Get to Know - Disco Dan Bylsma

Welcome aboard, 7 + 6 = 13

That's a strong take. I don't know too much about the market values. If you were on the negotiation team, I'd want greenhorns like me to stay out of your way for this process. The Sabres want to pay as little as they can, as you suggest, that seems right. Don't chum up the waters like a dang barbarian. Be cool, roll light, spin cast easy baby. Still bring that discofish onto the boat. Like he wanted to be caught man. Like he's been waiting for us, and we've been waiting for him. Not even trollin'. Just casting, our eyes, on each other.

I like the optics on this coach. He got Sid the Kid his only ring. He got Babcock's goat in the mano i mano. He can caress and assuage the media. They'll be eating out of his hands. But he's still looks good in a leisure suit. He's got got a young mans mojo. The fireplaces in the locker room finally make sense. The rosewood ambience too. The hot tubs, of course. Money well spent.

That he'd have old baddies like the OP in love with his hockey team is testament to something larger. This guy's a healer. A Disco Priest. One Buffalo, Hoss and Yuri. Ghost and Nfreeman. Team Storm Cloud, and Team Sunshine and Kittens. Tank and Anti-tank. Bylsma.

In all seriousness, a good coach would be worth the 21st pick.  I'd do it.  What's the logistics on this:

No he is not.

Also have one huge issue i keep reading about bylsma, A stubborn coach who won't adapt his system and rarely listens to the people around him.

For a while you guys had me on the bylsma bandwagon but im out.

Tod nelson or guy boucher please.

Edited by Heimdall

No he is not.

Also have one huge issue i keep reading about bylsma, A stubborn coach who won't adapt his system and rarely listens to the people around him.

For a while you guys had me on the bylsma bandwagon but im out.

Tod nelson or guy boucher please.

Read what Jay McKee had to say about him. It seems to be the opposite of what you're saying. 

I liked what Dreger had to say about Bylsma this morning in that he is a real teacher and very communicative during practices. That practice bit may not go over well with a lot of veteran players but it sure sounds good for all the young-ins that will be on the roster. Just like it took a few days to get over losing the draft, I am totally fine with Bylsma after hearing some professional opinions.

Read what Jay McKee had to say about him. It seems to be the opposite of what you're saying. 

Yea its a good read. Bylsma does change his system. It's really only bloggers and msg board posters who think that he doesn't. 

I did, and it didn't get a warm fuzzing feeling about Dan from it.

Dan.............Jay no more blocking shots

Jay..............But Coach it's what I do

Dan.............Jay I want to see you in my office....what I tell you about blocking shots yesterday?

Jay..............I'm trying, but jeez give me a week

I think Jay was trying to make his style of coaching a positive in the interview, but it came off to me as a negative especially the "are you un-coachable" quote in the article.

Yea its a good read. Bylsma does change his system. It's really only bloggers and msg board posters who think that he doesn't. 

One thing that always intrigued me about Bylsma is that different lines would play different systems. 

Bylsma would often have his top 2 lines play a possession game and his bottom two lines play a dump and chase. (which is the big difference with Lindy Ruff, Ruff would play a possession game with all 4 lines and shorten the bench as the game progressed, Bylsma likes to flip the ice quickly too, but his lines are more specialized in approach).

It really is a mistake to think that Bylsma plays a simple game, he doesn't.

The key difference with Bylsma and Ruff.....(only because Ruff is a useful point of reference here, not because I want him back PA). 

Bylsma liked to have different lines play different systems, that's why he hated to juggle lines. The roles were more specialized. 

Ruff had every line playing the same systems and juggled skaters freely to adjust to opponents and who was playing well. 

The weakness with Bylsma's style in Pitt was if he had a line struggling, or an injury, he had often had to find a player to change systems. Especially inside the game he was often limited.  It wasn't unusual to see his Pittsburgh teams go into funks for a few games until the changes got ironed out. 

I'm not convinced Bylsma would bring the same approach to Buff as he used in Pitt, but he would be a radically different coach than Nolan. Radically. 

My biggest question would be how Gorges and Bogosian would respond to him. 

When Mike Weber was being interviewed on Hockey Hotline a few weeks ago he mentioned one of the reasons why he would want Babcock is because he would bring structure to the locker room and team, if Byslma can do the same Bogo and Gorges should respond favorably

...because Bogo and Gorges are just like Weber.

Really, I'm not that worried about it.  As long as he brings a system that the players can understand he'll be fine.  Bogo, by all accounts, wants to be here so he'll make it work, and Gorges is a professional.  The one to worry about would be Kane... not that I suspect trouble, but with the locker room stories out of WPG, he is the one I would expect would be a problem.  And then, there's just no way to know until the coach comes in.

I saw an interview where Bylsma said that even though you can make a point for possesion, the hardest thing to do as a defender was to have to turn your back to a play and go retrieve a puck. If you are a smart defenseman and a team wants to try to gain the blueline with the puck, you can read the play and make the coreect response. If you have to turn your back, you are half blind and risk physical punishment on top of a poor decision.

Now...that's more of an offensive philosophy....but as far as Bogosian and Gorges go, those are the guys you want reading the play. If there is a league trend to possesion.....perfect. They will read and react. If a team is going to dump.....bring it on.....they will wreck you in the corner before you do, them.

