Roster review: #22 Johan Larsson

dudacek

69 members have voted

1. 1. Where will Johan Larsson be in three years?

• Playing in an NHL top-six
    • Playing a versatile role as this team’s Jochen Hecht
    • Playing on a fourth line
    • Playing in Europe

Next up in our player discussion series:

post-2708-0-72141500-1429887005_thumb.jpg

#22 Johan Larsson F (22-year-old RFA)

Rochester             43/15/23/38/+11/38

Buffalo                 39/6/10/16/0/12

Larsson came to North America three years ago, considered just another promising European second-rounder. But in Sweden, he was very highly regarded. At 17, he scored 14 points in five games at World Under18s, leading Sweden to silver. At 18, he won rookie of the year in his first season in the Swedish Elite League, helping Brynas win the championship. And at 19, he captained the Swedes to the 2012 World Junior title.

Larsson sparkled on the farm during his first two years with the Buffalo organization after being acquired in the Jason Pominville trade. Playing wing and centre, and in all situations, he was possibly the Amerks’ best all-around player this year and last.

But in Buffalo it was a different story. In his first 54 Sabre games, he had just seven points, rarely getting ice time beyond the fourth line. He complained about lack of opportunity, earning a reprimand from coach Ted Nolan. Those quotes sparked internet speculation that he would head back to Europe in frustration this fall.

After the trade deadline, Larsson finally got the opportunity he craved. He took advantage, registering 13 points and a +1 in the season’s last 17 games, where he played as the team’s number one centre, often matched against the opponents’ top lines.

Has he cemented a role with the team? Is it at centre, or on the wing? Is he a good fourth-liner, a solid third-liner, or can he play in the top six? Will he be pushed aside to make room for Reinhart and Eichel? And how will that possibility affect his contract talks and his role with the team going forward?

Edited by dudacek

I see Larsson playing LW on the 3rd line with Grigorenko centering and Gionta at RW. With the talent the Sabres have finally seemed to acquire I don't think there's a place for him in the top 6 other than as an injury replacement or temporary fill in if one of the top 6 guys is benched or temporarily demoted.

Love the Hecht comparison. Larsson can play somewhere on my 3rd line any day, and has enough skill to flex to the 2nd line for short stretches when injury necessitates. But if he's regularly centering a top-6 line I think that means the roster isn't nearly as good as we're hoping for.

Exactly how I view him as well.  

I think that Hecht is right about where Larsson ends up.  And I'm OK with that.  As long as we don't try to use him above his level we'll be OK.

Hecht the center or Hecht the LW? I think he's already better than Hecht the center.

I view him as a high quality role-player moving forward.  If he can continue the clip he was on at the end of the season, awesome.  A top 6 center/winger would be ideal.

But I think it's much more likely that he just found a rhythm by the end of this season and was in a good spot to produce all those points.  See: Foligno, Marcus and Gragnani, Marc-Andre.

Edited by qwksndmonster

Love the Hecht comparison. Larsson can play somewhere on my 3rd line any day, and has enough skill to flex to the 2nd line for short stretches when injury necessitates. But if he's regularly centering a top-6 line I think that means the roster isn't nearly as good as we're hoping for.

I voted top-6 only because he didn't seem to really turn it on here until he was getting regular top line minutes, but if this year's top line becomes next year's 2nd/3rd and he fits there, I won't be disappointed.

I want him to be like Hecht.

But I also wonder if that is selling him short. I like this kid a lot.

He's hard to play against and more skilled than he gets credit for.

I know it was only a five week period, but down the stretch he was our second-best forward.

Being a plus on this team was an accomplishment, especially when you consider who he played against.

my biggest fear is that he gets overlooked and an asset gets squandered.

It would be a mistake if Reinhart or Grigo gets handed his ice time without earning it.

I think Hecht with more upside is a good comparison. I was impressed with his play between Moulson and Ennis.

I think that Hecht is right about where Larsson ends up.  And I'm OK with that.  As long as we don't try to use him above his level we'll be OK.

I'd agree w/ Weave on this one.

Solid 3rd liner that w/ the right chemistry can fit in on a better line (think back to '05-'06 - he fit in very well w/ Briere and Dumont; we focus too much on his post Briere days when he was forced to center lines that didn't fit his game) and brings so much to the rink that his value is more than a 3rd liner.

I want him to be like Hecht.

But I also wonder if that is selling him short. I like this kid a lot.

He's hard to play against and more skilled than he gets credit for.

I know it was only a five week period, but down the stretch he was our second-best forward.

Being a plus on this team was an accomplishment, especially when you consider who he played against.

my biggest fear is that he gets overlooked and an asset gets squandered.

It would be a mistake if Reinhart or Grigo gets handed his ice time without earning it.

I think saying we might be selling him short by labeling him a 3rd liner is undervaluing how important 3rd lines are to quality teams. All of the legit contenders have a 3rd line that plays big minutes and has to be effective.

Edit: To expand a little, I think you need 3 lines that can play 17+ per night and be effective. He could be one of our best 6 forwards and play on the 3rd line (see: Kruger in Chicago).

Edited by TrueBluePhD

I think saying we might be selling him short by labeling him a 3rd liner is undervaluing how important 3rd lines are to quality teams. All of the legit contenders have a 3rd line that plays big minutes and has to be effective.

Edit: To expand a little, I think you need 3 lines that can play 17+ per night and be effective. He could be one of our best 6 forwards and play on the 3rd line (see: Kruger in Chicago).

I like that take.

I'm a little surprised at the consensus in the poll.

I usually see him on the fourth line in mock lineups.

But he isn't a 4th liner (at least on teams w/out studs like Mitchell & Flynn).

Oh, I agree. I was referring to Sabrespacers who have posted projections for next year's roster.

I think when he's finished growing, he's closer to the second than the fourth on an average team.

So I like the idea he's a third-liner on our good team.

Jochen Hecht is a good comparisson, but I view that to most likely be on the high end of Larsson's potential. Hecht averaged a 46 points per 82 game pace throughtout his NHL career. That is what our best player scored this year, Ennis, 46 points. Albeit, in 78 games (of course, it was a very down year for team scoring, but still). If I am not mistaken, 46 points is roughly second line value (possibly lower end). So I think I view Larsson as a very good potential 3rd line player. If we could have a quality guy like Larsson center our third line, I think we would be in great shape.

• 2 months later...

i think he can be the sort of guy you need in your bottom 6 if you want to win playoff games.

I agree.  I think he's a very underappreciated player.  Another guy that can play centre but would have not problem pushing him to the wing.  I think he could have a nice year playing on a third line with say Reinhart and Gionta.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.