2015 NHL Free Agency

Hoss

Blues still haven't signed Tarasenko but will 100 percent match any offer sheet for him from another team.

I don't get it. Why allow another team to set the terms ? If he gets a HUGE offer that you've told everyone you intend to match you're allowing another team to dictate terms which should be arrived at inhouse and possibly lower. 

If the Blues were afraid of him not signing their offer and going to arbitration - where the result would likely be moderately-priced but SHORT term deal that would yield no compensation when completed - then the better path is to let another team determine the market rate, which then gives the Blues the power to commit to or walk away from Tarasenko, with the option of collecting compensation if they walk.

The down side for the Blues is that the financial component of a deal (salary, term, cap hit) is out of their hands, but the power of committing to a likely long term deal or collecting compensation is reserved.  And if Tarasenko's agent is any good, he's pushing Tarasenko to collect offer sheets anyways, and the financial negotiation was never in the Blues hands to begin with.

Edited by IKnowPhysics

So is your plan to offer sheet Tarasenko, then trade him to get the picks back in three years?

Can only have so many core guys and you have to anticipate big raises coming to Kane, Eichel, Reinhart, Zemgus and Risto.

If the Blues were afraid of him not signing their offer and going to arbitration - where the result would likely be moderately-priced but SHORT term deal that would yield no compensation when completed - then the better path is to let another team determine the market rate, which then gives the Blues the power to commit to or walk away from Tarasenko, with the option of collecting compensation if they walk.

The down side for the Blues is that the financial component of a deal (salary, term, cap hit) is out of their hands, but the power of committing to a likely long term deal or collecting compensation is reserved.  And if Tarasenko's agent is any good, he's pushing Tarasenko to collect offer sheets anyways, and the financial negotiation was never in the Blues hands to begin with.

That answered my question. Thanks

So is your plan to offer sheet Tarasenko, then trade him to get the picks back in three years?

Can only have so many core guys and you have to anticipate big raises coming to Kane, Eichel, Reinhart, Zemgus and Risto.

True, but if there's one thing we've learned in the salary cap era, it is when you're talking about top-level talent, you can't fear the cap.  I'd make the acquisition and make the hard choices later... which may or may not actually be hard, depending on player development and salary cap increases.  If we have a shot at acquiring top-level talent, we should seriously consider it, and while doing so, keep in mind that we're better prepared to be aggressive than most other teams because of our cap situation.

Sure, Boston, Philly, and Calgary put themselves in cap hell at one time or another, but Chicago, Pittsburgh, and others have managed quite expertly.

True, but if there's one thing we've learned in the salary cap era, it is when you're talking about top-level talent, you can't fear the cap. I'd make the acquisition and make the hard choices later... which may or may not actually be hard, depending on player development and salary cap increases. If we have a shot at acquiring top-level talent, we should seriously consider it, and while doing so, keep in mind that we're better prepared to be aggressive than most other teams because of our cap situation.

Sure, Boston, Philly, and Calgary put themselves in cap hell at one time or another, but Chicago, Pittsburgh, and others have managed quite expertly.

Mostly true, but you can concentrate that money too heavily in stars at one position. If we gave Tarasenko a massive offer and he took it, I have no idea how we afford a defense corps three years from now.

I don't get it. Why allow another team to set the terms ? If he gets a HUGE offer that you've told everyone you intend to match you're allowing another team to dictate terms which should be arrived at inhouse and possibly lower. 

STL could be thinking that the most anyone would offer-sheet him for is $9.1MM x 5 years (since $9.1MM is, IIRC, the highest a team can go before getting to the 4 first-rounders threshold, and 5 years is the longest term a team can go in determining the average cap hit) -- and STL would prefer to match that offer sheet and keep VT for that cash and term relative to whatever VT's agent is asking for (which could be $10MM+ x 8 years).

I'd offer-sheet him at $9.1MM x 5 years and worry about the other guys later.  Inevitably someone will wash out, get hurt, want a trade or have some other outcome that will result in that guy not getting a big contract from the Sabres.

Mostly true, but you can concentrate that money too heavily in stars at one position. If we gave Tarasenko a massive offer and he took it, I have no idea how we afford a defense corps three years from now.

The league salary cap balloons to $150M and the 8 year, $7.300M AAV deal for Tarasenko will look like a steal.   :beer:

STL could be thinking that the most anyone would offer-sheet him for is $9.1MM x 5 years (since $9.1MM is, IIRC, the highest a team can go before getting to the 4 first-rounders threshold, and 5 years is the longest term a team can go in determining the average cap hit) -- and STL would prefer to match that offer sheet and keep VT for that cash and term relative to whatever VT's agent is asking for (which could be $10MM+ x 8 years).

I'd offer-sheet him at $9.1MM x 5 years and worry about the other guys later.  Inevitably someone will wash out, get hurt, want a trade or have some other outcome that will result in that guy not getting a big contract from the Sabres.

Got it. Thanks 

Right there with you, and for not trading away 4 1sts in the process

Yeah, I don't want to move four firsts for anyone.  But I'd move a 1st, 2nd, and 3rd pretty handily, even recognizing the risk in moving a decent Mathews lottery ticket.  However, if we acquire the good chess pieces, that lottery chance could be small, reducing the risk.

Yeah, I don't want to move four firsts for anyone. But I'd move a 1st, 2nd, and 3rd pretty handily, even recognizing the risk in moving a decent Mathews lottery ticket. However, if we acquire the good chess pieces, that lottery chance could be small, reducing the risk.

Our 2016 1st is entirely in play for me, Matthews or not. I don't believe we'll be a bottom 5 or even bottom 10 team and the minute percentage of wining the lottery after that isn't a concernIMO. Other than that, I'm with Liger and others about his price

Nice info. Great opinion and shows why they are willing to let him get an offer sheet. It might cost them less than the agent is requesting. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.