Trade ideas and speculation

Hoss

Since I think Stamkos is going to leave, I don't expect TB to trade Drouin.  TB has invested quite a bit in Drouin, and he's still very young.  I think it's logical for them to want to take a good long look at him next year in a bigger role, which he'll get since Stamkos' departure will open up minutes for other forwards.

Since I think Stamkos is going to leave, I don't expect TB to trade Drouin.  TB has invested quite a bit in Drouin, and he's still very young.  I think it's logical for them to want to take a good long look at him next year in a bigger role, which he'll get since Stamkos' departure will open up minutes for other forwards.

I'm surprised how this Stamkos fiasco is playing out.  He does seem as good as gone.  Atleast Stamkos, Marner and Mathews will create a great rivalry with ROR, Reinhart and Eichel in the near future..... :ph34r:

I'm surprised how this Stamkos fiasco is playing out.  He does seem as good as gone.  Atleast Stamkos, Marner and Mathews will create a great rivalry with ROR, Reinhart and Eichel in the near future..... :ph34r:

To me it comes down to how much TB is offering.  If their offer ends up being in the same ballpark as whatever he ends up signing for, then I will think less of him as a player.  A great player shouldn't voluntarily leave a Cup contender unless there is a really substantial difference in the money. 

To me it comes down to how much TB is offering.  If their offer ends up being in the same ballpark as whatever he ends up signing for, then I will think less of him as a player.  A great player shouldn't voluntarily leave a Cup contender unless there is a really substantial difference in the money. 

I see it totally differently.  There's more to life than maximizing money.  If he truly wants to play for team X, there's nothing wrong in my mind with taking less to play with team X.

I see it totally differently.  There's more to life than maximizing money.  If he truly wants to play for team X, there's nothing wrong in my mind with taking less to play with team X.

I'm with you.  And if it were Rob Gronkowski wanting to come home to Buffalo rather than Stamkos wanting to go home to Toronto, well, what then, nfreeman?

I'm with you.  And if it were Rob Gronkowski wanting to come home to Buffalo rather than Stamkos wanting to go home to Toronto, well, what then, nfreeman?

My point wasn't that it's all about the Benjamins -- my point is that for a professional athlete, it is, or should be, all about the championships.  That's why (leaving other baggage aside) Patrick Kane didn't leave Chicago during his prime to come home, it's why Kevin Love didn't leave LeBron, it's why Gronk shouldn't leave Brady and Belichik and IMHO it's why Stamkos shouldn't leave TB.

Having said that, I should probably have said that I will think less of Stamkos as an NHL star if he leaves TB for about the same cash.  I wouldn't think less of him as a human being -- in that context, yes, he should live wherever he will be happiest.

Something something Refs. :)

Very nice.

What else has Tampa invested in Drouin besides their pick for him? Definitely not ice time, that's for sure. If they think Stamkos is going to leave, or are even worried about it, why the hell isn't Drouin getting primo minutes so they can at least gauge his value?

My point wasn't that it's all about the Benjamins -- my point is that for a professional athlete, it is, or should be, all about the championships.  That's why (leaving other baggage aside) Patrick Kane didn't leave Chicago during his prime to come home, it's why Kevin Love didn't leave LeBron, it's why Gronk shouldn't leave Brady and Belichik and IMHO it's why Stamkos shouldn't leave TB.

Having said that, I should probably have said that I will think less of Stamkos as an NHL star if he leaves TB for about the same cash.  I wouldn't think less of him as a human being -- in that context, yes, he should live wherever he will be happiest.

I can't get on board with the idea that professional athletes aren't allowed to let other factors influence their decision. Just like I'd take a lesser job in the right city over the perfect job in a city I despise (lets say Dallas, or anywhere in Florida for that matter). Do you think less of Gorges for signing on with the Sabres when at the time Leafs were in a much better places?

In a career where you're in work around an average of what, 5 years? Take all the money you can get up front. These guys have no life outside of the 20 year window, tops, that they can make money and play. After that, then what?  Commentator or you're doing nothing. Not to mention all of the medical bills you'll have. Take the money and run 

Edited by WildCard

What else has Tampa invested in Drouin besides their pick for him? Definitely not ice time, that's for sure. If they think Stamkos is going to leave, or are even worried about it, why the hell isn't Drouin getting primo minutes so they can at least gauge his value?

