Trade ideas and speculation

Hoss

Wildcard asked a great question as to who we might be able to plunder by taking a bad contract.

I think it likely has been a focus of Murray's and it might lead us into unexpected pickups.

Teams that might need to clear cap space include:

Anaheim: has $19 million available but is not a cap team and needs to re-sign RFAs Vatanen, Lindholm, Rakell and Anderson, who could eat up the entire space between them. In addition, they have to fill the roster holes created by seven departing UFAs. They are probably looking to move Anderson and Vatanen, but have a ton of attractive prospects. Stoner at $3 million is their most likely dump.

Columbus has just $3 million available. Most of their roster is set, but it's not that good and they need to re-sign Seth Jones. They are burdened with a ton of NMCs, but Jack Johnson at $4 million is a potential dump. Hartnell has apparently agreed to waive. They have a solid prospect list.

Detroit has $11 million available to sign Mrazek Dekeyser and Pulkinnen and replace four UFAs. Everyone knows about their push to dump Datsyuk's contract but Howard's $5 and Ericsson's $4 are another pair of albatrosses, as is $4 for the broken-down Franzen.

LA has just $3 million in space. They have no key RFAs, but Lucic, Lewis and Luke Schenn are UFAs, and Pearson and Toffoli a RFA next year. They'd kill to dump Dustin Brown, but he and maybe an aging Gaborik are really their only bad contracts.

Minnesota has $7 million with Zucker, Dumba and Kuemper to sign this year and Grandlund, Neidereiter and Haula next. They'd love to dump Vanek or Pominvilles, but each has an NMC,

Montreal: doesn't have any pending signings to worry about, but they don't have much flexibility with only $5 million in space. Emelin and Desharnais are contracts they wouldn't mind dumping.

Rangers have $15 million to play with, but need to sign Kreider, Haayes and Miller and replace Eric Staal, Boyle and Yandle. Nash is obviously available, but he won't be a free dump. mark Staal or Girardi might be. They don't have many chips to spare as sweeteners.

Penguins are $2 million over the cap. Looking at the roster, the only logical solution is to trade Malkin for futures.

St. Louis have $12 million in space, but have to re-sign Schwartz this year and Shattenkirknext, as well as replace Backes and Brouwer. It appears their solution is to trade Shattenkirk without taking on salary.

Tampa has so many pending free agents that they will be a mess if they resign Stamkos, even if they trade Bishop, so Steve is gone. They'd love to find someone to take Carle.

And of course there are other teams that may not be desperate to clear space, but would like to in order to facilitate other moves.

Edited by dudacek

Any of these have merit as quality for cap space?

Pysyk/Guhle and 8 for Hartnell and Ryan Murray

Next year's first for Stoner, Thompson and Shea Theodore

2 and 3 this year, 2 next for Vanek and this year's first

Pysyk and 2 for Kreider and Mark Staal

Baptiste and 2 for Kunitz and Pouliot

Edited by dudacek

Any of these have merit as quality for cap space?

Pysyk/Guhle and 8 for Hartnell and Ryan Murray (Seems like a waste of assets)

Next year's first for Stoner, Thompson and Shea Theodore (No, we are not trading our 2017 1st) (Unless we are literally getting McDavid)

2 and 3 this year, 2 next for Vanek and this year's first

Pysyk and 2 for Kreider and Mark Staal (This merely gives us another Matt Moulson)

Baptiste and 2 for Kunitz and Pouliot (Is he any good? Pouliot that is, his stats are rather underwhelming for an 8th overall)(I almost like Dumoulin more)

Out of them that's the only one I'd even touch presently. I'd try to get it down to #38 and a 2nd next year for Vanek and #15

I'd rather take Pommers though, I fear Vaneks influence on the youngsters

Wildcard asked a great question as to who we might be able to plunder by taking a bad contract.

I think it likely has been a focus of Murray's and it might lead us into unexpected pickups.

Teams that might need to clear cap space include:

Anaheim: has $19 million available but is not a cap team and needs to re-sign RFAs Vatanen, Lindholm, Rakell and Anderson, who could eat up the entire space between them. In addition, they have to fill the roster holes created by seven departing UFAs. They are probably looking to move Anderson and Vatanen, but have a ton of attractive prospects. Stoner at $3 million is their most likely dump.

Columbus has just $3 million available. Most of their roster is set, but it's not that good and they need to re-sign Seth Jones. They are burdened with a ton of NMCs, but Jack Johnson at $4 million is a potential dump. Hartnell has apparently agreed to waive. They have a solid prospect list.

Detroit has $11 million available to sign Mrazek Dekeyser and Pulkinnen and replace four UFAs. Everyone knows about their push to dump Datsyuk's contract but Howard's $5 and Ericsson's $4 are another pair of albatrosses, as is $4 for the broken-down Franzen.

LA has just $3 million in space. They have no key RFAs, but Lucic, Lewis and Luke Schenn are UFAs, and Pearson and Toffoli a RFA next year. They'd kill to dump Dustin Brown, but he and maybe an aging Gaborik are really their only bad contracts.

