2015 NHL Free Agency

Hoss

The only right wingers better than Tarasenko right now are Kane, Ovechkin and Perry. I would love to land him. I would be willing to make a big play for him, but I don't think they will (which is fine). He just put up 37-36 in 76 games as a 23 year old. Awesome player.

Other players I'm pretty much only interested in going up to $3.6M. I don't know if there's even any players we could pry away at that number, but I would like to find out. I don't think you're getting Saad at that number. Maybe Silfverberg. Most likely Martin Jones. If we feel like getting local kid Shane Prince, a GMTM player, it probably wouldn't take much.

Edited by Hoss

I could also see Tim Murray doing the opposite of offer sheeting... He may view this offseason as a chance to nearly stand pat aside from a two or three moves while he gets a better look at what we already have.

If that's the case then he might want to try and build a good relationship with GMs around the league. Instead of forcing them to pay more than they want to for their own he may call up Chicago and help them get rid of a Bryan Bickell. There's rumors floating that Dustin Brown may be moved and that could be a possibility (although most will realize how much they don't want him when they realize he's 30 and has 7 years left near $6M). Pick up a quality vet or two that has been with a winning organization while building a positive relationship with those teams. Not burning any bridges. The scorched earth policy may have left a bad taste in the minds of some... Could repair that.

Names to watch on that front:

Bryan Bickell (LW - CHI) 2 years, $8M left

Kris Versteeg (LW - CHI) 1 year, $2.2M left

RJ Umberger (C/LW - PHI) 2 years, $9M left

Vinny Lecavalier (C/LW - PHI) 3 years, $13.5M left

Matt Read (RW - PHI) 3 years, $10.9M left

Chris Kelly (C/RW - BOS) 1 year, $3M left

Dustin Brown (RW - LA) 7 years, $41M left

Mike Richards (C/RW - LA) 5 years, $28.75M left

Chris Kunitz (LW - PIT) 2 years, $7.7M

Pascal Dupuis (RW - PIT) 2 years, $7.5M

One name that's young and might be an option is Andrew Shaw. He's an RFA next year. They will have to let go at least one guy they don't want to, and he might be a candidate. Man that would be a dream.

Edited by Hoss

I'll just come out and say it right now like I do every year.  They won't be signing anyone to any offer sheets.  Maybe someday someone changes it, but it's just not the least bit common at all in this league.  So until that change actually happens, I continue to expect the league to operate as normal.

I'll just come out and say it right now like I do every year. They won't be signing anyone to any offer sheets. Maybe someday someone changes it, but it's just not the least bit common at all in this league. So until that change actually happens, I continue to expect the league to operate as normal.

There have been 8 since 2006. Almost one per year. Decent chance, with this class, there's at least one.

I'll just come out and say it right now like I do every year.  They won't be signing anyone to any offer sheets.  Maybe someday someone changes it, but it's just not the least bit common at all in this league.  So until that change actually happens, I continue to expect the league to operate as normal.

Probably not, but could you imagine how good they'd be w/ a 1st line of Kane - Eichel - Tarasenko? That gives Moulson - (pick a young C) - Ennis a truckload of room.

(I'd be good w/ Saad or Silfverberg as well. ;))

Add Reggie, a goalie, & possibly Ehrhoff and I'd be willing to risk the Matthews lotto ticket. The extra bonus is, they'd only be giving up draft picks and $'s to make those moves. Everybody else is still around if some other top line talent turns up available. And 2016-'17 couldn't get here fast enough. 2015-'16 to grow & gel and then have it come together the next year.

They are at a point now where any trades they make have to be for young top line talent. This could, for the 1st time since '11, be a squad that is truly fun to watch.

Go big or go home. :)

(And my guess is still that they bring in a couple of D & a goalie, but can't get the RW they want this off-season.)

I think offer sheets would be far more common if the compensation was lower. I know everyone likes to joke about the old boys club and an unwritten rule or whatever, but I think the real reason they're rare is the compensation.

