Should Bettman award the Cup? How to improve this ceremony.

X. Benedict

The cup may not be "owned" by the league but it is what is awarded to the championship winning team by the league. And that is why the league has their highest level representative (the comissioner) present the award to them. They could do something like the NFL and have someone from the network on stage to help emcee, but you are going to always have the comissioner up there doing the actual awarding of the cup and speaking to the team.

Having an alumni from the teams past makes no sense in most cases since they have no tie to the winning of the cup except that they were alumni

All the things said by the original poster are true about Bettman, but one other thing stands out even more.

The players HATE him and are just up there thinking, "shut up and give me the f'ing Cup already."

Edited by rickshaw

How about the chairman of the board of trustees, then?

I'd be all for that. Who is it? Anyone know how to find out who serves on this SC board of trustees?

The 2017 Ford Focus presents the Snickers Stanley Cup!

You shut your mouth.

All the things said by the original poster are true about Bettman, but one other thing stands out even more.

The players HATE him and are just up there thinking, "shut up and give me the f'ing Cup already."

Probably fair to infer that the NHL's players have no love for Bettman.

Just imagine if the Patriots were to win the SB next season

Jesus himself could be up there with the Cup full of puppies and the players would still be thinking the same exact thing.  "Ladies and gentlemen, your 2015 Stanley Cup Champions, the Chicago Blackhawks!"  That is the exact quote that the presenter needs to say and then get the hell out of there.

I always felt like Bettman liked the attention up there. He really savors his time when talking and I always got the sense it was about him, not the winning team. What really irritates me is that he won't hand the cup over until he gets the cheap photo-op with the Captain and him holding the Cup. Who in the world cares about that photo other than Bettman?

It seems there are two trustees:  Brian O'Neill and Ian Morrison.  

As in Brian O'Neill, AHL MVP for the Calder Cup-winning Manchester Monarchs, and Ian "Scotty" Morrison, retired chief of NHL referrees?

Who are these guys really?

I'm kinda surprised (perhaps not really) that people care so much about it.

he goes out there.. presents the trophy and then the fun begins.  it should be fairly unscripted.. I've no problem with any of it.  I don't need any more pageantry injected into things.

I'm kinda surprised (perhaps not really) that people care so much about it.

he goes out there.. presents the trophy and then the fun begins.  it should be fairly unscripted.. I've no problem with any of it.  I don't need any more pageantry injected into things.

I agree. Even if you hate him, it's kind of fun to see him get boo'd (as stated earlier) and it's not like he's grandstanding up there for too long.

This problem could be solved if Bettman was replaced with a good commissioner who wasn't booed by every NHL hockey fan in every NHL city at any and all NHL events at which the commissioner appears.

Simple.

That's just how it works. Bettman does kind of suck but the commissioner is always a bad guy. Just like the president. That's just how it is.

This problem could be solved if Bettman was replaced with a good commissioner who wasn't booed by every NHL hockey fan in every NHL city at any and all NHL events at which the commissioner appears.

Simple.

I'm old enough to remember when Clarence Campbell was the NHL commissioner (well, president actually) and HE was booed by fans when presenting the Cup. John Zeigler, who was about as boring and whitebread as they come was also booed.  Nobody likes the Commish.

Well, what if the captain from the reigning Cup Champion presented the trophy to the captain of the new champs.  They could have a designated emcee and have the commissioner just hovering in the background, "officiating" as it were. Much better.

Simple.

Every commissioner, every league, every time.  Not just the NHL and not just Bettman.  People love to boo Commissioners. Perhaps because it reminds them of the business aspects of the game?  I have no idea.

Every commissioner, every league, every time.  Not just the NHL and not just Bettman.  People love to boo Commissioners. Perhaps because it reminds them of the business aspects of the game?  I have no idea.

My guess: A commissioner can only do bad or neutral things (in the fans' eyes) for your team. I'll use a Sabres example: if Gary Bettman had come out after Hull scored and said, "that wasn't a goal, Hull's foot was in the crease, get these cameras off the ice; we have more hockey to play". Everyone in Buffalo wouldn't be saying, "wow, GB really hooked us up that time; we owe him."; the response would be, "damn right that wasn't a goal, nice of you to not f' that up".

I don't remember commissioners being booed like Bettman, but maybe my memory is just bad.

I find Bettman to be a particularly bad commissioner, so I can see why people boo him.

As a general rule, maybe fans do boo all commissioners b/c they represent the dark side of the game.

I don't remember commissioners being booed like Bettman, but maybe my memory is just bad.

I find Bettman to be a particularly bad commissioner, so I can see why people boo him.

As a general rule, maybe fans do boo all commissioners b/c they represent the dark side of the game.

They represent a bunch of crotchety old unnaturally rich owners. Sorry Kimmy :blush:

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.