Roster review: #3 Mark Pysyk

dudacek

Mark Pysyk  

62 members have voted

1. 1. Where does Mark Pysyk fit into the Sabres future?

• A reliable top-four two-way defender
    • A solid bottom-pairing guy
    • Trade bait
    • He’ll follow a path blazed by Luke Adam

Pysyk is going to quietly chew up minutes, there will be periods you won't notice him out there because he's efficient. 

His upside is  like a right handed Paul Martin. 

I have no worries at all about him. Altogether, he's already put in a full NHL season. 

I swear I'm not saying this because I just owned being wrong about him on another thread, but IF Pysyk pans out I see him as the Sabres' version of Hjalmarsson ... 55 and 51 get all the hype like Seabrook and Keith, and Pysyk just eats up effective, quality minutes.

I really don't see him as a Billy Hajt. Hajt would use his size and reach to calmly pick skaters up at the blue line and  steer them wide and out of the play. He was almost impossible to get around. 

Pysyk is much more of a two-touch outlet passer. Get control of the puck with the first tough and pass it out with the second. 

Good insight - thanks. From where I sit, I only get as far as "quiet steady guy who can eat up minutes and isn't flashy."

Here's my concern on Pysyk, much of which I've posted previously:  based on what I've seen of Pysyk thus far, it doesn't seem like he does anything particularly well.  His size is just so-so, he's not much of a hitter, he doesn't have much of a slapper, he's not really one for carrying the puck up the ice and I haven't noticed him being a particularly good passer either.  He's very quick-footed and well-balanced on his skates, and reasonably fast, but not especially fast.

So I think his ability to be a good top-4 defenseman will come down to his decision-making and passing under pressure.  If he's able, on a very high percentage of plays in the defensive zone, to use his quickness to get to the puck first and make the correct decision on where to put it in order to best get out of the zone and start the offense going and put the pass in the right spot, then he can be a quality defenseman.  But if he can't execute that part of the game on a pretty high level, I don't think he has enough in the rest of his game to earn top-4 minutes.

Here's my concern on Pysyk, much of which I've posted previously:  based on what I've seen of Pysyk thus far, it doesn't seem like he does anything particularly well.  His size is just so-so, he's not much of a hitter, he doesn't have much of a slapper, he's not really one for carrying the puck up the ice and I haven't noticed him being a particularly good passer either.  He's very quick-footed and well-balanced on his skates, and reasonably fast, but not especially fast.

So I think his ability to be a good top-4 defenseman will come down to his decision-making and passing under pressure.  If he's able, on a very high percentage of plays in the defensive zone, to use his quickness to get to the puck first and make the correct decision on where to put it in order to best get out of the zone and start the offense going and put the pass in the right spot, then he can be a quality defenseman.  But if he can't execute that part of the game on a pretty high level, I don't think he has enough in the rest of his game to earn top-4 minutes.

interesting thoughts. I really do think he'll play top 4 minutes much of the season simply because he can. What he does really well is he skates with the puck. He can move out of tight spaces quickly. I really think he'll be getting 22 min.

He'll take a ton of pressure off of his defensive partners. If your his partner and you can just get it to Pysyk's stick, he'll clear the zone. 

To the first bold, he is a very smooth skater and I've seen him skate the puck up quite well if without panache (he lacks explosiveness, or those eye-grabbing great loping condor swoops of a Tyler Myers).  One of Murray's stated goals in keeping him Rochester was to get him out of his comfort zone — to take charge as a puck-carrier more often.

Thing is, he doesn't do it too much because he prefers a more efficient pass. I think, in the second bold, you are underrating him in this area. He gets the puck and moves it to the right place, quickly, better than any other defenceman on the roster. Only other guys we've had at his level in that area in the past 10 years are Ehrhoff and Teppo.

