Roster review: #3 Mark Pysyk

dudacek

Mark Pysyk  

62 members have voted

1. 1. Where does Mark Pysyk fit into the Sabres future?

• A reliable top-four two-way defender
    • A solid bottom-pairing guy
    • Trade bait
    • He’ll follow a path blazed by Luke Adam

With the coaching search over and running the Superdraft behind me, the time is ripe to renew our player discussion series with the most prominent of our final three free agents:

post-2708-0-95185300-1433356606_thumb.jpg

#3 Mark Pysyk D (23-year-old RFA)

Rochester 54/3/14/17/-2/32

Buffalo 7/2/1/3/4/2

A first-round pick, the captain of a powerful Edmonton Oil Kings junior squad and a world junior championship bronze medallist, Pysyk’s resume is dotted with very good — but not great — reviews and achievements. In his first two pro seasons, his stints with the Sabres flashed excellent skating and decision-making abilities. Many thought him a lock to be a regular on the Sabre blueline this past year, his third pro season. It didn’t happen.

Things started badly when a shoulder injury sidelined him in training camp and led to him being sent to Rochester. Eventually, injuries with the big club gave him a taste in Buffalo. He earned the praise of coach Ted Nolan who wanted to keep him. But Tim Murray had other plans, sending Pysyk back to the minors. Some called the move blatant tanking, but Murray said the young defender’s orders were to grow his game by taking more risks and responsibilities. That mission received a huge setback when he collapsed during a game of pick-up basketball in February. After a couple months of testing failed to pinpoint a cause, he returned to play in Rochester for the final weekend of the season.

Some would consider it odd that at 19, Mikhail Grigorenko was close to be written off as a bust by many fans, while a 23-year-old Pysyk is almost universally praised, despite his inability to thus far crack the full-time roster. Moving into this season, he is being counted on to upgrade the Sabre defence, adding steadiness and puck-moving ability. Some have him penciled in as high as the team’s number-three blueliner, despite lingering concerns about his health. Quietly, expectations remain high. Will he finally be able to meet them?

Links to the rest of the series:

Anders Linback: http://forums.sabres...nders-lindback/
Pat Kaleta: http://forums.sabres...patrick-kaleta/
Johan Larsson: http://forums.sabres...-johan-larsson/
Matt Hackett: http://forums.sabres...1-matt-hackett/
Andrej Meszaros: http://forums.sabres...ndrej-meszaros/

Phil Varone, Zac Dalpe, Jerry D'Amigo: http://forums.sabres...e-dalpe-damigo/

Edited by dudacek

Many thought him a lock to be a regular on the Sabre blueline this past year, his third pro season. It didn’t happen.

I see that as a question of circumstances.  Zadorov was basically stuck on the Sabres roster, so it was really a case of picking between keeping Risto and Pysyk with the big club.  For quite a stretch in the 2013-14 season I thought Pysyk was our best Dman.  I think the brass knew what they have with him, but felt Risto would benefit more by being on the big club.  So they put Pysyk away in cold storage for a season.  I expect him to be a very steady 3-6 Dman going forward.

I think Psysk has the talent and ability to be a top 4 defender but I chose solid bottom pairing guy because unless they play him out of position on the left hand side, he will be behind Bogosian and Ristolainen. I also have no interest in trading him right now because I believe his value will go up after he gets a chance to show what he can do for a full season this year.

With Disco Dan being a practitioner of the one-touch-and-out-quickly defence, I think Pysyk should have a good year.

He is built to shine in that system.

I also think he must be a character kid because if anyone should have been popping off it was him. Pysyk collecting an AHL paycheque when Strach, Benny, the Mess and even Nikita (alarm clock?) Zadorov were making the big bucks in the NHL was as big of an injustice as any we saw last year.

Edited by dudacek

With Disco Dan being a practitioner of the one-touch-and-out-quickly defence, I think Pysyk should have a good year.

He is built to shine in that system.

I also think he must be a character kid because if anyone should have been popping off it was him. Pysyk collecting an AHL paycheque when Strach, Benny, the Mess and even Nikita (alarm clock?) Zadorov were making the big bucks in the NHL was as big of an injustice as any we saw last year.

Great point.  I've always been very impressed by Pysyk's poise as a youngin in the NHL.  He could've easily started all of last season for us and been our best defenseman, perhaps surpassed by Risto/Bogo at the end of the season.

That said, I'm not sure what his offensive upside is.  He seems to be a competent passer, but I've never been wowed by his shot.

I picked bottom line defender and nearly clicked trade bait.

I am in the same boat here. I question his durability. I know this may be unpopular but Rudy has been more effective and more durable IMO. There is no way I would want him on the top four. His positioning is good and he does jump into offensive plays. He just doesn't have that mean streak I expect a Dman to have. IDK. I like the kid. He needs to find it and find it fast.

I am in the same boat here. I question his durability. I know this may be unpopular but Rudy has been more effective and more durable IMO. There is no way I would want him on the top four. His positioning is good and he does jump into offensive plays. He just doesn't have that mean streak I expect a Dman to have. IDK. I like the kid. He needs to find it and find it fast.

IMO...not all 7 of a teams blueliners need to be physical or have a mean streak.  The problem is when too many of them are not physical.  If the Sabres go into the season with Zadorov, Bogo & Weber in the top 6, we should be okay in that regard with the other 3 being Risto(who can also be physical at times), Pysyk & Gorges.

That said, I'm not sure what his offensive upside is.  He seems to be a competent passer, but I've never been wowed by his shot.

Are you kidding?  He has one of the most deceptive shots in the league.

IMO...not all 7 of a teams blueliners need to be physical or have a mean streak.  The problem is when too many of them are not physical.  If the Sabres go into the season with Zadorov, Bogo & Weber in the top 6, we should be okay in that regard with the other 3 being Risto(who can also be physical at times), Pysyk & Gorges.

I think Pysyk is as physical as he needs to be.  Look at Nick Lidstrom; practically Lady Byng material most of his career, and one of the most effective defensemen.  If you have good positioning you don't have to be physical to be effective, and one of Pysyk's strength is his positioning.  He's not flashy physically because he doesn't need to be.

And face it, it's the physical guys that get hurt.

Did they ever announce what his medical problem was at the end of the season?

They never came to a concrete conclusion. Dehydration is the leading theory.

He had all kinds of testing but it was all inconclusive.

IMO...not all 7 of a teams blueliners need to be physical or have a mean streak. The problem is when too many of them are not physical. If the Sabres go into the season with Zadorov, Bogo & Weber in the top 6, we should be okay in that regard with the other 3 being Risto(who can also be physical at times), Pysyk & Gorges.

I agree not every Dman needs to be a bone crusher. Pysyk is definitely a good hockey player. I tetered on trade bait simply because I've seen a lot of him in Rochester and I haven't been sold on him. I've been a big critic of McCabe but I feel he has a brighter NHL future than Pysyk does. IMO I like to have the option of which new Dman is better. These are good times for the Sabres. BTW. I hope I am wrong about Pysyk. I like the kid.

Great point.  I've always been very impressed by Pysyk's poise as a youngin in the NHL.  He could've easily started all of last season for us and been our best defenseman, perhaps surpassed by Risto/Bogo at the end of the season.

I'm not too worried about an offensive upside if he could be as reliable as Bill Hajt was back in the day.  I really like this kid.

Or Billy Hajt?

I really don't see him as a Billy Hajt. Hajt would use his size and reach to calmly pick skaters up at the blue line and  steer them wide and out of the play. He was almost impossible to get around. 

Pysyk is much more of a two-touch outlet passer. Get control of the puck with the first tough and pass it out with the second. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.