What would you do to increase offense?

nfreeman

We need some juice!  

59 members have voted

1. 1. What steps would you take to increase offense? (Choose as many as you like.)

• Call more interference and holding penalties as in 2005-'06
    • Reduce size of goalie pads
    • Enlarge the nets
    • Implement height/weight restrictions on goalies (e.g. goalies cannot exceed 6'0", 185 lbs)
    • Implement restrictions on shotblocking (e.g. penalize shotblocking unless the defender is fully prone on the ice)
    • Implement a "3-second rule" or similar measure to prevent clogging the slot
    • Other change -- please describe
    • No changes needed -- current state of the game is just fine

A number of us here, along with many knowledgeable hockey commentators, have been beating the drum for a while (especially this Spring) that the NHL needs to tweak its rules to increase offense in the same manner that the NFL and NBA do continually.

1981-'82 average goals per game:  8.025
1992-'93 average goals per game:  7.253
2003-'04 average goals per game:  5.136
2005-'06 average goals per game:  6.050
2014-'15 average goals per game:  5.324

Source:  http://www.quanthockey.com/TS/TS_GoalsPerGame.php

1981-'82 goalscoring leaders:  75 players with 30+, 22 with 40+, 10 with 50+, 3 with 60+ and the Great One with 92.

2005-'06 goalscoring leaders: 47 players with 30+, 11 with 40+ and 5 with 50+.

2014-'15 goalscoring leaders: 15 players with 30+, 3 with 40+ and 1 with 50+.

Houston, we have a problem.

I thought the post-2005 lockout rules changes were great -- interference virtually disappeared and the game became much faster almost overnight.  Since then, a decent amount of interference has returned, which has crimped offense, but IMHO this isn't the biggest change from the go-go '80s and early '90s.

I think the biggest changes are (i) the goalies are physically much bigger humans than they used to be, and their equipment is also much bigger -- so they quite simply occupy much more of the nets and there is less room to shoot at; (ii) everyone blocks shots now, so fewer shots that have a chance of going in, being deflected or producing fat rebounds get through to the goalies and (iii) the goalies and the defensemen are much better skaters and athletes than they used to be.

Top 5 goalies in 1981-'82 (based on GAA), with their heights:

1.            Denis Herron-MTL            2.64    5'11"
2.            Rick Wamsley-MTL          2.75    5'11"
3.            Billy Smith-NYI                2.97     5'10"
4.            Roland Melanson-NYI      3.23    5'10"
5.            Grant Fuhr-EDM             3.31     5'10"

Top 5 goalies in 2014-'15 (based on GAA):

1.            Carey Price-MTL               1.96     6'3"
2.            Devan Dubnyk-2TM           2.07    6'6"
3.            Pekka Rinne-NSH             2.18     6'5"
4.            Cam Talbot-NYR               2.21     6'3"
5.            Braden Holtby-WSH          2.22    6'2"

I used to hate the idea of enlarging the nets.  I still don't like it but I can see going along with it.

In any case, I think significant changes are needed.

If you were in charge of making the rules, what would you do?

I chose to just call interference like in 05-06. I don't like all of the shotblocking that goes on, but I think I would hate any rule to stop it even more. I think if the game speeds up again, there will be fewer defensemen in shooting lanes because the puck and players are moving quicker, and less predictably, so I think by opening up the flow the shotblocking will decrease naturally.

Enforce the rules is the 1st step. Some people think this will only artificially increase scoring because of the powerplays but the point really is to get the players to stop doing it so there can be more offense 5v5.

If goals are still down too far after that, look at other rule changes or equipment changes.

I think they should increase the net sizes slightly. A small tweak there should help compensate for the much larger goalies.

Actually calling interference and other obstruction penalties would be the biggest change that would help.

A few small tweaks: get rid of the trapezoid, defending player always put his stick down first in the face off dot, if the penalty shot taker does not score on the penalty shot the team still gets a PP.

Some ideas:

A power play is guaranteed to continue for 1 minute on a minor and 2 on a major. If they score in the first minute on a minor the power play continues. If they score in the second minute the power play ends. Same with the major. First two minutes and second two.

Offsides is nullified if the opposing team possessed the puck in the neutral zone.

Offsides is nullified if there is a defender in position in their defensive zone.

In addition to the goalie pads and penalties, I would like to see the size of the ice surface increased to international standards. This would open up more shot lanes and spread the defenses thinner, allowing more passing and skating.

Increasing ice size also gives defensemen a lot more space to clear the puck up the boards.

Play parts of the game at four on four. I always envisioned it being the last five minutes of each period, but that might be too drastic, to do it when the game is truly on the line. Is there data on when goal scoring drops off in a period? Is it when the ice gets worse? Go four on four then.

In addition to the goalie pads and penalties, I would like to see the size of the ice surface increased to international standards. This would open up more shot lanes and spread the defenses thinner, allowing more passing and skating.

