongs to hockey. 

Doesn't the commissioner of every major sports league hand the championship trophy over to the winning team? 

I think that's right.

As for the idea of having others involved to effect the hand-over -- the question remains: Who's going to be the emcee? I supposed the league could choose and groom a telegenic hockey icon for a league position that would have as its responsibility the presentation of the Cup.

That just seems unlikely to come to pass. I don't see a way of getting Bettman entirely out of the picture.

The cup really doesn't belong to the NHL

I think that is literally the case. I believe the Stanley Cup is owned by another entity, and has a long-term licensing deal with the NHL.

They could have an alumni member of the winning team accompany the commissioner to reduce the booing. Like Gil Perreault when the Sabres win.

As for skating with the Cup, they used to skate around the rink as a group and hand it off as they skated around. I preferred that to the current standing around. But they'd have to get all the media out of the way.

The Cup is owned by a board of trustees who have basically allowed it to become the defacto trophy for the NHL although theoretically the KHL champion could challenge the NHL champion for it.  The trustees would have to consent which they never will.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.