What would you do to increase offense?

nfreeman

We need some juice!  

59 members have voted

1. 1. What steps would you take to increase offense? (Choose as many as you like.)

• Call more interference and holding penalties as in 2005-'06
    • Reduce size of goalie pads
    • Enlarge the nets
    • Implement height/weight restrictions on goalies (e.g. goalies cannot exceed 6'0", 185 lbs)
    • Implement restrictions on shotblocking (e.g. penalize shotblocking unless the defender is fully prone on the ice)
    • Implement a "3-second rule" or similar measure to prevent clogging the slot
    • Other change -- please describe
    • No changes needed -- current state of the game is just fine

D4rk:  Serious question.  When you say they can't reduce pad sizes because the butterfly style exists, I assume you mean because the pads, when put together, protect the knees better.  In other words, they can't reduce pad *height*.  Even with the butterfly, is there a reason they can't reduce pad *width*?

The width is part of the protection when you're down. When you're completely down you need that pad width to protect your thighs. Some goalies wear standalone thigh guards while others use the ones built into the pads. But the bulky pad offers the best protection. It helps seal that gap between your pants and knee when you're down. 

hi-res-144749280_crop_north.jpg?w=630&h=

Oddly enough, goalie pads are significantly narrower than they were in the 80's and 90's. Look at these pillows on Hasek. 

03.dominik-hasek-sabres-90s.jpg

or Malarchuk 

malarchuk.jpg

I also think the idea that goalies are wearing too big of pads is a myth. The difference is that goalies play bigger now. There's a science to it. They're taught how to move and position themselves to take away the net. I bet you wouldn't increase scoring at all if you tried to shrink the pads. The Butterfly style is just too darn effective. 

So widen the nets so goalies cant protect post to post when down in the butterfly.

I really don't like screwing with things that have been constant forever.  The NBA won't raise the hoops, the NFL won't expand the field or contract the goalposts, and 4x6 should remain 4x6.

I really don't like screwing with things that have been constant forever. The NBA won't raise the hoops, the NFL won't expand the field or contract the goalposts, and 4x6 should remain 4x6.

Enjoy your 2-1 games then.

I really don't like screwing with things that have been constant forever. The NBA won't raise the hoops, the NFL won't expand the field or contract the goalposts, and 4x6 should remain 4x6.

Actually the NFL has messed with goalposts before. They haven't always been at the back of the end zone. They have also considered making them closer together the last few offseasons. But I don't think they're really comparable anyways.

I think the net should be widened slightly... Simple adaption to much bigger goalies. Make it harder for them but not impossible.

Actually the NFL has messed with goalposts before. They haven't always been at the back of the end zone. They have also considered making them closer together the last few offseasons. But I don't think they're really comparable anyways.

I think the net should be widened slightly... Simple adaption to much bigger goalies. Make it harder for them but not impossible.

I'm aware of where the NFL goalposts used to be and I also am aware that the change had little to do with field goals.  I also am aware that they *considered* moving the uprights closer.  They didn't do it.

WTF, man.  Do you really think you're the only one who knows certain basics?  You sure come off that way sometimes.

Enjoy your 2-1 games then.

Or they could call penalties by the book.

Edited by Eleven

I'm aware of where the NFL goalposts used to be and I also am aware that the change had little to do with field goals.  I also am aware that they *considered* moving the uprights closer.  They didn't do it.

I'm glad you're aware. The NFL is still considering changes to the goal posts, but their alterations of the extra point show that they're not afraid to change something that has been the same forever. You specifically mentioned the goalposts, but it's worth pointing out that changes have been made and others considered.

One additional point on why goalie pads won't get narrower is, when a goalie gets into the butterfly, their legs aren't completely flat on the ice - there is a foam block over the inner knee which keeps the knee elevated and significantly reduces stress on the knee. Make the pads narrower and injuries go up a lot.

Because the pads being as big as they are does improve player safety, they aren't going to get reduced.

The 3 things the league could do today to increase scoring chances are:

1 call interference

2 make the frame of the net 2" wider all the way around (if necessary, bump them 2" additionally) and

3 move the net back to 10' from the boards.

