Get to Know - Disco Dan Bylsma

This does seem like a pretty big sell, I'm not sure I'm buying yet. :) Drane, you're making a big deal about the fastest coach to 200/250 wins. Anyone want to look to see how many first-time NHL coaches get handed the keys to the previous year's SCF finalist?

I like this thread. Not sure I'm sold on Bylsma just yet, but I like this thread.

The name Disco Dan I pretty solid, though.

I'll second that motion.

Thanks Drane for effort and good material.

Edited by Woods-Racer

Instead of focusing on the concerns of who I feel is an extremely overrated, yet very good candidate in Mike Babcock.......I present to you my perfect choice for the talent, age, and personality of this team.

The fastest coach to win 250 games in NHL history.......and he was fired a few weeks later.......

Stanley Cup....X's and O's.....Relaxed yet Intense......

NSFW

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OpgKZc86G1w

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CursOYIj9EU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nxfV872txSY

I'm enjoying Aaron Asham's "why bother" shoulder pads 

post-1361-0-68248000-1431618728_thumb.png

Thanks for the discussion.

I watch the 24/7 series every year and whether or not I truly can profile someone in short order.....there was enough info there to make me really like the guy.

I had no idea how analytical he was until I started really digging. I think this guy is a tireless worker, a student of the game, and is always looking for an edge. I also think he is a good hearted guy that likes to have fun. The posterboy for Work Hard / Play Hard. In fact, if anything is truly keeping him an under the radar guy for current interviews, it's probably that some GM's are scared because he is so smart, motivated and balanced. Darcy would never hire this guy. I "could" see Tim Murray doing it. Like some have said....maybe he is back in NJ with Shero because Shero has the confidence in his own abilities to not be threatened and instead build an amazing team with someone.

Remember too......Pitsburgh fired Shero last April, but hung onto Bylsma for months.....hanging him out to dry as other teams filled their coaching needs, THEN they fired him. You might see the same thing in Boston this year. Dirty Pool.

I would love for someone to take the same interest in Babcock and let everyone know his history and performance measures, as well as the types of players he had success with.

This does seem like a pretty big sell, I'm not sure I'm buying yet. :) Drane, you're making a big deal about the fastest coach to 200/250 wins. Anyone want to look to see how many first-time NHL coaches get handed the keys to the previous year's SCF finalist?

I'm not sure, but I know a local fella handed the keys to a team after the previous year's GM and Coach of the Year got fired.........

I'm not sure, but I know a local fella handed the keys to a team after the previous year's GM and Coach of the Year got fired.........

Are you really trying to equate the 96-97 Sabres (who lost to Philly 1-4 in the 2nd round) with Pittsburgh? That's a stretch.

Thanks for the discussion.

I watch the 24/7 series every year and whether or not I truly can profile someone in short order.....there was enough info there to make me really like the guy.

I had no idea how analytical he was until I started really digging. I think this guy is a tireless worker, a student of the game, and is always looking for an edge. I also think he is a good hearted guy that likes to have fun. The posterboy for Work Hard / Play Hard. In fact, if anything is truly keeping him an under the radar guy for current interviews, it's probably that some GM's are scared because he is so smart, motivated and balanced. Darcy would never hire this guy. I "could" see Tim Murray doing it. Like some have said....maybe he is back in NJ with Shero because Shero has the confidence in his own abilities to not be threatened and instead build an amazing team with someone.

Remember too......Pitsburgh fired Shero last April, but hung onto Bylsma for months.....hanging him out to dry as other teams filled their coaching needs, THEN they fired him. You might see the same thing in Boston this year. Dirty Pool.

I would love for someone to take the same interest in Babcock and let everyone know his history and performance measures, as well as the types of players he had success with.

What?  :huh:

Are you really trying to equate the 96-97 Sabres (who lost to Philly 1-4 in the 2nd round) with Pittsburgh? That's a stretch.

Not really, because I think the results going forward speak for themself.

Just throwing the reality of a swarm of sandflies at you as you ride that bike too close to the lake........