Well, using the #3 overall pick on a guy is a big investment for a franchise, IMHO.  You don't just fire-sale that investment after 2.25 seasons.

I can't get on board with the idea that professional athletes aren't allowed to let other factors influence their decision. Just like I'd take a lesser job in the right city over the perfect job in a city I despise (lets say Dallas, or anywhere in Florida for that matter). Do you think less of Gorges for signing on with the Sabres when at the time Leafs were in a much better places?

My point was in the context of evaluating him as an NHL star.  If you were, say, CEO of JP Morgan, you would definitely be viewed as less of a rock star in that world if you left JP Morgan to work for Erie County Workers' Credit Union.

(I know that's an exaggeration -- but so is saying the Leafs were in a much better place when Gorges chose the Sabres over them.) 

In a career where you're in work around an average of what, 5 years? Take all the money you can get up front. These guys have no life outside of the 20 year window, tops, that they can make money and play. After that, then what?  Commentator or you're doing nothing. Not to mention all of the medical bills you'll have. Take the money and run 

Not sure how you got any disagreement from me with your thoughts here.  My point was that if the money is the same, he should stay in TB, and if he doesn't, I will think less of him as an NHL star.  I agree that if Toronto (or anyone else) offers him substantially more, he should take the cash.

My point was in the context of evaluating him as an NHL star.  If you were, say, CEO of JP Morgan, you would definitely be viewed as less of a rock star in that world if you left JP Morgan to work for Erie County Workers' Credit Union.

(I know that's an exaggeration -- but so is saying the Leafs were in a much better place when Gorges chose the Sabres over them.)

Whoops, you're right. I was thinking 2013-2014 was the year the Leafs collapsed in the 1st round to lose to Boston. It was 2012-2013.

But if you're tired of NYC and really wanted to move back home to Buffalo, this move would be totally justifiable, even if it was for less money.

Why are we all so comfortable telling other people what they should be doing in their lives? Is it because they're our source of entertainment so we only have certain constructs we think they should fit into? Sure it's our entertainment, but it's their lives. Maximizing the money, going home, chasing rings...all perfectly acceptable. There isn't a good reason to think it should only be about any one of these.

Why are we all so comfortable telling other people what they should be doing in their lives? Is it because they're our source of entertainment so we only have certain constructs we think they should fit into? Sure it's our entertainment, but it's their lives. Maximizing the money, going home, chasing rings...all perfectly acceptable. There isn't a good reason to think it should only be about any one of these.

I see you, LeBron

I used to feel that way. I don't anymore.

This is closer to where I am now.

And this is about precisely where I am. 

But if you're tired of NYC and really wanted to move back home to Buffalo, this move would be totally justifiable, even if it was for less money.

Of course.  I think though that these factors go into "how do I think of him as a person," not "how do I think of him as an NHL star (measured against other NHL stars)".  As a person, going home, or to California, or Montreal, or wherever is completely his business and I wouldn't deign to judge anyone for doing so. 

OTOH, if we're discussing best NHL players of a given era, I would think less of Stamkos relative to, say, Kane or Ovechkin or Kopitar for bailing unless the money was substantially higher.

I think some people here are underestimating the plight of the leafs fans. He would have grown up seeing all of those Sundin teams flame out in the playoffs and thinking he could be the one to change that. Now he has a real opportunity with Babcock behind the bench and a real solid core/pipeline. Being the guy to get the leafs the cup might be worth a discount to him. 

Toronto is perfect for him. Great market. Home. He doesn't have to take a discount because they'll have plenty of room. Babcock. Some young talent with a likely high pick to supplement it. Just in time for their 100-year celebration. New uniforms. No Donald Trump in Canada. You can still Google pictures of puppies above the border as far as I know. French fries.

anyone have any inkling as to Gronk's affinity for his hometown? Somehow I have gotten the feeling that Buffalo (the city & area) is not that big of a deal for him....though I could be wrong

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.