Trade ideas and speculation

Hoss

even with decent to good Goal-tending this team should probably end up bottom 5 / 6. That would probably mean they end with 75-80 points.

I know I will not be disappointed at all by this.

Before this team is truly ready to be a up contender they still need to find someone to pair with Risto and Mike Weber will be providing veteran leadership in Rochester.

Oh for sure; I figure bottom 6 or so in the league. 

It would be crazy if we actually won the thing, finally, now that no one is thinking of doing that or expects to.

If we aren't making the playoffs, which I never thought was very likely anyway, this is my dream scenario.  Leaping up from the #7-ish spot and grabbing the #1 pick would produce a GMTM facial expression for the ages.  It would be as if he was simultaneously skull fukcing all the NHL powers that be who felt it necessary to screw with the lottery because we had the nads to tank with such reckless abandon.

If we aren't making the playoffs, which I never thought was very likely anyway, this is my dream scenario. Leaping up from the #7-ish spot and grabbing the #1 pick would produce a GMTM facial expression for the ages. It would be as if he was simultaneously skull fukcing all the NHL powers that be who felt it necessary to screw with the lottery because we had the nads to tank with such reckless abandon.

Waaayyyy to early but just saying we again a get a top pick (or even #1 overall) I would hope Murray looked long and hard at every offer he got. A top 3 pick traded for the right pieces could take this team to the next level real quickly.

This league is funny sometimes. Coming into the year I was fully prepared to pay zero attention to outcomes and just let the team grow, but hot damn, we've looked much better than I anticipated. As a result, I find the goaltending situation more bothersome than I thought I would. While far from a guarantee, I think this could be a playoff team with decent goaltending. I'm still not willing to sacrifice any real long term assets, but I'm definitely in favor of pursuing a solution.

Waaayyyy to early but just saying we again a get a top pick (or even #1 overall) I would hope Murray looked long and hard at every offer he got. A top 3 pick traded for the right pieces could take this team to the next level real quickly.

Just like McDavid and Eichel: you're not trading Auston Matthews. You're also probably not trading Jakob Chychrun. If they're three or later I'd be looking hard at some young stud dmen in a trade.

even with decent to good Goal-tending this team should probably end up bottom 5 / 6. That would probably mean they end with 75-80 points.

I know I will not be disappointed at all by this.

Before this team is truly ready to be a up contender they still need to find someone to pair with Risto and Mike Weber will be providing veteran leadership in Rochester.

Weber will be a deadline deal guy.

What if we won the lottery, do you take Chychrun or Matthews?

Matthews no question. And that's not a knock on Chychrun. Similar to McDavid-Eichel as far as talent separation. Another great top two.

Also worth noting one is from Arizona and the other is from Florida.

I've watched Chychrun play a few times. He doesn't stand out like Ekblad did in his draft year. Plays a solid all round game, didn't notice any weaknesses. Watched him closely the last time I saw him live. Nothing he did jumped out at me but he was good. Seemed more like a Lidstrom style d-man, quiet and effective. However, he is not near that skill level yet. I could see him falling to 4-5 as Seth Jones did. Would be a great pick there.

My point is that Matthews would be my choice, hands down.

This league is funny sometimes. Coming into the year I was fully prepared to pay zero attention to outcomes and just let the team grow, but hot damn, we've looked much better than I anticipated. As a result, I find the goaltending situation more bothersome than I thought I would. While far from a guarantee, I think this could be a playoff team with decent goaltending. I'm still not willing to sacrifice any real long term assets, but I'm definitely in favor of pursuing a solution.

Completely on page with this. We are looking more and more like a team who should be at least a bit active. We've outshot our opponents in each of the last 7 games by an average of 10 shots. My first reaction to Huck's trade was hell no, but no doubt it is an intriguing scenario.  

Also, all this winning lottery talk is triggering some dark depression. Please let us enjoy some hard fought and controlling play before delving our psyche back to 2014. 

Agree with every single word.

True but don't want to give up to much, Also want to see where this Ullmark experiment is going.

I'm opposite of TBPhD here; my expectations were a little high, and only in this second Philly game did they come close to meeting the expectations I had.

Presently, I have moderated what this team is and where I think it's at. I have reconsidered Murray's statements, Bylsma's musings, and things I've read here from posters I respect. The point I am at now is to not move assets to "solve" the goalie issue.

I would rather wait until Lehner gets some real time in. I want to be patient and see how the band gels together, goalies included, because we're down high value assets and each move hence forth won't be as epic as the stuff we've seen from Murray hitherto.

My guess is that we may prefer to spend on shoring up the D corp, see how that settles, and keep an eye on the goalie market.

Between D-lo and Foligno, I am reminded that players can all of a sudden climb up to another plateau. I wouldn't want to regret spending anything on a goalie before giving the ones we have a decent chance to fit in. Miller could never get it right in St. Louis, and it took him a season to fit in with Vancouver, but now he looks pretty good.

What if we won the lottery, do you take Chychrun or Matthews?

I like Chychrun but Matthews just looks special.  He could easily push Moulson down and start in the top 6 immediately.  I like Chychrun's game though.  The Sabres may have better luck being a tweener at the draft lottery than as the worst team in the league.  Opposites attract :P

Edited by TheCerebral1

I guess that is true...lol. Better way to put it is top 5 pick.

I'm hoping for top 3... via the lottery. :)

I think CB nickname was thru way because he was called up like 15 times his first year

If he had worn #90 that would have made it perfect.

yup and spots 1-3 are up for grabs because the NHL is stupid.

I'll be curious if this leads to some teams remaining perennially bad because they drop to 3/4/5 in the pecking order.  

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.