The Next Coach of the Buffalo Sabres

IKnowPhysics

Pretty much everything.

I find that I can't believe a thing he says. Call it a spider sense, if you will.

Maybe, it's a reflection of the way things are done.

I just don't trust him.

Again, how what "things" are done? I understand differences of opinion but there seems to be no basis for your feelings.

I agree he still has a lot to prove but I have seen nothing to question his sincerity or integrity.

Again, how what "things" are done? I understand differences of opinion but there seems to be no basis for your feelings.

I agree he still has a lot to prove but I have seen nothing to question his sincerity or integrity.

HE SAID SPIDER SENSE!!!    :ph34r:

I have to ask, I just listened to the interview and I'm not sure what reference to Nolan you are talking about?

He was talking about how prepared he expects the coaching candidates to be and how he expects them to come into the interview with sophisticated plans. He contrasted that with "old school" coaches who say might explain their approach by saying something to the effect, "we're going to work hard and forecheck."

He was talking about how prepared he expects the coaching candidates to be and how he expects them to come into the interview with sophisticated plans. He contrasted that with "old school" coaches who say might explain their approach by saying something to the effect, "we're going to work hard and forecheck."

I thought what he actually said was that even old school coaches wouldn't say that but you may be right. I think he has actually gone out of his way to be diplomatic when discussing TN. The players, however, have been pretty open about Nolan's coaching shortcomings.

At this point, why bother caring any more? Nothing the Sabres can do from here on out, short of firing Murray, selling the team, and forfeiting their first round draft pick this year, will remove that stink. Maybe it's time for a new hobby, Former Sabres Fan in NS.

NS is pretty much true Blue & Gold.  You've been around since last September; you should know better.

I thought what he actually said was that even old school coaches wouldn't say that but you may be right. I think he has actually gone out of his way to be diplomatic when discussing TN. The players, however, have been pretty open about Nolan's coaching shortcomings.

I have missed that...what players have commented on Nolan?

Weber, shortly after Nolan was canned, was talking about coaches he's played for but mentioned every one but Nolan when complimenting them.

Weber, shortly after Nolan was canned, was talking about coaches he's played for but mentioned every one but Nolan when complimenting them.

He also mentioned the possibly of Babcock coming to the Sabres was exciting as a coach like him would bring structure back to the locker room

Sorry. Blashill to Detroit basically a done deal.

Sabres will want to talk to Deboer and Richardson (he implies they haven't yet.)

Bylsma is the favourite and where they will focus their attention first.

Can't watch in the US. Anybody that can view want to give a roundup of what he says for Buffalo and Detroit?

install the Tunnel Bear extension in Chrome and select Canada.  You do need to register, but you get a certain amount of bandwidth free each month.

Can't watch in the US. Anybody that can view want to give a roundup of what he says for Buffalo and Detroit?

Mention that the Wings will take their AHL coach and that DeBoer (sp?) and Disco Dan has interviewed in both San Jose and Buffalo and the Sabres have NOT asked permission as of yet to talk to Richardson. 

Right now I would prefer Bylsma.

Although I believe the Sabres are in a different position than the Bills were, to have a veteran head coach that has taken a young team and it's stars to the Stanley Cup and won (along with the playoffs year after year) has to be a huge plus.

Byslma is a coach that has earned 100 points every season except 2 (the first year he took over with 25 games left & won the cup and the strike shortened season when he led the Penguins to 72 points and first overall in the Eastern Conference losing in the conference finals.)

I also don't buy the "he had Crosby and Malvkin" line as the sole reason why he was successful.  So did the Pens coach this year and he barely squeezed in the playoffs to be eliminated in the first round.  Dallas had Benn and Seguin, two of the top point guys in the league, and they didn't even make the playoffs.  There is alot more that goes into it than just a few star players.

Bylsma is a proven winner, and I'm sure he'll be the first to admit he made mistakes in Pitt that he learned from and will take with him to his next job.

Edited by dejeanneret

Right now I would prefer Bylsma.

Although I believe the Sabres are in a different position than the Bills were, to have a veteran head coach that has taken a young team and it's stars to the Stanley Cup and won (along with the playoffs year after year) has to be a huge plus.

