Pleased to meet me, per the 'Mats

DeleteThisAccount

It's go time, baby. It's go time. 

(That's the Seinfeld guy, right? He'd make an excellent avatar for you PA)

I miss Lloyd Bridges.  I can't think of any role where he wasn't great.

Anyway, welcome aboard for more full time duty JW.  I hope the typical anti-media mentality that tends to drive most boards doesn't drive you away.  There's so much that we as a community can gain from having some of the writers as posters, but it almost always falls apart. 

Glad to have you around when you're able, John. 

Looking forward to reporting on the women's world cup.

to know and not report because of partnership rules certainly dents reputation.

WGR is what it is, and those guys are what they are. They have a bit of a hybrid role when it comes to reporting, promoting.

WGR is what it is, and those guys are what they are. They have a bit of a hybrid role when it comes to reporting, promoting.

And overall I don't think they've seemed to penned in by becoming the "official" station of both teams. They seem to be just as critical as they were before (outside of the two team owned shows, of course). 

Welcome JW.  We're glad to have you. 

I will note that from time to time you might be asked some questions that are obnoxiously phrased or that would result in you breaching your ethical responsibilities if you were to answer them.  Please don't be put off if this happens -- it's inevitable on a message board.  The mods will try to keep it under control.

Here's my first question for ya:  any thoughts on players the Sabres will target this summer?

as just noted on a certain social media site, a certain local radio -- and sabres -- flagship station finds itself in a very tough spot with its relationship with the team. how wgr is citing "reports" of a deal being "close," and has done very little of it's own reporting overnight on this is a bad look and sound. to know and not report because of partnership rules certainly dents reputation.

jw

Are you saying that the Sabres do have their media proxies?

I will note that from time to time you might be asked some questions that are obnoxiously phrased or that would result in you breaching your ethical responsibilities if you were to answer them.  Please don't be put off if this happens -- it's inevitable on a message board.  The mods will try to keep it under control.

Here's my first question for ya:  any thoughts on players the Sabres will target this summer?

n,

You did know that he spends a fair bit of off-duty time on SDS' s other boards, right? :lol:

Interesting.

And not to get in the middle of a lovers spat, but this is exactly the kind of thing that Ghost has been warning against for a while now, all while getting ridiculed by others for needing a sturdier tinfoil hat. Just sayin'.

But he does need a sturdier tinfoil hat.

Welcome JW!  I totally forgot about the Women's World Cup coming up.  I'm super excited.

I hope Canada has another good showing so we can get a USA-Canada soccer rivalry going.  Their match in the 2012 Olympics was a good start.

I am bummed that none of the WWC games went to TOR - a scheduling snafu with the Pan Am Games, or something. I am very much looking forward to the upcoming games. 

Hi John,

At first I was a little jealous of your ability to start a thread under no greater pretense than that you were going to start posting more.  Now, I've thought about it, and saw you on TV at the conference, up-close and personal with the action, and I've decided that I am glad you are here.  I hope that you are here to stay.  Here's what I would humbly advise - that you change your username to something incognito so that you can post unfettered by the ethical considerations that plague modern-day accredited journalists.  The way this board works, members would still know you as John Wawrow and would give your contributions the measure they are due, but lurkers would be in the dark as to your true identity.  That would give you the measure of freedom, and lack of accountability that the rest of us enjoy. To members who might violate your right to privacy, they would be subject to the repercussions (shunnings and bans) that creeps deserve.  Plus, you could always hide behind the curtain of implied authorship that a fake username, not your given name, would grant you.  For example, you could say that you lent out your account to a woman friend, and, like magic, whatever crazy she said or did, could never be attributed to you.  It's untraceable. Should you decide to take my advice, you have my word that this post will be deleted, but that my solemn respect for the perspective that you contribute will be even greater.  Plus, you'd save time not having to sign your initials.   ;)  

Hi John,

At first I was a little jealous of your ability to start a thread under no greater pretense than that you were going to start posting more. Now, I've thought about it, and saw you on TV at the conference, up-close and personal with the action, and I've decided that I am glad you are here. I hope that you are here to stay. Here's what I would humbly advise - that you change your username to something incognito so that you can post unfettered by the ethical considerations that plague modern-day accredited journalists. The way this board works, members would still know you as John Wawrow and would give your contributions the measure they are due, but lurkers would be in the dark as to your true identity. That would give you the measure of freedom, and lack of accountability that the rest of us enjoy. To members who might violate your right to privacy, they would be subject to the repercussions (shunnings and bans) that creeps deserve. Plus, you could always hide behind the curtain of implied authorship that a fake username, not your given name, would grant you. For example, you could say that you lent out your account to a woman friend, and, like magic, whatever crazy ###### she said or did, could never be attributed to you. It's untraceable. Should you decide to take my advice, you have my word that this post will be deleted, but that my solemn respect for the perspective that you contribute will be even greater. Plus, you'd save time not having to sign your initials. ;)

I disagree. He should not have to hide.

