2015 NHL Free Agency

Hoss

See that's what I'm not getting.  I'm hearing you say that it's 8mm for one year, divided  by 5, so the compesation would be reasonable.

Nope. It's AAV or total divided by 5, whichever is HIGHER. AAV on a one-year $8M deal is $8M. That's higher.

I'm not really interested in any of them (maybe a goalie, but just to fill the spot.)

This team is going to be a lot different his coming year already with no other major moves, I'm more than willing (and happy) to see what the current changes bring...then make moves after evaluating that.

I like this idea, I had no idea SJ did this; for whom did they do it for?

They can't afford Hossa, Sharp, and paying Saad. Someone will be dumped, and it will likely be Sharp/Hossa

Chicago can't risk getting rid of Hossa for the same reason we couldn't trade away Ehrhoff. If he retires after getting traded his cap hit would be way worse than if he retired as a member of the Blackhawks. Chicago has too many good players they have to pay to be able to waste cap space like that so I don't think there's any chance they risk something like that.

I feel that way also. Hossa carries way too much risk for a team to be interested in him. It will be interesting though seeing how it plays out for him over the years coming. Big bucks and long term on old guy.

I feel that way also. Hossa carries way too much risk for a team to be interested in him. It will be interesting though seeing how it plays out for him over the years coming. Big bucks and long term on old guy.

Hossa carries little risk for any team that wants to trade for him because Chicago would be the one on the hook for his cap evasion penalty since they were the ones to sign him to his current contract and they reaped the benefits of his cap hit being lower than his actual salary. If we traded for him now and he retired in say 2 or 3 years it wouldn't really hurt us at all and it would cripple them which is why they can't trade him and why we couldn't trade Ehrhoff.

You really think GMTM will tender an RFA?  He seems to me to be too much in the "NHL GM Boys Club" to piss off a fellow GM.  That would really put GMTM in the ZFG category. 

You really think GMTM will tender an RFA?  He seems to me to be too much in the "NHL GM Boys Club" to piss off a fellow GM.  That would really put GMTM in the ZFG category. 

I wish this wasn't a thing. Restricted free agents should be fair game as long as you're willing to pay the price and picks to get it done. If I'm Murray I'm offering one or two guys at the second-round tender (guys like Silfverberg and Martin Jones and Craig Smith).

I wish this wasn't a thing. Restricted free agents should be fair game as long as you're willing to pay the price and picks to get it done. If I'm Murray I'm offering one or two guys at the second-round tender (guys like Silfverberg and Martin Jones and Craig Smith).

Agree.  The salary cap is there for a reason.  Not using it to your advantage is incompetence.  Other GM's shouldnt be pissed.  They only have themselves to blame.  Oh, maybe that's why they're pissed.

Edited by Tondas

I'm not really interested in any of them (maybe a goalie, but just to fill the spot.)

This team is going to be a lot different his coming year already with no other major moves, I'm more than willing (and happy) to see what the current changes bring...then make moves after evaluating that.

This is where I am at with the whole thing. I want to see what this team can do, now that dfl is not the mission statement. Then make the necessary trades when DB has a better understanding of who is part of the plan going forward. This year is about learning the new system and building chemistry. If we truly want a contender for the next ten years. We have to be patient and build these players properly. Then you add veterans to complement our core. Just get me a goalie.

RFAs I would be interested in and what I would offer:

Offer together:

Tyler Toffoli (RW - LAK) - 5 years, $23M (first and third)

Martin Jones (G - LA) - 3 years, $2M (second)

This likely forces LA to choose one or the other. They probably choose Toffoli.

Jakob Silfverberg (RW - ANA) - 4 years, $14M (second)

Brandon Saad (RW - CHI) - 5 years, $25M (first and third)

Dougie Hamilton (D - BOS) - 6 years, $36M (two firsts, second and third)

Gustav Nyquist (RW - DET) - 4 years, $20M (first and third)

Vlad Tarasenko (RW - STL) - 2 years, $20M (four first) - I don't know why but go crazy. Don't think I would actually do this, but it might take something like this.

Mikkel Boedker (RW - ARZ) - 3 years, $9.5M (second)

Craig Smith (RW - NSH) - 3 years, $9.5M (second)

Alex Galchenyuk (C - MTL) - 3 years, $11M (second) make them prove they do value him in some way

Shane Prince (LW - OTT) - 2 years, $2.2M (no compensation)

Those including first-round compensation I would likely only do if Murray makes other big moves in free agency/trades before the RFA action picks up.

