Get to Know - Disco Dan Bylsma

Can you explain what he did with his offensive innovations? Most of what I've learned about hockey tactics in that past couple years came from your breakdowns, so I'm always chomping at the bit for more.

It has been a few years, but the 1-3-1 was really a counter-attack, once Tampa won possession the system was much closer to Detroit's. Hold possession with lots of movement away from the puck, but not necessarily always towards the net. It was almost like a zone offense in basketball, waiting to find mismatches or number advantages when the defense broke down before attacking, lots of skating in tight circles. It really was fun to watch until teams caught on. Or at least I remember it as high scoring. 

Any possibility that the compensation issue isn't a draft pick from the Sabres, but the Pens wanting to be able to get out of paying him for the upcoming season if he's coaching elsewhere?

That's automatic. They get out of whatever the Sabres or another team pays him.

Nobody is actually reporting this. The third is just what everybody is speculating on because that's what Babcock got.

Yes. They're paying him through next season.

Actually Hockey Hotline was discussing it. The compensation agreed upon at the BOG Meeting in June 2014 was a 3rd for a Pres of Hockey Ops, GM or HC in the offseason or a 2nd in season

Actually Hockey Hotline was discussing it. The compensation agreed upon at the BOG Meeting in June 2014 was a 3rd for a Pres of Hockey Ops, GM or HC in the offseason or a 2nd in season

That's my bad then, if true. I thought it was something to be negotiated. If that's the case I can't imagine what the haggling would be...

Sounds like the discussion then is about if/should the rule apply to fired personnel, and, if yes, which 3rd-rounder the Pens should get.

It's already been determined that it does apply to fire personnel, hence why the Bruins got compensation for Chiarelli.

Sounds like the discussion then is about if/should the rule apply to fired personnel, and, if yes, which 3rd-rounder the Pens should get.

Sabres have no third rounder in 2015, correct?

So which third rounder in 2016 because the Sabres currently have 4 ?

Or, they may just be saying we will let him sit, and hope he is available next year when you are done paying his salary.