I need to be talked off the ledge...

LabattBlue

Who cares about the damned league!?

What they have done to my game is beyond atrocious.  The league is now massively over-expanded and most regular season games are not worth watching.

The only people who benefit from a growing, expanded league are the millionaire players and the billionaire owners.

At least McDavid will play in front of real hockey fans who can appreciate what he has to offer.

Can you imagine if he ended up in any one of the 10 or so markets that have no business whatsoever with an NHL hockey team?!

That would be a disgrace.

Im thinking that Murray could make a move for Taylor Hall or Leon Draisaitl now that Edmonton has McDavid

Sweet. Then we can trade Eichel for O'Reilly and Reinhart for Lucic, force Gionta into retirement and not have a single right handed forward on the roster. We could be like that video game from the 80's.

All your southpaws are belong to us.

No, but the Sabres could move a young d-man or two to help EDM on their back end and get one of their previous #I

I'm not sure what young dmen(one or two) that you think the Sabres can afford to move.  Pysyk is moving up to the Sabres next year and that leaves McCabe in Rochester.  The only other blueliner in the pipeline is Brycen Martin, and he will be in juniors for at least one more year.

Bogo

Pysyk

Weber

Zadarov

Risto

Gorges

#7...Ruhwedel??

I'm not sure I like the wording at the end of this piece, but it's good advice for LB:

So if any Sabres fans find themselves on a ledge, consider the team’s highly promising McDavid-less future and calmly step down.

http://www.thehockeynews.com/blog/why-buffalos-mcdavid-less-future-is-still-brighter-than-edmontons/

Then Pegula should spit in their face, since they spread out the odds further this year in part to spite the Sabres. As I said in the lottery thread itself: it's a terrible outcome for the league, and the league is 100% responsible for it, and that actually makes me pretty happy.

The changes to the lottery didn't ensure that outcome. Edmonton got lucky. Would you feel better if they had won it under last year's rules? And spite? Really? The "league" didn't do anything. The governors did. A bunch of teams wanted a better shot at McDavid.

Theory going 'round the water cooler this morning:  The league cannot possibly want McDavid in Edmonton.  What if the league prods Pegula to take action?

Not my theory.  

What action? My devious thought is that the league could get Pegula and the Oilers' owner in a room and tell them how it's going to be. McDavid is going to be a Sabre. What can the league offer? MFT status for both teams? What is the carrot and what is the stick?

I'm not in any stage of grief, by the way. I am down for Eichel. I merely like devious thoughts.

I'm not sure I like the wording at the end of this piece, but it's good advice for LB:

http://www.thehockeynews.com/blog/why-buffalos-mcdavid-less-future-is-still-brighter-than-edmontons/

The changes to the lottery didn't ensure that outcome. Edmonton got lucky. Would you feel better if they had won it under last year's rules? And spite? Really? The "league" didn't do anything. The governors did. A bunch of teams wanted a better shot at McDavid.

What action? My devious thought is that the league could get Pegula and the Oilers' owner in a room and tell them how it's going to be. McDavid is going to be a Sabre. What can the league offer? MFT status for both teams? What is the carrot and what is the stick?

I'm not in any stage of grief, by the way. I am down for Eichel. I merely like devious thoughts.

I've no idea.  Again, not my theory.

I am not on the edge because we didn't win the lottery, I am on the edge because I am afraid Murray will trade key pieces of the core to end up with McDavid instead of Eichel.

I'm not sure what young dmen(one or two) that you think the Sabres can afford to move.  Pysyk is moving up to the Sabres next year and that leaves McCabe in Rochester.  The only other blueliner in the pipeline is Brycen Martin, and he will be in juniors for at least one more year.

Bogo

Pysyk

Weber

Zadarov

Risto

Gorges

#7...Ruhwedel??

Unless you want him playing on his offhand, Pysyk is clearly the 3rd pairing Dman on the right side. I think you can make a reasonable argument he'd be more valuable to the team being flipped in a deal for a top-4 LHD or a top-6 RW than he will be playing on our 3rd pairing.