Byslma is a coach that has earned 100 points every season except 2 (the first year he took over with 25 games left & won the cup and the strike shortened season when he led the Penguins to 72 points and first overall in the Eastern Conference losing in the conference finals.)

I also don't buy the "he had Crosby and Malvkin" line as the sole reason why he was successful.  So did the Pens coach this year and he barely squeezed in the playoffs to be eliminated in the first round.  Dallas had Benn and Seguin, two of the top point guys in the league, and they didn't even make the playoffs.  There is alot more that goes into it than just a few star players.

Bylsma is a proven winner, and I'm sure he'll be the first to admit he made mistakes in Pitt that he learned from and will take with him to his next job.

To add to this point. Was not the idea idea of "the Tank" that you can't win without elite top end talent? In order to win a Cup the Sabres need to draft their Crosby and Malkin? Why would we then count winning with a Crosby & Malkin as a negative? The plan is to draft the elite talent and find a coach that can take that talent and win. Byslma has done just that. It's not like Babcock won his Cup with a group of underdogs, Detroit was loaded. When they met head to head Byslma's Pens beat the Babcock's Red Wings, that should count for something. Having a coach that spent 5+ seasons coaching coaching Crosby and Malkin working with the young Sabres can'e be a bad thing. Can it?  

To add to this point. Was not the idea idea of "the Tank" that you can't win without elite top end talent? In order to win a Cup the Sabres need to draft their Crosby and Malkin? Why would we then count winning with a Crosby & Malkin as a negative? The plan is to draft the elite talent and find a coach that can take that talent and win. Byslma has done just that. It's not like Babcock won his Cup with a group of underdogs, Detroit was loaded. When they met head to head Byslma's Pens beat the Babcock's Red Wings, that should count for something. Having a coach that spent 5+ seasons coaching coaching Crosby and Malkin working with the young Sabres can'e be a bad thing. Can it?  

No, I think you hit the nail on the head.

It's his second time around if the Sabres hire him, he should be even better at coaching  superstars.

You guys are making me starting to turn around on Byslma.  In the end i don't care who the new coach will be if he brings us a cup. :P

Me too. I don't post here very much (you can thank me later) but this board has been a part of my daily routine for many years. Great dialog and insights on all things Sabres.

Bylsma does have a strong résumé and as was also recently mentioned, winning with Crosby and Malkin isn't a bad thing. He was able to put it all together and be successful in Pittsburgh.

Hopefully, Murray can get this done sooner rather than later and move on to the business of winning!

I'll take Bylsma over DeBoer. Something about DeBoer scares me.

As for the situation in Pitt. I am starting to get the impression that Malkin and Crosby may not be too crazy about each other. Cannot understand why Pitt was so lousy this past season despite the decent play of their goaltender Fleury. Maybe that dressing room may not be all it's cracked up to be.

I don't care who the coach really is either, as long as they can develop our young talent into a competitive club. I am not sure though that DeBoer is that guy.

NS is pretty much true Blue & Gold.  You've been around since last September; you should know better.

Thanks 11.

I have been a fan of the Sabres my whole life, well for as far back as I can remember.  As a fan I have been trough it all.  

I don't feel that I have to defend myself and my feelings on the past two seasons and the way management, including the GM, are running this team.

I detested the tank, to the point of calling the Sabres management cheaters for taking the team down that road.  I also stated that the league should find a way to prohibit the Sabres from picking first, or second.  The worst part about the tank is the fact that, as a direct result of it, some of us are starting to question others fandom.  We are all fans of the Sabres.  We may see things differently, but the bottom line is we are all fans and want the team to do well. 

I will be experiencing weird feelings when the Sabres do become good again and I do feel they will be very good again and challenge for the cup.  I will remain a fan of the team and do hope they win the cup.  I will be happy when / if they do, but wish that they had gone about getting to that point differently.

I would feel the same way if anyone else owned the team and if there was another GM, so it's more the way the business works now that has me all wound up.

On this presser itself ... when Murray was talking about good communication between the next coach and himself I don't see how anyone could not view that as a shot against Nolan.  Sure, Murray did say that communication was a two way street and he was partly to blame for the poor communication between him and Nolan, but why bring it up again?