It'd be great if Buffalo went for Tofolli, but LA will probably try to keep him. Saad is the next guy I'd want the Sabres to go after. Just trying to think realistically. LA and Chicago are rather tight against the cap. Boston is also close to the cap, so Hamilton would be a great addition, but Buffalo would have to give up too many quality draft picks. However, if the Sabres acquired Hamilton I wouldn't mind it at all if the 21st pick, Grigs and Zadorov were sent to Colorado for ROR. Just my thoughts. Out of the three mentioned Saad seems to be the most likely to happen. Let me stress this is my "fantasy hockey" opinion. 

Edited by GoPre

RFAs I would be interested in and what I would offer:

Offer together:

Tyler Toffoli (RW - LAK) - 5 years, $23M (first and third)

Martin Jones (G - LA) - 3 years, $2M (second)

This likely forces LA to choose one or the other. They probably choose Toffoli.

Jakob Silfverberg (RW - ANA) - 4 years, $14M (second)

Brandon Saad (RW - CHI) - 5 years, $25M (first and third)

Dougie Hamilton (D - BOS) - 6 years, $36M (two firsts, second and third)

Gustav Nyquist (RW - DET) - 4 years, $20M (first and third)

Vlad Tarasenko (RW - STL) - 2 years, $20M (four first) - I don't know why but go crazy. Don't think I would actually do this, but it might take something like this.

Mikkel Boedker (RW - ARZ) - 3 years, $9.5M (second)

Craig Smith (RW - NSH) - 3 years, $9.5M (second)

Alex Galchenyuk (C - MTL) - 3 years, $11M (second) make them prove they do value him in some way

Shane Prince (LW - OTT) - 2 years, $2.2M (no compensation)

Those including first-round compensation I would likely only do if Murray makes other big moves in free agency/trades before the RFA action picks up.

Before we go the offer sheet route I hope they have trade discussions. The rate on a goalie last year was a third so if there is any way we can trade a third for Jones or Talbot I would do it. Both LA and Rangers have cap issues and some FA/RFAs they need to lock up.

Also, I think Chicago will be very proactive to get rid of either Sharp or Bickell and maybe even both so they don't lose Saad this year. I'd take either or both for the right package.

I think going the trade route can be a win win scenario and build relationships with other GMS while the offer sheet would do the opposite.

Ok Hoss, I'm not understanding.  What keeps the Sabres from offering Nyqvist or Toffoli 8m for one year? Tarasenko 10m for one year?  Minimum length of an offer sheet? Good sportsmanship?

doubtful players would sign a 1 year contract. Just because you offer a player a contract doesn't mean he'll sign it

Edited by nucci

Hossa carries little risk for any team that wants to trade for him because Chicago would be the one on the hook for his cap evasion penalty since they were the ones to sign him to his current contract and they reaped the benefits of his cap hit being lower than his actual salary. If we traded for him now and he retired in say 2 or 3 years it

wouldn't really hurt us at all and it would cripple them which is why they can't trade him and why we couldn't trade Ehrhoff.

Thanks for clarifying my point.

doubtful players would sign a 1 year contract. Just because you offer a player a contract doesn't mean he'll sign it

No, I wasn't understanding the division by 5 year clause.  Hoss answered the question.  It's in place so you can't offer a player a long contract so you can avoid paying with draft picks.

New RFA thresholds posted by Paul Hamilton just now:

CGbgJqVUAAA12hv.jpg

So:  if the Sabres were to offer Tarasenko $9.1MM x 6 years -- would STL match?

(Probably, but I'd love to see it happen.)

STL's biggest contract right now is Pietrangelo getting $45MM ($6.5MM x 7 years), followed by Stastny getting $28MM ($7MM x 4 years).

You wouldn't trade it for Tarasenko?

I don't want to pay a winger $9 million in addition to significant asset forfeiture.

I, like Hoss, also don't think the Blues are especially vulnerable to an offer sheet. LA and Toffoli should be the target because it might work.

And I'm still not paying a winger $9 million.

I don't want to pay a winger $9 million in addition to significant asset forfeiture.

I, like Hoss, also don't think the Blues are especially vulnerable to an offer sheet. LA and Toffoli should be the target because it might work.

And I'm still not paying a winger $9 million.

And just imagine what we may have to pay out in three years when both Eichel and Reinhart are up for new contracts.  I'm sure we will get them done before they become RFAs, but man it could get ugly fast if they don't.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.