To the first bold, he is a very smooth skater and I've seen him skate the puck up quite well if without panache (he lacks explosiveness, or those eye-grabbing great loping condor swoops of a Tyler Myers).  One of Murray's stated goals in keeping him Rochester was to get him out of his comfort zone — to take charge as a puck-carrier more often.

Thing is, he doesn't do it too much because he prefers a more efficient pass. I think, in the second bold, you are underrating him in this area. He gets the puck and moves it to the right place, quickly, better than any other defenceman on the roster. Only other guys we've had at his level in that area in the past 10 years are Ehrhoff and Teppo.

I think one of the reasons Murray kept Pysyk in Rochester was that Nolan canned Teppo as an assistant coach. 

Pysyk wasn't going to find the game GMTM wanted him to play under Nolan, especially transitioning through the neutral zone. 

Ironically, Nolan really seemed to like Pysyk despite whatever it was Nolan was asking players to do. 

Teppo is actually the guy I was thinking of as a comparable/ceiling for Pysyk.  Obviously, if he gets there, that's a great outcome.  I just haven't seen enough crispness/accuracy on the passing to be comfortable that he'll excel in that area -- but to be fair the team has been such a CF in the last couple of years that no one has looked like a particularly good passer.

As for whether he'll play top-4 minutes -- certainly there's a slot for him to do so at present, although I kinda expect GMTM to bring in a top-4 defender, which would likely put Pysyk in the bottom pair (for this season, anyway).

Teppo is actually the guy I was thinking of as a comparable/ceiling for Pysyk.  Obviously, if he gets there, that's a great outcome.  I just haven't seen enough crispness/accuracy on the passing to be comfortable that he'll excel in that area -- but to be fair the team has been such a CF in the last couple of years that no one has looked like a particularly good passer.

As for whether he'll play top-4 minutes -- certainly there's a slot for him to do so at present, although I kinda expect GMTM to bring in a top-4 defender, which would likely put Pysyk in the bottom pair (for this season, anyway).

Teppo is actually who he I compared him to a couple of years back. I believe that Pysyk is valued higher then Bogo within the Sabres organization.

There's explosive defense and quiet defense.  Bogo, Campbell, guys like that, are explosive defensemen.  Their signatures are the big the big shot, the heavy check. 

Quiet defense is more based on decision making and positioning.  The kind of guy that stops a 2-on-1 at the offensive blue line by making sure the breakout pass doesn't get passed him, that doesn't have to block the shot because he's staking stride for stride with the shooter and he never gets the space to get a shot off.

Explosive defense is exciting an sells tickets, but if you don't have quiet defense you end up with crisis moments (odd-man rushes, bad penalties taken, etc.)  I like Pysyk's game.  Things seem to be quiet on his watch, which about the best thing you can say about a defenseman.

There's explosive defense and quiet defense.  Bogo, Campbell, guys like that, are explosive defensemen.  Their signatures are the big the big shot, the heavy check. 

Quiet defense is more based on decision making and positioning.  The kind of guy that stops a 2-on-1 at the offensive blue line by making sure the breakout pass doesn't get passed him, that doesn't have to block the shot because he's staking stride for stride with the shooter and he never gets the space to get a shot off.

Explosive defense is exciting an sells tickets, but if you don't have quiet defense you end up with crisis moments (odd-man rushes, bad penalties taken, etc.)  I like Pysyk's game.  Things seem to be quiet on his watch, which about the best thing you can say about a defenseman.

I agree with this assessment but I think his offensive numbers are going to surprise people. He is a great passer who has been passing to cement hands players. He will now be passing to elite level players are on a more regular basis. 

I agree with this.  My point is simply that Pysyk has to be good at the quiet defense game (because he doesn't have the noisy defensive game in his toolbox), and I haven't seen enough (and I respectfully don't think any of us has) to know whether this is the case.

I disagree with your thought that the crispness/accuracy of Pysyk's passing isn't an area he excels in.  He was the best passer on the team the season he spent up here.  I think that is absolutely his strongest point. And will only get better.  I don't know that it will lead to Teppo like numbers as Teppo was an incredible skater too.

