Trade ideas and speculation

Hoss

I would be shocked if GMTM brought in Vanek.  He's the antithesis of GMTM's kinda guy.

I would also be shocked if GMTM traded Reino, who was GMTM's first big move as a Sabre and who had a really good rookie year.

I can definitely see GMTM trading #8, with sweeteners as needed, for a ready-to-go top-pairing LHD.

Sam Reinhart, perpetually underrated around here.

I don't think he is underrated around here anymore. I do however think that he is fairly often the casualty (in trade talks, around here) of being a second overall pick centre who happens to be on a roster where we have another, even higher projected, second overall pick centre. If we didn't have Jack, Sam's name wouldn't be coming up in trade proposals.

But even having said that, I don't think those mentioning it really want to trade Reinhart. I certainly don't, and I doubt we will. But anyone can be traded, and talking about possibilities is harmless.

First of all, I don't want to trade Reinhart and I don't underrate him. If an old guy like me can have a favourite player, he's the guy.

I've been in his corner since Ron Rolston was coach and was defending him from the "weak and slow" naysayers well before LGR ever muttered the words "will be fine."

Secondly, read what the post says before reacting: Murray AND 3 for Sam and SOMETHING

Sam Reinhart is the best player in the deal.

But when all is said and done, Jesse Puljujarvi is probably a better right winger.

If you have every intention of playing Jack and Ryan as your top two centres, then moving Sam should not be out ofthe question for the right package. If you think Ryan Murray is Mark Pysyk then you walk away, but if you think he is an undervalued talent with Teppo Numminen upside, like I do, who can fill your biggest hole, you look at it hard.

I probably don't do it because of how much I like Sam, but that's more my heart talking than my head.

I would trade 8 for Murray straight up, but I doubt Columbus would.

I would also trade 8 for Murray straight up, I think. Depending on other offers.

Mike Chambers

@MikeChambers

Avalanche NOT trading D Tyson Barrie, GM Joe Sakic tells me. LT deal preferred for RFA, or arbitration. "Either way, he'll be here" - Sakic

12:45pm · 16 Jun 2016 ·

No mention of Duchene?

I would be shocked if GMTM brought in Vanek.  He's the antithesis of GMTM's kinda guy.

I would also be shocked if GMTM traded Reino, who was GMTM's first big move as a Sabre and who had a really good rookie year.

I can definitely see GMTM trading #8, with sweeteners as needed, for a ready-to-go top-pairing LHD.

Agreed.

Wildcard asked a great question as to who we might be able to plunder by taking a bad contract.

I think it likely has been a focus of Murray's and it might lead us into unexpected pickups.

Teams that might need to clear cap space include:

Anaheim: has $19 million available but is not a cap team and needs to re-sign RFAs Vatanen, Lindholm, Rakell and Anderson, who could eat up the entire space between them. In addition, they have to fill the roster holes created by seven departing UFAs. They are probably looking to move Anderson and Vatanen, but have a ton of attractive prospects. Stoner at $3 million is their most likely dump.

Columbus has just $3 million available. Most of their roster is set, but it's not that good and they need to re-sign Seth Jones. They are burdened with a ton of NMCs, but Jack Johnson at $4 million is a potential dump. Hartnell has apparently agreed to waive. They have a solid prospect list.

Detroit has $11 million available to sign Mrazek Dekeyser and Pulkinnen and replace four UFAs. Everyone knows about their push to dump Datsyuk's contract but Howard's $5 and Ericsson's $4 are another pair of albatrosses, as is $4 for the broken-down Franzen.

LA has just $3 million in space. They have no key RFAs, but Lucic, Lewis and Luke Schenn are UFAs, and Pearson and Toffoli a RFA next year. They'd kill to dump Dustin Brown, but he and maybe an aging Gaborik are really their only bad contracts.

Minnesota has $7 million with Zucker, Dumba and Kuemper to sign this year and Grandlund, Neidereiter and Haula next. They'd love to dump Vanek or Pominvilles, but each has an NMC,

Montreal: doesn't have any pending signings to worry about, but they don't have much flexibility with only $5 million in space. Emelin and Desharnais are contracts they wouldn't mind dumping.

Rangers have $15 million to play with, but need to sign Kreider, Haayes and Miller and replace Eric Staal, Boyle and Yandle. Nash is obviously available, but he won't be a free dump. mark Staal or Girardi might be. They don't have many chips to spare as sweeteners.

Penguins are $2 million over the cap. Looking at the roster, the only logical solution is to trade Malkin for futures.

St. Louis have $12 million in space, but have to re-sign Schwartz this year and Shattenkirknext, as well as replace Backes and Brouwer. It appears their solution is to trade Shattenkirk without taking on salary.

Tampa has so many pending free agents that they will be a mess if they resign Stamkos, even if they trade Bishop, so Steve is gone. They'd love to find someone to take Carle.

And of course there are other teams that may not be desperate to clear space, but would like to in order to facilitate other moves.

Curious to watch how these statements and situations are resolved. 

Very insightful post, a nice clean way to catch up on where the other teams are at regarding the cap in one line, handy information for draft speculation.

Long time lurker that just wanted to say thanks for the insight... (*slips very fat-ninjalike back into the shadows*)

Edited by Buffaslug

Curious to watch how these statements and situations are resolved.

Very insightful post, a nice clean way to catch up on where the other teams are at regarding the cap in one line, handy information for draft speculation.

Long time lurker that just wanted to say thanks for the insight... (*slips very fat-ninjalike back into the shadows*)

Post more so I can see the avatar more often.