That is why I pointed out Bylsma's defense when he won the Cup. You have to trust your guys to read the play, and smarts and grit is better than speed and skill. It is the Belichick way of doing things.

I am SO pumped if he actually gets hired. We will finally get to watch TRUE hockey.

And if you think he is just a guy......he won the cup with this group on defense:

Letang (21 years old)

Gonchar (35)

Orpik  (28)

Hal Gil  (34)

Scuderi (30)

Eaton (32)

Those were his top 6 guys......and he won the Stanley Cup

Compare those guys to

Ristolainen (20)

Bogosian (24)

Zadorov (20)

Gorges (30)

Weber (27)

Pysyk (23)

The point on Weber, Gorges and Bogosian is likely because Bylsma doesn't have a ton of experience in coaching rugged-type dmen at the NHL level.

OK DS.....you are a hard worker and smart guy.

If you put your effort into finding the steak instead of the sizzle......you have a shot.

There are a lot of fairly young posters on this board who are an asset...including yourself. Do the 5 minutes of research first.....not trying to insult, just help.

Well he had Orpik.

That's why I said he doesn't have a ton of experience. Orpik is the only long-time physical dman he had. Others were a revolving door of bottom-pairing guys.

A lot of the physical guys were one-dimensional and ended up with few minutes in favor of the more offensive guys.

The point on Weber, Gorges and Bogosian is likely because Bylsma doesn't have a ton of experience in coaching rugged-type dmen at the NHL level.

Bylsma may not have a ton of experience with rugged defenseman.  With McKee, a rugged defenseman by my estimation, Bylsma insisted that he tie up the man in front, instead of going for the blocked shot.  I'd be ok with that approach, were Bylsma to use it with Bogosian and Gorges.  Big strong guys are useful tying guys up in front and clearing out the crease.

That's why I said he doesn't have a ton of experience. Orpik is the only long-time physical dman he had. Others were a revolving door of bottom-pairing guys.

A lot of the physical guys were one-dimensional and ended up with few minutes in favor of the more offensive guys.

I guess what I mean is that Bylsma often likes to have D men take pass, let's the goalie front the shot, and has the D flip the ice Quickly.

That is really the opposite of Nolan. More like Ruff.

Orpik was on the kill. But my question about Bogo and Gorges is really the emphasis and the quick retrevals and recoveries in 5x5.

I guess what I mean is that Bylsma often likes to have D men take pass, let's the goalie front the shot, and has the D flip the ice Quickly.

I'm ok with that.

Scuderi was fairly similar to Gorges.

...because Bogo and Gorges are just like Weber.

This was unnecessary and fairly obnoxious.

I saw an interview where Bylsma said that even though you can make a point for possesion, the hardest thing to do as a defender was to have to turn your back to a play and go retrieve a puck. If you are a smart defenseman and a team wants to try to gain the blueline with the puck, you can read the play and make the coreect response. If you have to turn your back, you are half blind and risk physical punishment on top of a poor decision.

Now...that's more of an offensive philosophy....but as far as Bogosian and Gorges go, those are the guys you want reading the play. If there is a league trend to possesion.....perfect. They will read and react. If a team is going to dump.....bring it on.....they will wreck you in the corner before you do, them.

That is why I pointed out Bylsma's defense when he won the Cup. You have to trust your guys to read the play, and smarts and grit is better than speed and skill. It is the Belichick way of doing things.

I am SO pumped if he actually gets hired. We will finally get to watch TRUE hockey.

The real question is whether or not you'll be too busy getting banned to discuss it :p

Scuderi was fairly similar to Gorges.

Well sort of...Scuderi could actually skate. Gorges? Not so much, and I can't see it improving following microfracture surgery.

Was it? It wasn't in my head.

It came off as flippant and dismissive, which isn't at all your modus operandi.  

In my opinion, a mod's got to check in every now and then to keep up the high standard of conversation around here.

Mod's probably like you, and don't want to see you postin any B-'s.  Might even be grooming you.

It came off as flippant and dismissive, which isn't at all your modus operandi.  

In my opinion, a mod's got to check in every now and then to keep up the high standard of conversation around here.

Mod's probably like you, and don't want to see you postin any B-'s.  Might even be grooming you.

From the look of the avatar, the grooming might prove a little challenging  :P

Ladies and Gents -- let's stay focused here.  Hoss is reporting that the other thread that the Sabres are about to hire Bylsma.

If true, GoDD has a good shot at one of the all-time greatest "I told you so"s in Sabrespace history.

That's without even considering the fact that GoDD got an entire metro region to refer to him as "Disco Dan."

Next up:  Ryan O'Reilly and a good defenseman.

Hockey awaits!

His nickname has been Disco Dan for a long time, actually. Fans in Pitt also referred to him as such.

What's the "I told you so" here? GoDD's fantastic breakdowns of Bylsma definitely got many on the bandwagon, but I don't think anybody was suggesting that hiring Bylsma was outside of the realm of possibility.

It's an I told you so if he leads the Sabres to the cup, but I don't think any fan of the team will be wasting time on those while celebrating.