Next Years Starting Goaltender - 2015 Ed.

LGR4GM

I'll always have a place in my heart for grumpy cat.

But not Jimmy Howard?

Never thought I would say this but bringing back Miller kind of makes sense. He will most likely be available and we have plenty of cap space. Probably get him very cheap. We did it with Moulson. Some want to bring back Stewart. What the hell - bring back Miller!!

I can see a case for bringing him back but I don't think it will happen.  The best omen though is that he's dropped on the depth chart which may make him a bargain.  GMTM doesn't have a sentimental bone in his body which doesn't help the cause, but if he thinks Miller is enough of a bargain he may take a gamble on him.  I think Miller in a triumphant return to Buffalo with an actual team in front of him might lead to a return to form.

Probably Neuvirth/Lindack is a better bargain though.

I think last night's lottery makes it far more likely that Matt O'Connor is in Buffalo or Rochester next year.

If he is, hopefully he's gotten scoring on himself out of his system. Those 2 goals could give a young man a serious crisis of confidence.

Edited by Taro T

If he is, hopefully he's gotten scoring on himself out of his system. Those 2 goals could give a young man a serious crisis of confidence.

He had a fantastic season for a team that went to the NCAA final. He's also a good-looking kid so I doubt confidence will be too much of an issue...

OConnor.jpg

Miller might be available? 

How about a goalie with a Stanley Cup? Crawford or Ward? 

Cam Ward is an absolute downgrade from Niemi and Neuvirth.  Calling a goalie with a cup win your parameters are pretty lame.  Talbot is interesting it really would depend on the price IMO.  

With Eichel in Buffalo, Matt O'Connor is a strong candidate...

As a back-up initially yes.  He's going to have to earn the starting job.  Lol.  I can see a Neuvirth, Niemi, type and then O'Connor battling with Makarov for AHL starts, and Johnson as the back-up unless moved in the offseason.  O'Connor won't be given a stating job anywhere. 

As a back-up initially yes.  He's going to have to earn the starting job.  Lol.  I can see a Neuvirth, Niemi, type and then O'Connor battling with Makarov for AHL starts, and Johnson as the back-up unless moved in the offseason.  O'Connor won't be given a stating job anywhere. 

obviously yes... however I think that would be perfect for him and buffalo...

I'm not really interested in anyone on that list. There's too many guys on there who are products of their teams. I don't want to be that team taking cracks at hot backups.

I feel like hot backups are the best place to find a goalie. The trades are pretty cheap so if it doesn't work then no big deal, but if they work then you get a starting goaltender on a bargain contract for 2-4 years. What's not to like?

The list in the article I posted?

Yeah. I mean, Miller was always the guy I wanted here so that we might avoid goalie purgatory while developing our own goaltenders internally. I just don't put much stock in bringing goalies in from the outside just because they've had some good outings. I mean, who was the last goalie to move teams and actually do anything consistently good? Patrick Roy? Belfour? 

I feel like hot backups are the best place to find a goalie. The trades are pretty cheap so if it doesn't work then no big deal, but if they work then you get a starting goaltender on a bargain contract for 2-4 years. What's not to like?

When has this worked out for anyone in recent history? 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.