I agree with this.  My point is simply that Pysyk has to be good at the quiet defense game (because he doesn't have the noisy defensive game in his toolbox)

...and Bogo has to be good at the explosive game because he does have the quiet game in his toolbox.

and that's okay.  You want the guy who makes the impact hit AND the guy who can clean up the aftermath.

Another way to consider it is this: What's Edmonton's biggest problem?  Too many elite scoring forwards.  You need them to have a good team, but you also need other kinds of pieces - setup ;men, grinders, etc.

I think the same can be said of the defensive side.  You can't have 6 of the best bangers in the league; you will fail.  You need defensive pairings where the two players together form a complete defense.

I know they are both right-handers, but I would consider matching Bogo and Pysyk next year. Complementary skill sets.

That's a thought that has grown out of watching Zadorov's early games.

I have been drooling over the concept of Nikita and Pysyk playing as veteran partners — the wick and the detonator.

Edited by dudacek

I think you are right, but I think he has shown that ability. he seems to know where he is going to send the puck before it hits his stick. I like how he moves it right away. I suppose he will make more than a few terrible blunders this season but that he will also develop more patience and we'll see a good NHL defenseman. And we need all we can get! He is not a big physical d-man for sure, but neither is Duncan Keith 

If Pysyk comes in and is above average this team gets a lot better. The defense really has no where to go but up, but if he is a steady Eddie back there and does his job well there will be a lot fewer long forechecks in our zone. He'll help tilt the ice back the other way. Another good d-man in free agency is what I'm looking for, though. :) put those two things together and with our added firepower up front, hopefully more good goaltending (hasn't been the problem lately anyway) and this is a playoff team.

Interesting - because GM TM traded for Bogo, but inherited Pysyk. As a rule, you know how that tends to go (my guys, his guys).

I truly believe Bogo was an ancillary piece to that trade. It was about Kane, but given what Winnipeg wanted, we had to acquire Bogo too in order to make our roster work (both near and long term). That's not to say Murray doesn't like him, but I don't think it was an "I gotta get him" situation. With Murray's talk about the importance of hockey sense and his like of puck moving defenseman, I don't find it hard to believe at all he may value Pysyk more.

I truly believe Bogo was an ancillary piece to that trade. It was about Kane, but given what Winnipeg wanted, we had to acquire Bogo too in order to make our roster work (both near and long term). That's not to say Murray doesn't like him, but I don't think it was an "I gotta get him" situation. With Murray's talk about the importance of hockey sense and his like of puck moving defenseman, I don't find it hard to believe at all he may value Pysyk more.

I think if Murray was going to move Myers, he was always going to get a minute-munching defender in return. To do otherwise was always going to leave too big a hole.

I have little doubt the rumour about Fowler being talked about in an Anaheim deal was also true and think that was always the hold-up in a Detroit trade because Detroit didn't have a defenceman who fit the profile.

I think if Murray was going to move Myers, he was always going to get a minute-munching defender in return. To do otherwise was always going to leave too big a hole.

I have little doubt the rumour about Fowler being talked about in an Anaheim deal was also true and think that was always the hold-up in a Detroit trade because Detroit didn't have a defenceman who fit the profile.

Absolutely. I think it was essentially "Hey Kevin, I'd really like to get Evander. Myers the centerpiece, you say? Okay, but I need someone to replace those minutes. Can we work something out involving Bogosian?"

• 1 month later...

I know they are both right-handers, but I would consider matching Bogo and Pysyk next year. Complementary skill sets.

That's a thought that has grown out of watching Zadorov's early games.

I have been drooling over the concept of Nikita and Pysyk playing as veteran partners — the wick and the detonator.

Pysyk made the comment that he spent last year playing on the left side. Your Bogo/Pysyk matchup may have been foreseen by GMTM this time last year.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.