With Kane at #9, how would you feel if Eichel took....#99

dejeanneret

I hadn't thought about 10, I think I like that better than 15. Wish we had some of those retired numbers available though.

Personally if the only retired numbers were Gil's and Dom's I'd be perfectly fine with it. If you ask me, Horton and LaFontaine being retired here is pretty silly. Gare is a toss up for me, and I understand the rest of the FC being retired.

Personally if the only retired numbers were Gil's and Dom's I'd be perfectly fine with it. If you ask me, Horton and LaFontaine being retired here is pretty silly. Gare is a toss up for me, and I understand the rest of the FC being retired.

I agree, I'd like to see Eichel with 7 had we only retired 11 and 39, which is what I'd have done

15 seems most likely but I am hoping he splits the difference between 9 and 11 and takes 10.

Can they buy out Hodgson before the draft? 19 would be a better option than some linebacker number ... but then I am a grumpy old man when it comes to that kind of thing.

Pipes!

I'm far less concerned with the number he wears than I am with the numbers he puts up.

Here are the official NHL guidelines to allow a player to wear #99:

http://www.nhl.com/rules/unifor...

Thanks, SDS -- I had no idea. Interesting.

Edited by That Aud Smell

The Sabres have a terrible tradition of retiring numbers IMPO.  Horton, LaFontaine, I don't get those.  At least Dom was the best player ever at his position.  

Personally I like the Detroit model.  BTW the Detroit RedWings have 7 numbers retired... why the hell does Buffalo have 6?  One franchise is a cup winning original team with 24 straight years in the post season. The other team isn't.  

http://www.detroithockey.net/history/retired.php

The Sabres have a terrible tradition of retiring numbers IMPO.  Horton, LaFontaine, I don't get those.  At least Dom was the best player ever at his position.  

Personally I like the Detroit model.  BTW the Detroit RedWings have 7 numbers retired... why the hell does Buffalo have 6?  One franchise is a cup winning original team with 24 straight years in the post season. The other team isn't.  

http://www.detroithockey.net/history/retired.php

I know we've kicked this can around quite a bit on other threads.

Fact of the matter is that, in more recent years, the bar's been lowered for a lot of franchises when it comes to retiring numbers. That doesn't make it "right," but, it is what it is. It's a development/marketing tool as much as anything, I reckon.

p.s. In recent years, the Canucks retired the numbers of Markus Nasland and Trevor Linden.  :huh:

Fact of the matter is that, in more recent years, the bar's been lowered for a lot of franchises when it comes to retiring numbers. That doesn't make it "right," but, it is what it is. It's a development/marketing tool as much as anything, I reckon.

p.s. In recent years, the Canucks retired the numbers of Markus Nasland and Trevor Linden.  :huh:

:sick:

IMPO numbers should only be retired for guys who spent at least (10yrs?) with a team and were the dominate member of that team for that decade. Nic Lidstrom for instance was dominate on that blueline in Detroit for close to 20years.  That's the type of guy whose number you retire.  Horton, LaFontaine, meh. 

The Canucks ones make me feel a whole lot better.

A lot of the Sabres retired numbers are more for contribution to the community/longevity than impact on the game. I'm thinking specifically Gare and LaFontaine. They were good players, but were also really loved and remained in the Buffalo community.

It's kind of funny, or something, that many youngish fans don't care for the FC #s all being retired.

They (7, 11 and 14) are the only numbers that should be retired, IMO.

Though I obviously never saw them live, I've read and seen plenty to show me what they meant to the team and city and how great they were. I just don't like having seven numbers retired in 44 years of a franchise with no cup. Gil was the 1st overall pick of the franchise that was a superstar, and Dom was the best goalie ever, and I wish it had stuck with those. Just my opinion, though.

Whatever number Jack takes, I hope to see it deservedly hanging in the rafters someday.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.