I meant "the league" collectively (including the board of governors), not the league office in particular. There were more than a few tweets from reputable hockey media that GMs around the league were upset that Edmonton won again...well hey bozos, you helped that happen by changing the odds. Obviously Edmonton got lucky, but all I'm saying is them winning again was made more likely by the actions of the league to spread out the lottery odds further from the last place team. Everyone seems to be complaining about an outcome that they deliberately made more likely, which amuses me greatly, and if I were a decision-maker I would make no effort to "bail them out" so to speak.

I am not on the edge because we didn't win the lottery, I am on the edge because I am afraid Murray will trade key pieces of the core to end up with McDavid instead of Eichel.

You're on the edge because you're an emotionally damaged Buffalo sports fan. There is simply no reason to believe Edmonton would trade that pick, regardless of what Murray would offer in your hypothetical doomsday scenario.

You're on the edge because you're an emotionally damaged Buffalo sports fan. There is simply no reason to believe Edmonton would trade that pick, regardless of what Murray would offer in your hypothetical doomsday scenario.

I'll be fine as soon as the draft begins and Edmonton takes McDavid.   ;)   My point about the defense was in response to flipping one of the blueline youngins' for a draft pick.  We don't need more draft picks.

Edited by LabattBlue

I meant "the league" collectively (including the board of governors), not the league office in particular. There were more than a few tweets from reputable hockey media that GMs around the league were upset that Edmonton won again...well hey bozos, you helped that happen by changing the odds. Obviously Edmonton got lucky, but all I'm saying is them winning again was made more likely by the actions of the league to spread out the lottery odds further from the last place team. Everyone seems to be complaining about an outcome that they deliberately made more likely, which amuses me greatly, and if I were a decision-maker I would make no effort to "bail them out" so to speak.

I don't get it. The "league" didn't know what place Edmonton was going to finish. How were they supposed to tweak the odds to make it less likely for them to win? Increase the odds for the last place team? And what if it had been Edmonton? Edmonton got lucky.

I don't get it. The "league" didn't know what place Edmonton was going to finish. How were they supposed to tweak the odds to make it less likely for them to win? Increase the odds for the last place team? And what if it had been Edmonton? Edmonton got lucky.

I'm not saying anyone intentionally gave Edmonton better odds, it was simply an unintended consequence of the changes to the lottery odds. Edmonton had a better chance of winning the lottery because of the changes the league made--this is a factual observation. That GMs are now upset that this event occurred amuses me a great deal, and I really don't think they have any leg to stand on with their complaining.

I'm not saying anyone intentionally gave Edmonton better odds, it was simply an unintended consequence of the changes to the lottery odds. Edmonton had a better chance of winning the lottery because of the changes the league made--this is a factual observation. That GMs are now upset that this event occurred amuses me a great deal, and I really don't think they have any leg to stand on with their complaining.

Huh? The odds for teams at the bottom got worse. Edmonton's shot was 11.5%. Last year it would have been 14.2%.

By including among the changes that no team having picked first in the last three years, could pick first again.  The worst they could pick would be behind the last place team in the event they won. Edmonton getting the golden ticket would have given Buffalo the win and Arizona would still be in third. Such a move advances the idea that the worst teams need the most help, Tanking is somewhat discouraged, and provides incentive for teams like Edmonton to not rely on the draft solely to better its fortunes.  But what do I know.

Not nothing.  I think one of the recent #1s (but not McD) could be on the trading block in exchange for some solid defense.  The Sabres could be a player in that.  Don't give away McD, but part with one of the other similar (but not was good) top picks to fill a gap they have.  Ryan Nugent Hopkins would look very good in the Blue & Gold and I'd be willing to package any defenseman except Risto with a few draft picks and prospects in order to get him.  And what the heck, throw them a low-mileage Cody Hodgson.

I like the idea of possibly acquiring one of Edmonton's young forwards, but I'd be looking more at a guy like Eberle. We have a lot of center depth already, Nugent-Hopkins doesn't seem like a guy Murray would be after.

What if Edmonton shocks the world and passes on McDavid or Darcy trades all his picks for next two years to move up and grab McDavid

I'd probably say their insane, to put that much worth in a single prospect is a risk so great that its in-perceivable. Edm would get one hell of a haul for him.

Coyotes 2015:

2 1sts

2 2nds

2 3rds

1 5th

1 7th

Coyotes 2016:

2 1sts (1 can become a 2017 1st)

1 2nd

1 3rd

1 5th

1 6th

1 7th

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.