Nolan releases statement thanking everyone for his opportunity...except Murray.

dejeanneret

Nolan will never coach another game in the NHL.

The Sabres gave him an opportunity to rehabilitate his NHL image and, instead, he chose to outwardly attempt to sabotage that same organization's stated strategy.

Good riddance.

I know it sounds crazy but I think Nolan is perfectly content getting fired and collecting his cash. With 20 games to go you could tell he wasn't coaching to keep his job.

Big picture how sad is that? Because he was trying so hard to win it actually made him look bad. Either way - glad it is over and move on to the next chapter. Thank God.

Edited by sicknfla

I know it sounds crazy but I think Nolan is perfectly content getting fired and collecting his cash. With 20 games to go you could tell he wasn't coaching to keep his job.

He probably heard he was getting fired anyway (if we heard it, he heard it) and decided to have a big " you" to Murray. I would've done the same thing in Nolan's shoes, thinking it'd be hilarious

He absolutely knew what he signed up for. He hit the lotto when these guys offered him the 3 year deal. Truth be known he probably would rather sit at home and collect TP's cash then to be a part of this soap opera.

Probably why he was so adamant to go against the plan. That is the only part that bugs me. TN very much coached like he didn't care about draft position. TM very much did his job like he only cared about draft position. Now Murray is going to try to act like it was somewhat on Nolan for finishing 30th? That is horseshit on Murray's part.

Where are you going with all of this?  As I stated in the other thread.. as of last Thursday, a large contingent of Sabre fans were 100% convinced that Buffalo was not going to finish 30th. 

You want to hate.  Hate away I suppose.  I mean for what it's worth.. if you are trying to rebuild a team and you don't have the talent you need at the moment you pretty much have to care about draft position.  It's as though everyone wanted the Sabres to trade away all the prospects and get some talent in here now to win.... for a year. 

I'm not sure how much more insanity I can stand.

Where are you going with all of this?  As I stated in the other thread.. as of last Thursday, a large contingent of Sabre fans were 100% convinced that Buffalo was not going to finish 30th. 

Oh then you shouldn't be posting... seriously many fans have an understanding of Buffalo luck and would rather expect the worst and hope for the best.  I think you misread fans angst versus what they hoped the Sabres would do.

Where are you going with all of this? As I stated in the other thread.. as of last Thursday, a large contingent of Sabre fans were 100% convinced that Buffalo was not going to finish 30th.

You want to hate. Hate away I suppose. I mean for what it's worth.. if you are trying to rebuild a team and you don't have the talent you need at the moment you pretty much have to care about draft position. It's as though everyone wanted the Sabres to trade away all the prospects and get some talent in here now to win.... for a year.

Who is hating? Just stating my opinion that I thought Murray looked foolish when he stated that they were not trying to finish 30th.

I am totally fine with the plan to finish 30th. Just don't try telling us it wasn't the plan. That is an insult to the fans. Either that or Murray is one horrible GM.

Best thing Murray can do right now is stay away from a microphone until he announces his pick.

why did Murray give him the new deal in the first place?

They basically gave the guy 3 years worth of money to be a one year pawn.

You answered your own question, imo.  Basically TN was getting a bum deal, being the coach on a rebuilding (in extreme, tanking) team.  When he was hired by LaFontaine it was for a team that was in a shambles, just starting a rebuild.  There was no sense in Murray bringing in his own coach while the team was still a tire fire*, especially if thoughts of finishing low to get a high draft pick were one of his objectives for this season.  So to make it worth his while he hired Nolan for a three year term, strongly suspecting it wouldn't last beyond the first year, figuring it was the least he could do to compensate for throwing Nolan into such an impossible situation.  Did Murray know he would fire Nolan after this season?  Maybe, maybe not.  But that's the way it worked out.

*Another factor is that perhaps he even discussed the possibility (in a non-official capacity, of course) of working with Babcock at some point in the future and knew his contract was expiring at the end of this season, so he needed a placeholder coach to get the team through to Babcock's availability.  As bad as thrusting Nolan into the situation was (by giving him a contract), it would have been even worse to hire some schmuck from outside the organization for just a year if his true intent has always been to make a play for Babcock.  If the Sabres do land (or make a strong play for) Babcock, I'll be convinced that this was the plan all along.  And if not Babcock I think GMTM has a list of candidates in mind.

Why the sudden firing?  I suspect Murray had already made his decision to let Nolan go during the off-season but something did come up between Nolan and Murray and Murray just didn't want to deal with Nolan anymore.  He can put up a charade if it serves his purposes but he just couldn't fake it with Nolan anymore, nor did he need to.

he probably would rather sit at home and collect TP's cash then to be a part of this soap opera.