Minnesota has $7 million with Zucker, Dumba and Kuemper to sign this year and Grandlund, Neidereiter and Haula next. They'd love to dump Vanek or Pominvilles, but each has an NMC,

Montreal: doesn't have any pending signings to worry about, but they don't have much flexibility with only $5 million in space. Emelin and Desharnais are contracts they wouldn't mind dumping.

Rangers have $15 million to play with, but need to sign Kreider, Haayes and Miller and replace Eric Staal, Boyle and Yandle. Nash is obviously available, but he won't be a free dump. mark Staal or Girardi might be. They don't have many chips to spare as sweeteners.

Penguins are $2 million over the cap. Looking at the roster, the only logical solution is to trade Malkin for futures.

St. Louis have $12 million in space, but have to re-sign Schwartz this year and Shattenkirk next, as well as replace Backes and Brouwer. It appears their solution is to trade Shattenkirk without taking on salary.

Tampa has so many pending free agents that they will be a mess if they resign Stamkos, even if they trade Bishop, so Steve is gone. They'd love to find someone to take Carle.

And of course there are other teams that may not be desperate to clear space, but would like to in order to facilitate other moves.

I'd take a guess they'll trade others and let go of UFAs before trading Malkin. Unless Malkin wants out, he's there like Kane and Toews are tied to Chicago. Fleury is a more likely casualty of the cap situation.

Edited by thewookie1

This is truth.

Tell me, if we added Shattenkirk, would anyone entertain the idea of keeping Bogo and instead trading Risto for a similar level lefty, ie Lindholm?

Thing is, Shattenkirk isn't signed long term, only has one more year left on his contract, I would trade him for Lindholm though.

If you trade Risto you might find that Bogo is your top RHD after next season.

Don't want anything to do with Vanek thanks., And to give something up for him? Hell no. I would rather overpay McGinn thanks. I don't want to do that either but Vanek is out of our blood and needs to stay there. And he'll have to be protected on top of that. NO. 

By the way Dudacek, great work. It's really eye opening actually and reinforces talk that this is going to be a wild time for a lot of teams. Your list shows why teams have a lot to do.

Thanks

Great post Dudacek. I love when so. Done does all the legwork! Really don't see a ton of interesting names, but NY has three of them. I know Kreider and Hayes are unlikely, but you have to call on them. Nash is intriguing, but it really does depend in the deal.

Agreed.

Nobody on St.Louis interests you?

I'd really be looking hard at Ryan Murray as a dark horse for that elusive first-pair D.

He'd be expensive, but he has exactly the game we need with lots of upside.

Columbus has depth on defence.

What the Jackets need most is a first-line centre and cap space.

Trading 8 should give them Jost, Keller or Bown. We would have to add.

I do not want to trade Reinhart, but they should take Murray and 3 for Reinhart and something.

Agreed.

Nobody on St.Louis interests you?

They do, I guess I'm just resigned to them moving Shattenkirk to keep the rest.

I'd really be looking hard at Ryan Murray as a dark horse for that elusive first-pair D.

I do not want to trade Reinhart, but they should take Murray and 3 for Reinhart and something.

You like Murray quite a bit more than I do, as I definitely don't see him as the answer on the top pair. He's more of a 2nd pair remake answer to me.

You're nuts if you want to trade Reinhart for anything short of a legit Top 2 D man Ryan Murray like Blue doesn't strike me as anything near being worth Reinhart not to mention adding the 8th pick.

You're nuts if you want to trade Reinhart for anything short of a legit Top 2 D man Ryan Murray like Blue doesn't strike me as anything near being worth Reinhart not to mention adding the 8th pick.

Sam Reinhart, perpetually underrated around here.

First of all, I don't want to trade Reinhart and I don't underrate him. If an old guy like me can have a favourite player, he's the guy.

I've been in his corner since Ron Rolston was coach and was defending him from the "weak and slow" naysayers well before LGR ever muttered the words "will be fine."

Secondly, read what the post says before reacting: Murray AND 3 for Sam and SOMETHING

Sam Reinhart is the best player in the deal.

But when all is said and done, Jesse Puljujarvi is probably a better right winger.

If you have every intention of playing Jack and Ryan as your top two centres, then moving Sam should not be out ofthe question for the right package. If you think Ryan Murray is Mark Pysyk then you walk away, but if you think he is an undervalued talent with Teppo Numminen upside, like I do, who can fill your biggest hole, you look at it hard.

I probably don't do it because of how much I like Sam, but that's more my heart talking than my head.

I would trade 8 for Murray straight up, but I doubt Columbus would.

Edited by dudacek

Wow, some great ideas being thrown around. Trade Samson and go after Vanek. Is this the Twilight Zone?

4 people I would never trade: Jack, Samson, ROR,Risto, and you can possibly add McCabe to that, who with a little patience may be a stud.

Vanek is a bum and always was,unless he was on 3rd line

Edited by Noacls

Wow, some great ideas being thrown around. Trade Samson and go after Vanek. Is this the Twilight Zone?

4 people I would never trade: Jack, Samson, ROR,Risto, and you can possibly add McCabe to that, who with a little patience may be a stud.

Vanek is a bum and always was,unless he was on 3rd line

I mean, the dude scored 40. He wasn't always a bum

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.