The 3rd will put pucks that miss the net back into a scoring position much quicker. Now that the league uses hybrid icing, there isn't a safety concern w/ moving the icing line closer to the boards.

Don't switch to the international sized rinks, because you are now moving the puck farther from the net. If the goal is to increase scoring, you need to get the puck to the net, not away from it.

One additional point on why goalie pads won't get narrower is, when a goalie gets into the butterfly, their legs aren't completely flat on the ice - there is a foam block over the inner knee which keeps the knee elevated and significantly reduces stress on the knee. Make the pads narrower and injuries go up a lot.

Because the pads being as big as they are does improve player safety, they aren't going to get reduced.

The 3 things the league could do today to increase scoring chances are:

1 call interference

2 make the frame of the net 2" wider all the way around (if necessary, bump them 2" additionally) and

3 move the net back to 10' from the boards.

The 3rd will put pucks that miss the net back into a scoring position much quicker. Now that the league uses hybrid icing, there isn't a safety concern w/ moving the icing line closer to the boards.

Don't switch to the international sized rinks, because you are now moving the puck farther from the net. If the goal is to increase scoring, you need to get the puck to the net, not away from it.

All of this is spot on.

This. It would be step closer to soccer on ice. You're making it more difficult to get in scoring position.

You guys enjoyed the games at the worlds because there were good players flying around out there and you're used to watching the Sabres.

I really don't like screwing with things that have been constant forever.  The NBA won't raise the hoops, the NFL won't expand the field or contract the goalposts, and 4x6 should remain 4x6.

Goaltenders are larger than ever, though. The nets were made at a time when smaller men played goalie. I think it's a natural evolution to increase the nets now.

Goaltenders are larger than ever, though. The nets were made at a time when smaller men played goalie. I think it's a natural evolution to increase the nets now.

Yup. With goaltenders trending 6' and up, I don't think that's going away anytime soon. They just take away all of the net even on their knees. 

The butterfly style is so effective because the extra padding above the knee allows post to post coverage with no gap at the knees.  Widening the net removes the ability to cover post to post and keep the 5 hole closed.  It is a no brainer to increase scoring.  And it's simple.

I'd still rather see improvements to the flow of the game, but I'd take wider nets anyway.

The butterfly style is so effective because the extra padding above the knee allows post to post coverage with no gap at the knees.  Widening the net removes the ability to cover post to post and keep the 5 hole closed.  It is a no brainer to increase scoring.  And it's simple.

I'd still rather see improvements to the flow of the game, but I'd take wider nets anyway.

The simplest solutions are often the best ones. 

My hope would be that if you create the space to score a Guy Lafluer style 40-footer again, defenders would be forced to challenge more and create more space down low.

But, like I said above, it's not the lack of goals that is the problem, it is the lack of scoring chances.

Four most exciting plays in hockey: the deke around a defender, the breakaway, the big open ice hit and the big stop on a guy in cold.

That's what I want to see and that's what the rules need to encourage. Goals aren't necessary to my fan enjoyment.

My hope would be that if you create the space to score a Guy Lafluer style 40-footer again, defenders would be forced to challenge more and create more space down low.

But, like I said above, it's not the lack of goals that is the problem, it is the lack of scoring chances.

Four most exciting plays in hockey: the deke around a defender, the breakaway, the big open ice hit and the big stop on a guy in cold.

That's what I want to see and that's what the rules need to encourage. Goals aren't necessary to my fan enjoyment.

Your first sentence makes an excellent point.  So much of the net is covered today.  Look at the sick stats Buffalo goaltenders put up this season by allowing long shots and taking away the in close chances.  Making changes that result in fewer long shot stops will change how defenses play.

Your first sentence makes an excellent point. So much of the net is covered today. Look at the sick stats Buffalo goaltenders put up this season by allowing long shots and taking away the in close chances. Making changes that result in fewer long shot stops will change how defenses play.

The long shot is obsolete. With goalies taking away the lower part of the net and high shots too easy to block, the long shot is only doable if you can open up lanes. And teams defend lanes now. More than ever.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.