Probably why he was so adamant to go against the plan. That is the only part that bugs me. TN very much coached like he didn't care about draft position. TM very much did his job like he only cared about draft position. Now Murray is going to try to act like it was somewhat on Nolan for finishing 30th? That is horseshit on Murray's part.

Nolan was a major player in the soap opera.  And if Nolan had played nice and just went along with the tank faithfully until it was secured, then got the team to play well, maybe Murray would have seen him as a guy he can work with (probably not because I think he has much higher level of coaching in mind), I agree with you that it's horseshit, but one man's horseshit is another man's spin.

Probably true but Nolan had these guys playing hard. And with what he had to work with what more could he really do? So, again, I guess it falls back to why did Murray give him the new deal in the first place?

I know Pegula has the money but what the hell were they thinking? They basically gave the guy 3 years worth of money to be a one year pawn.

The Sabres played hard, but they very rarely played well, and that was due to more than just a lack of talent. Arizona finished two points ahead of Buffalo, yet their Corsi number was nowhere near as catastrophic. Every veteran skater not named Ennis under-performed. Every young player aside from Girgensons stalled in their development.

The only true bright spot this season was the goaltending. Despite the upheaval at the position, the goaltenders consistently played above their perceived skill level. For this reason Irbe was retained. If Nolan and his staff were able get similar results from the rest of the team, he'd probably still have a job.

Probably true but Nolan had these guys playing hard. And with what he had to work with what more could he really do? So, again, I guess it falls back to why did Murray give him the new deal in the first place?

I know Pegula has the money but what the hell were they thinking? They basically gave the guy 3 years worth of money to be a one year pawn.

Nolan probably held out for a longer contract because he knew the Sabres were between a rock and a hard place. Maybe Murray's guy was still under contract this year (fingers crossed it's Babcock from Detroit) so he couldn't bring him in or maybe his guy was available but he didn't want him to start with the team until the tank was over. If Nolan saw the writing on the wall and knew his fate was already sealed it made sense for him to demand more from Murray and it made sense for Murray to use Pegula's war chest to make it happen. Otherwise you are looking at 3 different coaches over the course of 2 seasons and possibly even firing the new placeholder who would've replaced Nolan and then you're looking at 4 coaches in 3 seasons.

I am totally fine with the plan to finish 30th. Just don't try telling us it wasn't the plan. That is an insult to the fans.

An insult to the fans, sure, but it's in keeping with the league party line that teams simply don't tank.  If he admitted it for the sake of the fans, he'd probably face league sanctions.  Better to put the best team he can on the ice and make the fans happy in a year or two with a winning team.

A true rebuilding effort is a very acrimonious task.  Even if you're not trying to tank for a top pick, you have to make the commitment to exchange the present for the future, which means that while you're in the midst of it, the present will suck for a while.  The future isn't quite here yet but it's getting closer.

Look at what the Sabres left behind; you only have to peek over at the Western Conference where ol' LIndy Ruff valiantly battled for that last playoff spot and ended up in 10th.  That's what the Sabres had become, year after year.  The rebuild was the right course of action.  Murray may or may not be the right guy to carry it out.  Not knowing how the team will look a year or two from now is the source of a lot of the strife on the forum right now.  If they're making deep playoff runs in a few years then obviously Murray was the guy.  If the team is still faltering, he'll be replaced.  But how he handled Nolan's dismissal will not be part of the reason for sacking GMTM.

In 5 years Ted Nolan will be more loved in this town than Tim Murray.

That is more a knock on Murray than a compliment to Nolan. After this past press conference I question if Murray has what it takes to be a long term GM in this league. He looked and sounded like he was in over his head.

why do you say that?? I think gmtm has done a masterful job so far. Our line-up with Mceichel and maybe a free agent or two is looking very very good.

An insult to the fans, sure, but it's in keeping with the league party line that teams simply don't tank.  If he admitted it for the sake of the fans, he'd probably face league sanctions.  Better to put the best team he can on the ice and make the fans happy in a year or two with a winning team.

A true rebuilding effort is a very acrimonious task.  Even if you're not trying to tank for a top pick, you have to make the commitment to exchange the present for the future, which means that while you're in the midst of it, the present will suck for a while.  The future isn't quite here yet but it's getting closer.

Look at what the Sabres left behind; you only have to peek over at the Western Conference where ol' LIndy Ruff valiantly battled for that last playoff spot and ended up in 10th.  That's what the Sabres had become, year after year.  The rebuild was the right course of action.  Murray may or may not be the right guy to carry it out.  Not knowing how the team will look a year or two from now is the source of a lot of the strife on the forum right now.  If they're making deep playoff runs in a few years then obviously Murray was the guy.  If the team is still faltering, he'll be replaced.  But how he handled Nolan's dismissal will not be part of the reason for sacking GMTM.

that is so true. the sabres were definitely becoming predictably borderline(no not psychologically but playoff-wise). The Briere debacle was a strong sign of things to come.