I disagree. He should not have to hide.

He wouldn't be hiding, 'cause we'd know it's him by checking the username history.  He could be more honest.  He was trying to make a statement that Mark Twain could have pulled off, but Samuel Clemens would have had to personally apologize for.  With a fake name, he could protect his professional/personal reputation, and not have to pull punches. 

He wouldn't be hiding, 'cause we'd know it's him by checking the username history. He could be more honest. He was trying to make a statement that Mark Twain could have pulled off, but Samuel Clemens would have had to personally apologize for. With a fake name, he could protect his professional/personal reputation, and not have to pull punches.

Sorry, Yuri, I still disagree.

I don't quite know who JW is, as I don't follow media as much as many posters on here. Yet, I feel he should be able to be JW with his own opinions and facts wherever he is, whether it is here, Twitter, Wegmans, etc.

I agree with you, that he shouldn't have to silence himself.  He caught some for what he said about WGR up-post, and the effect was him deleting twitter posts and falling silent here.  The repercussions for not saying exactly what the Sabres want you to say, is being frozen out of the news pipeline.  They're angling to create their own channel.

i'm confident Tim Murray has a game-plan, but one I'm not privy to, yet. that said, it was likely too early to come up with an exact list until the coach was hired. unlike Ted, the new coach will get some input on the roster.

i'd expect at leat one splash to happen.

the one thing i keep coming back to is what someone proposed on GR, regarding the Sabres targeting Oshie. i find that one intriguing, though there is nothing to say they will.

simply a guess.

jw

I am bummed that none of the WWC games went to TOR - a scheduling snafu with the Pan Am Games, or something. I am very much looking forward to the upcoming games. 

that's exactly what the conflict was. the rest of Canada got the Women's World Cup, from Moncton to Vancouver, while Toronto/Hamilton got the Pan-Am Games. Ottawa's not that far of a drive and really, neither's Montreal. i anticipate the U.S. to eventually head east for the knockout games, which is why I'll be moving west to Edmonton, because we'll have our soccer writer sticking with the U.S., while others fill in the blanks.

looking forward to it, but i've still got a combine, some Stanley Cup final blogging and a Bills mandatory minicamp to get through, let alone what LeSean McCoy might have to say about Chip Kelly on Wednesday.

Hi John,

At first I was a little jealous of your ability to start a thread under no greater pretense than that you were going to start posting more.  Now, I've thought about it, and saw you on TV at the conference, up-close and personal with the action, and I've decided that I am glad you are here.  I hope that you are here to stay.  Here's what I would humbly advise - that you change your username to something incognito so that you can post unfettered by the ethical considerations that plague modern-day accredited journalists.  The way this board works, members would still know you as John Wawrow and would give your contributions the measure they are due, but lurkers would be in the dark as to your true identity.  That would give you the measure of freedom, and lack of accountability that the rest of us enjoy. To members who might violate your right to privacy, they would be subject to the repercussions (shunnings and bans) that creeps deserve.  Plus, you could always hide behind the curtain of implied authorship that a fake username, not your given name, would grant you.  For example, you could say that you lent out your account to a woman friend, and, like magic, whatever crazy ###### she said or did, could never be attributed to you.  It's untraceable. Should you decide to take my advice, you have my word that this post will be deleted, but that my solemn respect for the perspective that you contribute will be even greater.  Plus, you'd save time not having to sign your initials.   ;)  

i'm good with me being me on this board. it's worked on the Bills one for good and a little ill, but nothing i can't handle.

and much like the Bills board, i won't be sharing any "insider" scoop stuff. and i wouldn't be comfortable doing that anonymously either, because why should i scoop myself?

my loyalty is to The AP and it's subscribers, after all, they're the ones who pay the bills.

all that said, got some free time right now to post and answer a few questions. but this is going to be a very irregular excercise. ... dangit, i can never spell that word right, ever.

jw

I agree with you, that he shouldn't have to silence himself.  He caught some ###### for what he said about WGR up-post, and the effect was him deleting twitter posts and falling silent here.  The repercussions for not saying exactly what the Sabres want you to say, is being frozen out of the news pipeline.  They're angling to create their own channel.

wait, never deleted any Twitter posts over that. none.

i merely apologized to Paul that my posts were not at all directed at him and in no way were meant to disrespect him. my point then -- and i know it wasn't entirely clear -- was it was my contention that 'GR was under-reporting the Bylsma news on its 20-20 updates, while hinting something was coming. whether that was the case, i'm not sure, but that was my contention rightly or wrongly.

it was never meant to throw Paul under any bus. he is a very respected colleague.

jw

Edited by john wawrow

looking forward to it, but i've still got a combine, some Stanley Cup final blogging and a Bills mandatory minicamp to get through, let alone what LeSean McCoy might have to say about Chip Kelly on Wednesday.

I'm looking forward to McCoy's thoughts on why Kelly hasn't signed any asians to play for the Eagles.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.