Roster review: #36 Patrick Kaleta

dudacek

Roster review: Pat Kaleta  

74 members have voted

1. 1. Should Patrick Kaleta be a member of the Sabres on opening night this October?

• Yes
    • No
    • Yes, but as an extra, not in the starting lineup

Player two in the offseason roster review series:

post-2708-0-74032400-1429714799_thumb.jpg

#36 Pat Kaleta RW (28-year-old UFA)

Buffalo                 42/0/3/3/-11/36

No one doubts Pat Kaleta bleeds Buffalo Sabres blue. We've seen it many times as he's thrown his face in front of elbows, fists and pucks. The question is whether he has any more blood to give.

The team's most veteran player after nine years here, Kaleta played just 42 games this season after playing just five the year before and just 34 the season before that. During those three seasons, he scored a total of one goal. He has played more than 60 games just once in his career.

In some ways, Kaleta's presence in the lineup this year could be declared a victory in itself. He overcame major injuries, league disciplinary troubles and a paralyzing reputation as a cheap-shot artist that threatened his ability to play the game.

He carved his NHL career as a feared hitter, a good penalty killer and an instigator with a great knack for drawing penalties. All of those qualities were seen less often from him this year.

Does he still have the wheels to hold off challenges from this team's many prospects? Have his injuries become too much to ignore? Will this team repay his years of dedication with another contract? Or is it time to move on?

Edited by dudacek

According to nhlnumbers.com (I sure miss capgeek) he still has one year left at 1.25M$ per year.

Yep. But every other source I checked says UFA.

And the "I hope to be back" end-of-season interviews seem to confirm that.

Edited by dudacek

I really think it is more that he has given so much during his career that he doesn't have much left, even at 28. Lately his seasons have been all injuries and struggles, and I would rather he survive than keep trying to be a 4th line NHL'er.

The Rochester/NHL scenario mentioned above wouldn't be horrible, but I doubt an established NHL player would go for that.

I just want him offered something, if he finds a better deal elsewhere good for him. I just don't want to see him in Ottawa like Rob Ray because he didn't even get a last year, good faith, contract offer.

Hockey heaven has to take care of the likes of the Pat Kaleta's.

"You'll take this contract, I know it's not much but you'll retire in 2016 with grace and honor. We get you working with the worst PR department in hockey doing some radio talk shows, a few commercials, would you like to coach? We take care of our own here in Hockey Heaven, besides you seem like a bright young man that couldn't royally screw up a ceremony for one of the worlds best goalies, think it over Patty we could always use a good person..." 

I just want him offered something, if he finds a better deal elsewhere good for him. I just don't want to see him in Ottawa like Rob Ray because he didn't even get a last year, good faith, contract offer.

Didn't Ray ask to be traded to Ot'wa?

I have no problem keeping Kaleta around for another year or two at least.  He is only 28, skates well, effective on the PK, can still hit(as long as he keeps it under control), will drop the gloves sticking up for any teammate, and bleeds blue and gold.  Just needs to figure out how to stay healthy to the point of playing at least 60 games.

You can't field a lineup of guys all under the age of 25.  Not sure how Kaleta brings any less to the table than someone else coming up from the farm or via F/A.

Edited by LabattBlue

Thought Ray had little say?

Need and old guy with a good memory.

Old guy, with questionable memory, reporting for duty.

Ray had no say.

He was traded to Ottawa for the ever popular *future considerations* (not sure what they were / ended up being).  He only played a handful of games for the Otters over 2 seasons.

Ray had no say.

He was traded to Ottawa for the ever popular *future considerations* (not sure what they were / ended up being).  He only played a handful of games for the Otters over 2 seasons.

At the time the Sabres were terrible and I thought he wanted another kick at the playoffs before he retired. Trading a player only for "future considerations" seems to be used for feel-good situations.

I found this in an old ESPN article:

Ray goes to Ottawa, which has a league-best 94 points. "I'm excited about the opportunity to go to a contender,'' Ray said. "It's something the Sabres didn't have to do, but I appreciate the fact they did it.'' The deals also helped the Sabres decrease their payroll.

Ray had no say.

You actually where the first person to come to mind, but I didn't want to ask directly for you just in case it was a senior moment day. I didn't want  you on the spot when you couldn't find your glasses or computer or house or what ever else seniors lose within  2 minutes and 10 feet of having it last.

:P

At the time the Sabres were terrible and I thought he wanted another kick at the playoffs before he retired. Trading a player only for "future considerations" seems to be used for feel-good situations.

I found this in an old ESPN article:

Ray goes to Ottawa, which has a league-best 94 points. "I'm excited about the opportunity to go to a contender,'' Ray said. "It's something the Sabres didn't have to do, but I appreciate the fact they did it.'' The deals also helped the Sabres decrease their payroll.

This may have been spun as a feel good situation, but I don't remember it being this "nice". I would like to see the current ownership handle a similar situation without a kick to the curb feel to it.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.