Pysyk Girgs 8 for Eberle and 4

Read it n the Internet.

Probably unrelated, as I'm pretty sure you're just joking 

#Sabres announce GM Tim Murray, Dir. of Scouting Rob Murphy & Dir. of Amateur Scouting Greg Royce will meet media Tuesday to talk #NHLDraft.

Edited by WildCard

Probably unrelated, as I'm pretty sure you're just joking

@StepnerWKBW 8h8 hours ago

#Sabres announce GM Tim Murray, Dir. of Scouting Rob Murphy & Dir. of Amateur Scouting Greg Royce will meet media Tuesday to talk #NHLDraft.

No joke. I read it from a random poster, who probably has no credibility at all, but presented it as a framework that is in place for ongoing talks.

I'm repeating it because I think it's an interesting, plausible scenario, made up or not.

I'm glad we get a Murray presser soon. I've missed him.

Edited by dudacek

No joke. I read it from a random poster, who probably has no credibility at all, but presented it as a framework that is in place for ongoing talks.

I'm repeating it because I think it's an interesting, plausible scenario, made up or not.

I'm glad we get a Murray presser soon. I've missed him.

No offense, but who is this poster?

At first glance, the trade seems very unbalanced. Then again, it depends how much Edmonton values Pysyk, and wants to unload Eberle 

No offense, but who is this poster?

At first glance, the trade seems very unbalanced. Then again, it depends how much Edmonton values Pysyk, and wants to unload Eberle

No offence taken. A guy on the hockey buzz Sabres board.

I'm not there very often so I can't speak to his credibility.

Idea is Edmonton trades from surplus (one-way offensive forward) to fill need (top-4 RHD and middle-six gritty forward) and still drafts a good D at eight.

Sabres get a scorer to ride shotgun for Jack, plus their pick of the 4-10 gang in the draft.

Trade from their surplus of centres and RHD.

That's generally how straight hockey trades work and Murray mentioned he had the framework of a hockey deal on the table in March that he could see happening at the draft. Also said Jacks sidekick not on th e team - yet.

I don't see it as lopsided. Sabre guys are unproven, but Eberle is pretty one-dimensional and the difference between four and eight this year isn't huge.

Ages and salaries seem to work, although the poster mentioned us getting Ference as a cap dump.

Edited by dudacek

No offence taken. A guy on the hockey buzz Sabres board.

I'm not there very often so I can't speak to his credibility.

Idea is Edmonton trades from surplus (one-way offensive forward) to fill need (top-4 RHD and middle-six gritty forward) and still drafts a good D at eight.

Sabres get a scorer to ride shotgun for Jack, plus their pick of the 4-10 gang in the draft.

Trade from their surplus of centres and RHD.

That's generally how straight hockey trades work and Murray mentioned he had the framework of a hockey deal on the table in March that he could see happening at the draft. Also said Jacks sidekick not on th e team - yet.

I don't see it as lopsided. Sabre guys are unproven, but Eberle is pretty one-dimensional and the difference between four and eight this year isn't huge.

Ages and salaries seem to work, although the poster mentioned us getting Ference as a cap dump.

That was pretty much how I caalled out the Roy for Ott deal that ended up happening.  It was one of those it-makes-too-much-sense-not-to-happen sort of things.

Hockeybuzz guys is just guessing - in on that all the time. Way too much for edm to give up there, Eberle had a ton of chemistry with mcjesus. More realistic trades:

Bogo and #8 for Hall

Bogo and #8 for reinhart and #4

Pysyk and girgs for #4

Hockeybuzz guys is just guessing - in on that all the time. Way too much for edm to give up there, Eberle had a ton of chemistry with mcjesus. More realistic trades:

Bogo and #8 for Hall

Bogo and #8 for reinhart and #4

Pysyk and girgs for #4

If Edmonton traded Hall for Bogosian and 8, their whole management team would be fired and GMTM would win executive of the year before the official start of the year.

Between Cagguila, Vesey, Stamkos and the rest of Free Agency will Murray possibly balk at making a major move simply because of the perceived possibility of talent coming at no other cost than greenbacks? Am I channeling too much Darcy Reiger here?

On the exact flip side...

How much of his motivation could be caused by Tim simply wanting to give the fans some excitement at a home draft?

My vote is to stand pat at #8, there is plenty out there after the 1st plateau this year, which is why so many teams are debating moving back. combine as many of our 2nd, 3rd's etc as necessary and see how many quarters it will take to make a dollar and get back in to top 15 with another pick. 

Farming picks has been fun but we are looking at a mess in 3-4 years re: 50 contract cap if we do another round of the "grab college kids because it postpones any decisions we need to make for longer" type of draft.

Pysyk Girgs 8 for Eberle and 4

Read it n the Internet.

I hope this happens. It seems a little fishy as I'm so eager to do the deal, perhaps we would need to add a little more.

But with your trade breakdown, it does make sense. 

Is Eberle a tire fire in his own end or just avg/slightly below avg.?  I don't care how he can score, I don't want another Cody Hodgson.

I don't think he's Hodgson bad; off the top of my head

In other news

"Trading Fleury now is best for everyone involved.

Flames GM Brad Treliving is well aware of the possible fit and, as should be expected from the diligent workhorse, he’s been in contact with (Penguins GM Jim) Rutherford."

- Eric Francis, Calgary Sun

http://thehockeywriters.com/calgary-flames-pittsburgh-penguins-marc-andre-fleury/

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.