What?  :huh:

The guy played the game. He works as hard as anyone in preparation. He's had more success than anyone in his coaching tenure. He is relaxed enough to be a TV analyst, has no problem questioning his coach when he is a player, and is always looking to improve himself.

He's also only 44 years old.

My guess is that 10 years from now, wherever Bylsma ends up, he will be doing so in a Coach with Roster Power position, as a GM, or both.....but with another Cup or 2+ in tow with him.

I don't think that the reason he hasn't gotten interviews is because GMs are intimidated by his awesomeness.  I am very intrigued by how Bylsma does in his next gig, now.  As other's have said, this is a great thread.

Certainly full of plenty of useful information and discussion.

Bylsma would work for me, but I have a pretty big list of coaches I would be alright with landing.

Thank you GoDD for the insightful posts and to others with some strong counter points.  A great discussion indeed.

I won't pretend to know enough about any of the candidates to have any real input for the discussion.

All I hope is that Mr. Murray is as diligent in his research into filling the coaching vacancy with the Sabres and that he makes an intelligent and well thought out choice.

Keeping this thread up high, because the CHL lesson of keeping your chin up apparently doesn't apply to coaches. FWIW, I would be happy with a coach we referred to as "Disco Dan".

But since GoDD is opening this up to other coaches...while I'm still not convinced Disco Dan is a Murray "I'll meet you at the bar after the game, Tim" kind of guy, I am definitely certain Torts and Murray would get along as well as Nolan and Murray got along.

I don't get the intense passion over coaches before we get to know them.

I mean some have great track records or personalities that push them higher than others on the personal preference list.

But really it's about how their personality and philosophy fits with the organization and the room.

Drane has done a nice job of building a case for Disco Dan, but really, how am I supposed to know if Deboer is a better fit than Richardson is better than some assistant in the west, or some guy in the AHL?

Edited by dudacek

Head to Head

'08  Bylsma  Wins Stanley Cup  40 points in 25 regular season games            Babcock Loses Stanley Cup  112 points in 82 games     Bylsma +1

'09  Bylsma  Loses in conference semis  101 points      Babcock  loses in conference semis  102 points   Babcock +1

'10  Bylsma  Loses in conference quarters  106 points   Babcock loses in conference semis  104 points   Babcock +4

'11  Bylsma loses in conference quarters  108 points     Babcock loses in conference quarters  102 points  Bylsma +1

'12  Bylsma loses in conference finals   72 points   Babcock loses in conference semis 56 points  Bylsma +5

'13 Bylsma loses in conference semis  109 points   Babcock loses in conference quarters  93 points  Bylsma +6 

Bylsma outfinished Babcock 4 out of 6 years in the playoffs in regard to draft pick positioning for a little more than 1 pick worse.

Blysma outfinished Babcock in playoff performance 3-2-1

Blysma outfinished Babcock in the regular season 5 out of 6 times

I thank everyone for continuing to bring up valid points of concern. I will do my best to look into them.

Hmm that is very interesting. 

I don't get the intense passion over coaches before we get to know them.

I mean some have great track records or personalities that push them higher than others on the personal preference list.

But really it's about how their personality and philosophy fits with the organization and the room.

Drane has done a nice job of building a case for Disco Dan, but really, how am I supposed to know if Deboer is a better fit than Richardson is better than some assistant in the west, or some guy in the AHL?

I've said that from the begining.

Nobody took on the challenge of making a case for any other coach. There was the regurgitated Babcock talk....and when that was questioned, you were a jerk, pushing an agenda, yadda yadda.

I want to know more about DeBoer and Richardson........and anyone else someone feels excited about.

It ain't coming from here, and it ain't coming from the $$$ Paid Media.

It's easier to cash a check and cahoot about a band or a sitcom..... (GoDD Disclaimer....sarcastic joke not aimed at message board but clowns making money to "cover" the team)

I wish I had the time, because I have all of a sudden become interested in MacLean.  I would like to re-visit the season leading up to his firing.  Apparently, after he won the Jack Adams he became a douche to the players (SOURCE). 

As a player he was a goal scorer, and apparently a tough guy.  That's what the Sabres need, if he can teach it.