If the compensation was lower teams would be further inclined to match them knowing they're not getting much in return. I do think they should lower the compensation, though.

Edited by Hoss

There have been 8 since 2006. Almost one per year. Decent chance, with this class, there's at least one.

5 of those were in the first 3 years, so that one per year stat is skewed.  Of those remaining 3, they're different scenarios:

-Ryan O'Reilly in 2013: A unique case that will be tough to duplicate, with O'Reilly holding out

-Shea Weber in 2012: Another unique case where a truly unique player became available, teams typically lock these guys up in advance

-Nik Hjalmarsson in 2010: NNow this is the case that most could make an argument for right now, an attempt at poaching a guy from a cap strapped team.  Still, we've seen plenty of teams believed to be in cap trouble in recent years and there still doesn't wind up being an offer sheet.  Like I said, I'll believe it when I see it, the league is going to stick to its typical behavior come July.

If these cap numbers are correct Chicago will be at 64million next year before signing any of their players on expiring deals.  Can anyone verify that? (I miss capgeek because I don't trust these other sources as well).  

64million with a 71million cap and the need to sign at least 2-3 defenders and by my count 4 forwards, I would think Brandon Saad really is a great target for an offer sheet.  Although maybe you might want to approach Chicago differently.  Say you will give them x, y, z for Saad if he signs with you (I know he is an RFA but I mean he signs your deal not an offer sheet after you trade for him)

If these cap numbers are correct Chicago will be at 64million next year before signing any of their players on expiring deals. Can anyone verify that? (I miss capgeek because I don't trust these other sources as well).

64million with a 71million cap and the need to sign at least 2-3 defenders and by my count 4 forwards, I would think Brandon Saad really is a great target for an offer sheet. Although maybe you might want to approach Chicago differently. Say you will give them x, y, z for Saad if he signs with you (I know he is an RFA but I mean he signs your deal not an offer sheet after you trade for him)

I'm with Shrader on this, I don't see any of this happening. Saad is a nice player but not $9 mill nice, maybe 5-6 mill. What's the compensation on that? I think the Blackhawks match whatever you throw at them and move other contracts to compensate.

Edit: compensation would be a 1st and a 3rd. There is a very good chance this is a bottom five team next season. Do you want to risk a top 5 pick for Saad? Maybe... It's worth thinking about I guess.

I think Sharp and Bickell are the targets that are feasible and could be had for pennies on the dollar given their cap situation.

Edited by inkman

I'm with Shrader on this, I don't see any of this happening. Saad is a nice player but not $9 mill nice, maybe 5-6 mill. What's the compensation on that? I think the Blackhawks match whatever you throw at them and move other contracts to compensate.

Edit: compensation would be a 1st and a 3rd. There is a very good chance this is a bottom five team next season. Do you want to risk a top 5 pick for Saad? Maybe... It's worth thinking about I guess.

I think Sharp and Bickell are the targets that are feasible and could be had for pennies on the dollar given their cap situation.

Sharp has a NMC but I was not saying pay Saad 9mil.  5-6million would be unmatchable for Chicago without moving out someone else. 

Just something to keep in mind. I also do not think Murray will do it.

If anything, wouldn't we be looking for defensemen in free agency? Why add another forward when we need to make room for the young players we have on the roster now

i think it's the opposite. We need one vet rhd, then call Pysk up. We have a ton of room for our forwards, the bottom two lines last year were almost entirely expendable/just bodies

i think it's the opposite. We need one vet rhd, then call Pysk up. We have a ton of room for our forwards, the bottom two lines last year were almost entirely expendable/just bodies

We need a LHD. On the right we've got aristo, Bogosian and Pysyk. On the left we've got Gorges, Zadorov and Weber. We COULD roll with that as a top six if we're not interested in much progress, but if we add it should be on the left. Gorges is a question mark after his injury, Zadorov is inconsistent still and Weber probably shouldn't be getting consistent minutes in your top six.

McCabe is left handed so he could be in the mix there, but another reliable vet for one or two years would be nice.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.