Trade ideas and speculation

Hoss

A third for Kovulchuk. Are you kidding me?! Abso######inglutely you do that!

He'll be 33 when he gets here, and is hardly dominating the KHL. What do you expect from him? He probably puts up 1 30 (doubt it), maybe some 20 goal seasons, and will demand a lot of money with a 'I-me-mine' attitude. 

A third for Kovulchuk. Are you kidding me?! Abso######inglutely you do that!

He's a POS. First class play no defense, only worried about my offense POS. He'll alienate everyone before stepping off the plane. It's a team sport and Ilya has never displayed any inclination that he comprehends this.

He'll be 33 when he gets here, and is hardly dominating the KHL. What do you expect from him? He probably puts up 1 30 (doubt it), maybe some 20 goal seasons, and will demand a lot of money with a 'I-me-mine' attitude.

He'll get paid what he's worth. GMs aren't stupid (well, for the most part).

That " I me mine" attitude is complete BS.

Pretty convenient to leave off 10-11 (Skinner's best season). 11-12 he had 5-5-10 more. 13-14 he had 12 more goals and one fewer assists. This season has, obviously, been a no-contest in Skinner's favor.

Convenient? Does 6 years ago really mean so much today? It's like saying Tyler Myers is a Calder winner. Fact is Skinner hasn't come close to his rookie production since. His 11-12 production also came in 16 more games than Ennis played. Ennis was better last year by a lot and better in 12-13. Skinner costs $1.1 million more, has a similarly sketchy injury history, and since his rookie year has been a lot more similar than he has been better.

Edited by TrueBlueGED

He's a POS. First class play no defense, only worried about my offense POS. He'll alienate everyone before stepping off the plane. It's a team sport and Ilya has never displayed any inclination that he comprehends this.

He took his last team of nonames to a SC final. Everything you are saying is crap. It is a figment of a bunch of 'Merican lets feel better about ourselves by ridiculing the selfish Russian BS.

Edited by SwampD

He took his last team of nonames to a SC final. Everything you are saying is crap. It is a figment of a bunch of 'Merican lets feel better about ourselves by ridiculing the selfish Russian BS.

IIRC the Devil's defense did that, not Illya

Edit: 8-11-19 in 23 games that postseason for him. A very good off season, but I don't remember him 'carrying' that team there in some LeBron-esk effort 

Edited by WildCard

I don't remember anyone who didn't love Kovalchuk before he left for the KHL. It's fine if you dislike him for that reason, but he's not some huge teammate that everyone hates. With his style of play I see no reason why he couldn't have 2-3 more 30 goal seasons even if this year was an albatross.

It's a shame he went home to play. One of the great goal scorers missing from a league in desperate need of goals. He could easily have over 500 career goals by this point. His play during that playoff run was as solid and physical as you could hope to see. 

Man, I remember Kovalchuk being a top 3-5 winger in the league, who learned to play defense in NJ. I loved the guy.

Yeah, that's how I remember him too. Not to mention the guy was incredibly nice, to me at least. Met the '02-'03 Thrashers once at whatever the old bowling alley in NT was before it shut down. Got the whole teams signature on a Thrashers jersey now, Snyder, Kovalchuk and Heatley included. 

Edited by IrwinNelson

This is a good article detailing the challenges that face him, if he wants to return to the NHL.  From May 2015 

Summed up, if he wants to go to another team, the other 29 teams would need to approve his reinstatement. I cannot see Lou approving this.

Craig Custance was on GR this morning and confirmed this.

His other option would be to sign a new deal with the Devils and he can be immediately reinstated, I can't see the Devils doing this even under new management. 

http://www.si.com/nhl/2015/03/24/ilya-kovalchuk-return-to-nhl-new-jersey-devils-bylaw-loophole

This is a good article detailing the challenges that face him, if he wants to return to the NHL.  From May 2015 

Summed up, if he wants to go to another team, the other 29 teams would need to approve his reinstatement. I cannot see Lou approving this.

Craig Custance was on GR this morning and confirmed this.

His other option would be to sign a new deal with the Devils and he can be immediately reinstated, I can't see the Devils doing this even under new management. 

http://www.si.com/nhl/2015/03/24/ilya-kovalchuk-return-to-nhl-new-jersey-devils-bylaw-loophole

I would have to think the Devils will send out flyers to see if anyone is interested and for what cost and then they would negotiate a deal from there. I'd feel comfortable giving him three year deal maybe worth $10-12m total, worst case scenario he leaves halfway through his contract. But I think he would hold up like Jagr has. After that contract he can bounce around like he has as well. 

Kovy did indeed have a great playoff run the year NJ went to the finals. He was a horse and a dominant presence.

However, he also bailed on them to go back home, leaving them in a bad spot, and seems to have bailed on his Russian team as well. We can't pretend there aren't some red flags here.

If he does return to the NHL, it seems likely that he'd want to join a team with a couple of Russian players.

Kovy did indeed have a great playoff run the year NJ went to the finals. He was a horse and a dominant presence.

However, he also bailed on them to go back home, leaving them in a bad spot, and seems to have bailed on his Russian team as well. We can't pretend there aren't some red flags here.

If he does return to the NHL, it seems likely that he'd want to join a team with a couple of Russian players.

So, Washington, St.Louis, or Pittsburgh? St.Louis would probably take him

Colorado ?

I was just listing off teams with Russian players. Colorado does have Girgs and Zadorov, but I doubt that's enough to draw him there. I'm sure they'd take him though. There won't be a shortage of places for Kovie to go, if he has the option Edited by WildCard

I was just listing off teams with Russian players. Colorado does have Girgs and Zadorov, but I doubt that's enough to draw him there. I'm sure they'd take him though. There won't be a shortage of places for Kovie to go, if he has the option

Don't forget Varlamov.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.