The problem is that the bigger surface had no positive impact on offense during the most recent Olympics -- in fact it was just the opposite.  The defenses (at least for Canada and USA) were too good -- it was too hard for the offense to gain the offensive zone and create scoring chances.

I want more goals, and I want the old flow returned to the game.

Widen the nets.  No real reason to make them taller, just increase their width so goalies can't cover post to post any more. They can have their pads, but they now have more space to cover.

And do whatever is necessary to eliminate holding and interference.

I'd like to see some changes in how a team on the defensive can work the defense side blue line.  Most of the flow in games is lost trying to enter the attacking zone.  I don't really have a concept in mind, but I would think that any change that makes entry into an attacking zone at speed more likely will do wonders for the flow of the game.

I voted for increase size of nets, reduce pad size and implement three second rule. However,it has been my contention that the NHL has no desire to make changes because they believe that like "loser points," low scoring games create a false sense of parity which they believe plays a role in the growth of the game.

I hate new rules that say you can't now do something. What about focusing on the offense instead of the defenses?

How about a rule that says one offensive player can be offside when the puck crosses the blue line? Lots of rushes are stifled because of this. Maybe say they can be no deeper than the top of the circle.

Or maybe they are allowed to enter the zone once the puck crosses the red line.

I'm fine with it. Playoffs shouldn't be like an All Star game.

There's a large difference between 2-1 games and an all-star game.

I hate new rules that say you can't now do something. What about focusing on the offense instead of the defenses?

How about a rule that says one offensive player can be offside when the puck crosses the blue line? Lots of rushes are stifled because of this. Maybe say they can be no deeper than the top of the circle.

Or maybe they are allowed to enter the zone once the puck crosses the red line.

See my ideas... Mostly giving teams MORE options:

- Offsides legal either when the puck crosses the blue line and/or if the opposing team possesses the puck in the neutral zone.

- Larger nets

- No more trapezoid

- Defending player pits stick down first on all faceoffs

- Guaranteed half of power player regardless of whether or not you score. Or maybe a goal takes a minute off of a power play instead of nullifying it

- Faceoffs go to the offensive zone if an inadvertent whistle takes away a rush for the offensive team

- No more icing on the penalty kill

There's a large difference between 2-1 games and an all-star game.

See my ideas... Mostly giving teams MORE options:

- Offsides legal either when the puck crosses the blue line and/or if the opposing team possesses the puck in the neutral zone.

- Larger nets

- No more trapezoid

- Defending player pits stick down first on all faceoffs

- Guaranteed half of power player regardless of whether or not you score. Or maybe a goal takes a minute off of a power play instead of nullifying it

- Faceoffs go to the offensive zone if an inadvertent whistle takes away a rush for the offensive team

- No more icing on the penalty kill

Sorry, missed those. I agree that those would help.

I still think that there is an evolution and this is just another part of it.

Goalies used to stand. Shooters figured it out.

Goalies went to butterfly. Shooters figured it out.

Goalies hugged the post with their vertical leg. Teams figured out to shoot low far side for rebounds.

Goalies hug the post with their down leg so they can get across the net easier. Teams figured out to change direction behind the net.

It's the offenses turn now

And I'm whole-heartedly against larger nets.

The problem with scoring especially in the playoffs is that teams play too defensive of a style.  Instead going out and taking control of the game with offensive pressure, the league strategy is to now just wait for the other team to make a mistake. That's why a 2-0 lead in a game is the un-safest.  The losing team now has to go balls out to win.  Until we get exciting offensive players to go out and outscore the other team, instead of being the world's best back-checkers, the size of the net or equipment doesn't matter.

I think calling more interference penalties and increasing the size of the nets would help. No way they will shrink the pads out of supposed safety issues and you can't limit players based on size. I also like the idea of getting rid of the trapezoid and finding some way to reduce the number of offsides calls by not calling offsides once the team with the puck gets it past the red line.

I think calling more interference penalties and increasing the size of the nets would help. No way they will shrink the pads out of supposed safety issues and you can't limit players based on size. I also like the idea of getting rid of the trapezoid and finding some way to reduce the number of offsides calls by not calling offsides once the team with the puck gets it past the red line.

Everyone keeps saying this, but it has never happened in the history of the league, even during the playoffs of the no-touch years, so I think this can be left off of the list of solutions.

I heard dufus Peters talking about banning going down to block shots in order to increase offense, but IMO a large majority of shots are blocked by sticks or guys just getting in the shooting lanes, not guys layout out to block shots.

The one thing I think would make a dramatic difference without making it a safety concern is to reduce the size of the goalie glove, which is ridiculous in size.  I think this would make a much bigger difference than reducing goalie pads which is always talked about.  I would also increase the height and width of the nets by 4-6" each way.

PS A "zone defense"/3 second type NBA rule would never fly.  There is already to much that the refs can't see.

Edited by LabattBlue

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.