He probably heard he was getting fired anyway (if we heard it, he heard it) and decided to have a big "###### you" to Murray. I would've done the same thing in Nolan's shoes, thinking it'd be hilarious

It's hilarious right up to the point where it costs you a future job in the league. If there's one community smaller than the coaching community, it's the GM community. 

GO SABRES!!!

It's hilarious right up to the point where it costs you a future job in the league. If there's one community smaller than the coaching community, it's the GM community. 

GO SABRES!!!

Prior to this stint his last NHL coaching job was the Isles for two seasons in 2006-08, I don't think Nolan had any illusions about his chances of coaching in the the NHL ever again. He will contently go back to Latvia or some other AHL/European team and enjoy Pegula's checks

Edited by WildCard

The Sabres played hard, but they very rarely played well, and that was due to more than just a lack of talent. Arizona finished two points ahead of Buffalo, yet their Corsi number was nowhere near as catastrophic. Every veteran skater not named Ennis under-performed. Every young player aside from Girgensons stalled in their development.

The only true bright spot this season was the goaltending. Despite the upheaval at the position, the goaltenders consistently played above their perceived skill level. For this reason Irbe was retained. If Nolan and his staff were able get similar results from the rest of the team, he'd probably still have a job.

Given Nolan's incessant refrain about lack of work ethic and "compete", I don't agree with this. Especially after Meszaros admitted he needed to just work harder after 74 games or whatever it was. There were several floaters on this squad of frauds all year and acting like they just won a game 7 in the locker room after beating Arizona clinched that belief for me. 

GO SABRES!!!

I don't think Nolan and the players were ever a part of the "tank" plan.  The tank started with Pegula and ended with Murray.  Nolan and the players were never told not to coach or play to win every game possible.  Nolan did exactly what he was asked to do.  If Gionta and Foligno don't go on the shelf after the hit against Gionta in the Boston game, the Sabres probably don't finish last.  Murray designed a team that was to finish last, no matter what he said in the press conference.  It almost backfired on him.  Fortunately, it didn't.

Prior to this stint his last NHL coaching job was the Isles for two seasons in 2006-08, I don't think Nolan had any illusions about his chances of coaching in the the NHL ever again. He will contently go back to Latvia or some other AHL/European team and enjoy Pegula's checks

Agreed, but it amazes me how Nolan is so adept at burning bridges none the less. He seems like he's all emotion, zero tact. Not surprising given that's exactly how he coaches. 

GO SABRES!!!

I don't think Nolan and the players were ever a part of the "tank" plan.  The tank started with Pegula and ended with Murray.  Nolan and the players were never told not to coach or play to win every game possible.  Nolan did exactly what he was asked to do.  If Gionta and Foligno don't go on the shelf after the hit against Gionta in the Boston game, the Sabres probably don't finish last.  Murray designed a team that was to finish last, no matter what he said in the press conference.  It almost backfired on him.  Fortunately, it didn't.

Agree with this entirely. Losing them and Mitchell ruined whatever momentum they had from their 10-3 run in December. There were more than a few of us wondering about the tank when we were closer to 8th than last in the conference at the time. I'm surprised there isn't more mention of that simple fact. Just because we were a poor team that everyone just assumed wanted to finish last, doesn't mean that injuries weren't a factor in the record. They were as you point out. 

GO SABRES!!!

Given Nolan's incessant refrain about lack of work ethic and "compete", I don't agree with this. Especially after Meszaros admitted he needed to just work harder after 74 games or whatever it was. There were several floaters on this squad of frauds all year and acting like they just won a game 7 in the locker room after beating Arizona clinched that belief for me. 

GO SABRES!!!

Yeah, on second thought I agree with you. Too many periods of getting out shot 17 to 2 to buy into the idea that this team gave a solid effort night in and night out.

Agreed, but it amazes me how Nolan is so adept at burning bridges none the less. He seems like he's all emotion, zero tact. Not surprising given that's exactly how he coaches. 

And that's why I'm amazed by how many people I have seen complaining about this.  It is very obvious at this point who Ted Nolan is.  He doesn't get along with people and exits quickly.  It's not just a coincidence at this point.

And that's why I'm amazed by how many people I have seen complaining about this.  It is very obvious at this point who Ted Nolan is.  He doesn't get along with people and exits quickly.  It's not just a coincidence at this point.

At the NHL level I would say you are correct, but not at any other level (well, at least in the CHL and in Latvia).

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.