Get to Know - Disco Dan Bylsma

Instead of focusing on the concerns of who I feel is an extremely overrated, yet very good candidate in Mike Babcock.......I present to you my perfect choice for the talent, age, and personality of this team.

The fastest coach to win 250 games in NHL history.......and he was fired a few weeks later.......

Stanley Cup....X's and O's.....Relaxed yet Intense......

NSFW

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OpgKZc86G1w

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CursOYIj9EU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nxfV872txSY

I really like him and think he is a very good coach.

I am starting to think that GoDD is right, he is the perfect coach for the Sabres at this juncture.

He could be a bridge to the next guy, who will likely be the coach when the Sabres are really ready to try to take that last step.

It was roughly 25 years between Cup Final appearances, so we are getting pretty close for our next one.

Did any player really develop under Bylsma in Pittsburgh? Maybe it was crappy drafting and maybe it was crappy coaching...but given the importance of developing our young players, I'm not enthusiastic about betting on the problem being crappy drafting and Bylsma being some innocent bystander in the whole thing. And don't even get me started on the Olympic debacle.

Staal and Orpik were already developed when Bylsma took over.

They had their best years under him.  Staal became a Selke level player under him. Letang became a stud under his watch too.  Who did he not develop?  

I'm not on the Bylsma boat, but people are putting wayyyy too much into player development

Edited by Patty16

Not really able to look up all of Pittsburgh's prospects who were projected to be NHL players, so I'll have to offer a range check on that.

Bylsma to me is the ultimate example of just another guy. I don't think he makes his teams worse, but I don't see any value added either. I can't think of a team he's coached that exceeded expectations. With good players he'll be okay, but that's it.

I also think it's telling that Peter DeBoer, he of one career playoff appearance, is generating more head coaching interest than Cup winner Bylsma.

They had their best years under him.  Staal became a Selke level player under him. Letang became a stud under his watch too.  Who did he not develop?  

I'm not on the Bylsma boat, but people are putting wayyyy too much into player development

Considering our team, I don't think we are. 

Not really able to look up all of Pittsburgh's prospects who were projected to be NHL players, so I'll have to offer a range check on that.

Bylsma to me is the ultimate example of just another guy. I don't think he makes his teams worse, but I don't see any value added either. I can't think of a team he's coached that exceeded expectations. With good players he'll be okay, but that's it.

I also think it's telling that Peter DeBoer, he of one career playoff appearance, is generating more head coaching interest than Cup winner Bylsma.

Well that definition would eliminate almost any coach. 

Not to be crass but he did win the Jack Adams trophy for taking a team w/o Crosby OR Malkin to the playoffs (they tied for most points in division but lost tiebreaker).  

He's considered a really good coach in hockey circles. 

Considering our team, I don't think we are. 

You are. Who are developmental coaches? It's silly nonsense. All coaches work with young players.

You are. Who are developmental coaches? It's silly nonsense. All coaches work with young players.

It's a coaches job to make his players better. Every player can get better, the degree of which obviously varies but for our team it is dramatic considering our youth. Babcock has shown he can continuously take young talent and turn them into stars. 

It's a coaches job to make his players better. Every player can get better, the degree of which obviously varies but for our team it is dramatic considering our youth. Babcock has shown he can continuously take young talent and turn them into stars. 

I agree re Babcock. I don't think you can exclude Bylsma based on youth development. 

A great coach should be the top priority

I'll say this, GoDD. You may stir the pot so vigorously that the range top and floor need cleaning when you're finished, but you certainly bring the flavor.

In a conversation so rightfully focused on Xs and Os, wins and losses, Cups and appearances, I didn't feel like I knew the man until this thread. Whole picture? No. Enlightening glimpse? Yes.

I like this guy. I'm still in iron Mike's corner, but I like this guy.

Grateful.

Edited by Neo

So, wait, we're supposed to be swayed by his YouTube savvy?  Really?

Would you like me to write 8 paragraphs about him in the general coaching thread? It doesn't matter what we think, it's what Tim Murray (I hope) thinks, or Terry Pegula.

There is a 2 part series following him during daily prep and practice. The videos are much longer. I think X might like as most of it is him watching and distributing film, talking about individual players with his assistants, and going through strategy for specific games. He gets as specific as to what side locks when, why they are doing it different that night, getting back on transition, etc.

He talks so fast that those players must be very prepared......

Well that definition would eliminate almost any coach.

Not to be crass but he did win the Jack Adams trophy for taking a team w/o Crosby OR Malkin to the playoffs (they tied for most points in division but lost tiebreaker).

He's considered a really good coach in hockey circles.

1) It would eliminate most coaches, which has always kind of been my point about coaching in hockey. But I think we're in a position to get a truly elite coach, and Bylsma isn't that. We know what Bylsma is, and I don't think there's any real upside there. I'd much rather roll the dice on a guy like Blashill if we miss out on Babcock and McLellan. Potentially lower floor, but he could turn into one of those few coaches who really makes a difference.

2) I find Jack Adams trophies to be relatively meaningless as they almost always go to the coach of the surprise team that year.

3) Has he had a single interview we know of yet? I think his reputation among the hockey media is much better than in the real hockey circles. Still early in the process though, so time will tell.

Edited by TrueBluePhD

I'll say this, GoDD. You may stir the pot so vigorously that the range top and floor need cleaning when you're finished, but you certainly bring the flavor.

In a conversation so rightfully focused on Xs and Os, wins and losses, Cups and appearances, I didn't feel like I knew the man until this thread. Whole picture? No. Enlightening glimpse? Yes.

I like this guy. I'm still in iron Mike's corner, but I like this guy.

Grateful.

Thanks. It felt like just talking about him as a positive option wasn't helping much. Sometimes you have to see it.

1) It would eliminate most coaches, which has always kind of been my point about coaching in hockey. But I think we're in a potion to get a truly elite coach, and Bylsma isn't that. We know what Bylsma is, and I don't think there's any real upside there. I'd much rather roll the dice on a guy like Blashill if we miss out on Babcock and McLellan. Potentially lower floor, but he could turn into one of those few coaches who really makes a difference.

2) I find Jack Adams trophies to be relatively meaningless as they almost always go to the coach of the surprise team that year.

3) Has he had a single interview we know of yet? I think his reputation among the hockey media is much better than in the real hockey circles. Still early in the process though, so time will tell.

He's the fastest coach to 200.....and 250 wins in NHL history, and he just did that.

Development? You can't have it both ways. You can't say a guy is all about riding the coattails of Crosby and Malkin, yet they were 21 and 22 and out of the playoffs when Bylsma took over.....then went on to win the Cup, and over the next 5 years played less than 200 games together.

Maybe his name has been quiet because he was collecting the remaining contract while having part time Team USA (oh the horror!), and analyst gigs?

Edited by Ghost of Dwight Drane

The top 2 draft picks where easy. McDavid and Eichel where a can't lose pick'm.

The coaching hierarchy  is more difficult to decipher for me.

It seems obvious that Babcock is the coaching version of Conner McDavid, highly wanted and a few teams may be prepared to go to extremes to get what they want.

But a clear cut, head and shoulders above the rest No.2 (the Jack Eichel) where teams are going all out to acquire his services after Babcock is taken is not as apparent.

Maybe Blysma is Eichel, but I don't see it. He seems more like a Reinhart. A nice pick up in a normal draft year.