Making SabreSpace more friendly to new posters

nfreeman

I'm actually kind of bothered by all the people saying they don't want to post because they aren't as knowledgeable as others.  Post!  You'll quickly find out that there is much more discussion out there to be had and that many are at a very similar level as you are.  A little extra discussion never hurt anyone.

I'm actually kind of bothered by all the people saying they don't want to post because they aren't as knowledgeable as others.  Post!  You'll quickly find out that there is much more discussion out there to be had and that many are at a very similar level as you are.  A little extra discussion never hurt anyone.

This.  We're all spouting opinions and none of us really know what the hell we're talking about.

No offense to the board regulars, but I don't necessarily like to see the same 5 or 6 posters dominate every discussion.  Most boards benefit from a variety of different opinions.  Post away, everyone.

There is a lot of good psychology research regarding a similar theme.

The more detailed you are in your explanation of an event, regardless of accuracy, the more likely an observer will believe you. I could write stuff like, "Watch Ennis's bottom hand and the way he rotates it. Because he has a slight under rotation of the wrist, many of his shots are misplaced high and to right. This can be fixed by the coaches, but muscle memory is hard to overcome, so he will need to put in at least 500 hours of work before he learns proper hand placement."

And I could get a lot of people to believe me and start to consider me an astute observer of the game.

haha oh hello!

I've never been much of a poster anywhere, honestly. Too nervous. I'll argue d4rk's head off in person, but that's about it.

I'm just not a good arguer. The threads are mostly people arguing their side, as they should be. Often, the point I was going to make has already been made and is being argued. Or someone makes the point and gets lambasted for not going back pages and pages in history and realizing the topic has already been covered. More experienced posters seem to have immunity to that. Just reword it a bit, presto changeo, same argument all over again. So, I just kinda keep my mouth shut. I've never handled being bad at things too well- posting here counts, as silly as that is! 

So I lurk. Or get offended at sexist comments if they appear. Sorry. You'd think after years of unwarranted rape and death threats from anonymous people on other social media sites (never here) I'd just let it all go, right? Sucks to be a lady on the internet sometimes. Hell, I get nervous even typing this.

I enjoy the game. I love talking the game with anyone who'll listen. I just don't have that extra level of depth and analysis that seems so important here. 

Come on, hit the damn post button, you can do it, it's just the internet... 

The more detailed you are in your explanation of an event, regardless of accuracy, the more likely an observer will believe you. I could write stuff like, "Watch Ennis's bottom hand and the way he rotates it. Because he has a slight under rotation of the wrist, many of his shots are misplaced high and to right. This can be fixed by the coaches, but muscle memory is hard to overcome, so he will need to put in at least 500 hours of work before he learns proper hand placement."

And I could get a lot of people to believe me and start to consider me an astute observer of the game.

And we definitely have a poster or two who do exactly this.  If you beat the same subject into the ground over and over, some do eventually think it is fact.  I actually have my own little nickname for this practice based on a poster here.

Right on. 

Also:  even if you don't feel like posting a hockey point (maybe because it's already been made by someone else) -- there are plenty of non-hockey threads (food, booze, cigars, TV, movies, Bills, etc.) that your input is welcome in.

Is X. really a 23 year old living in the Dominican?

I like to consider my posting style for lack of a better term "hit and run".  I've never been one to get into long prolonged debates/arguments about anything hockey related.  Instead make my point, maybe one follow-up, and then move on.  Not saying that point can't  be repeated several times a year.  Just not posting over and over again on the same subject for days on end.

That being said, I'm sure over the past years that I occasionally get sucked into the vortex.

Edited by LabattBlue

Okay.. jumping in.

1. I pretty much never look at anyone's post count.  It's information I don't need.

2. I pretty much never look at anyone's name.. they keep changing them.

3. I usually recognize the poster by the avatar or when I read their name in a quoted response somewhere else, or by their writing style.

I use the same criteria I do anywhere else.

1. If you state a well formed opinion based with logical reasoning, you are in.

2. If you ask a question with the hopes of learning more, you are in.

3. If you make a statement as though it's been blessed by your chosen diety, you are out.

4. If you continually attempt to sidestep profanity filters, throw insults, and try to be snarky and fail, you are out.

Most of the time I am sure I won't respond to posts of no value.  There's little chance of it being worth the energy expenditure. There are exceptions though. 

Now, onto the good stuff.

This place is great. It's highly addictive and even when I don't want to visit, I have to visit. So I blame all of you for that.

It also helps that I love hockey, even if I won't always make time to watch it.

Now, be good, do good.

Is X. really a 23 year old living in the Dominican?

22. Punta Cana. Never seen a snowstorm in my life.

SS should be a safe place to post stuff but there are always these lurkers whose lives are so empty, just waiting to pounce on anything they think is out there. Some of these trolls have posted more than 10,000 times. I can't stand these people. I've blocked a couple at least. There are posters who say "that's the stupidest thing I ever heard" or "you're an idiot" or things like that on a regular basis. Their account should be reviewed for things like that and if they surpass a certain threshold insulting people, they should be kicked off. A few people make this a board a shaky experience at best.

People have to learn to disagree with respect. 

I thinks it ok to call a spade a spade. It it's stupid, it's stupid and should called out.

See below.

That's a load of crap.

:P

And we definitely have a poster or two who do exactly this.  If you beat the same subject into the ground over and over, some do eventually think it is fact.  I actually have my own little nickname for this practice based on a poster here.

No one believes me, so I know it's not me, although I'd be flattered.

I think SDS' point is about the effectiveness of specificity and not repetition. Wow, that makes me sound smart huh?

Any of these will work...

post-1415-0-46601100-1433439541_thumb.png

I have never understood the whole "blocking a poster" thing. What the heck could anyone say on a message board that would offend me so much that I have to protect myself from it?

I don't think I have anyone blocked on here, but I've done it on boards in the past. Some people just say things in such a way that I get irrationally angry about it, even if I know its stupid and not worth my time. So I block them, and that's one less stresser in my life.

22. Punta Cana. Never seen a snowstorm in my life.

I wasn't implying you or anyone else. I was actually referring to some books I have been reading lately that deal with human psychology, intuition, statistics, etc...

The posters that come to mind are more on the football side.

I wasn't implying you or anyone else. I was actually referring to some books I have been reading lately that deal with human psychology, intuition, statistics, etc...

The posters that come to mind are more on the football side.

I don't think anyone feels you were implying him. I just find X. to be the most versed in actual hockey technicals.

If new posters want a guide....the Godfathers of this board are, X. Benedict for hockey systems and breakdown......Taro T. for a mix of hockey knowledge and real life experience.....and PA Sabrefan for combining knowledge with keen observation and humor. There are dozens who come close, but these are the ones who are to always take into account.

I think this thread is working. There are more users than guests online now, and the past 2 days the ratio is close. Usually guests outnumber users around 2 to 2.5 to 1 on an average day. (If you think that I am stating this as a fact to be believed, check your administrative software).

I know. Just having fun with GoDD. 

You also tried to circumvent the profanity filter with your location.....

My first 2000 posts probably consisted of ~100 hockey posts.  I was a bit afraid of my lack of knowledge and deleted already written posts, but it's just not worth it.  This is a safe place to say dumb things.  We'll still love (or despise) you either way.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.