Anyway, I've said what I have to say.

I hear the Sabres are looking to hire a head coach.

I'll take a go go every day over a fun boy.

What about 3 fun boys?

Thanks 11.

I have been a fan of the Sabres my whole life, well for as far back as I can remember.  As a fan I have been trough it all.  

I don't feel that I have to defend myself and my feelings on the past two seasons and the way management, including the GM, are running this team.

I detested the tank, to the point of calling the Sabres management cheaters for taking the team down that road.  I also stated that the league should find a way to prohibit the Sabres from picking first, or second.  The worst part about the tank is the fact that, as a direct result of it, some of us are starting to question others fandom.  We are all fans of the Sabres.  We may see things differently, but the bottom line is we are all fans and want the team to do well. 

I will be experiencing weird feelings when the Sabres do become good again and I do feel they will be very good again and challenge for the cup.  I will remain a fan of the team and do hope they win the cup.  I will be happy when / if they do, but wish that they had gone about getting to that point differently.

I would feel the same way if anyone else owned the team and if there was another GM, so it's more the way the business works now that has me all wound up.

On this presser itself ... when Murray was talking about good communication between the next coach and himself I don't see how anyone could not view that as a shot against Nolan.  Sure, Murray did say that communication was a two way street and he was partly to blame for the poor communication between him and Nolan, but why bring it up again?

I'm sorry, dude, but when the Sabres win the Cup - something I have dreamed about and yearned for my entire life - I have no need for some "fan" saying "Yeah, but...". 

I could go the other way and say it's not fair for the anti-Tankers to enjoy the fruits of the Tank, or somehow respect their integrity when they don't, but I don't care. I was always on board with the Tank, I never thought it was disingenuous for the Sabres to tank, and I am excited to reap the benefits for ten years after two plus years of pain.

The Tank is old news. Get over it. You can't change what happened. Everyone is back on the Sabres train. It's a new beginning. Don't look back, get yourself on board, and full speed ahead!

My theory most often is take a coach that did not do horrible in his first top job in the top league and give them a second chance. Often they learn so much during their first head job or two at the expense of those teams that they will take to their next job IF they are smart enough to learn from mistakes. That's the first question I would ask, what did you learn from your last position that would apply to this job? Some people have very little to say which indicates a stubbornness and lack of ingenuity. Some people learn a great deal and are able to be very, very successful.

Although I think Bylsma has a big ego I think he is the type that learned a lot from his time in Pittsburgh and also did a lot of things well.

Thanks 11.

What about 3 fun boys?

First, 

You are right, nobody should question your fan loyalty.

Second,

While I don't agree with your conclusions regarding the tank, I understand your mis-givings. I, too, have a hard time accepting the notion that you should ever want to lose or benefit from it. I made my peace with the process. Maybe I'm rationalizing because I want to be one hundred percent behind my team, I don't really know but I respect the opinion shared by you and others.

Finally,

You could not be more wrong with regards to the presser. He was talking about communication between a coach and a general manager within the context of reports that one of the reasons Babcock went to Toronto was that Murray wanted complete control of the roster and a coach;s job was to coach and nothing else. It had nothing to do with Nolan.  Others, like PA make the claim that his answer regarding what he was looking for in a coach was a veiled shot at Nolan and while I disagree with that as well, I can see that as a possibilty.

Anyway, I hope you find yourself forgetting all this when the Sabres challenge for the Cup. Sports should not be so much work.

Thanks, Tom.

I am moving past this season.  It's a process.  Ramadan is coming in about three weeks, so that will give me some time away from all of this kind of stuff.

I have misgivings about the management of the team, but am eager to see what comes.

It is entirely possible that I am reading too much into that part of the most recent presser.

Thanks, Tom.

I am moving past this season. It's a process. Ramadan is coming in about three weeks, so that will give me some time away from all of this kind of stuff.

I have misgivings about the management of the team, but am eager to see what comes.

It is entirely possible that I am reading too much into that part of the most recent presser.

NS, I agree with your misgivings about management mostly because I am impatient due in part having endured DR and I believe his inability to fing offense especially at the center position. Which disappointedly made the tank a neccessity.

Murray imo is learning on the job and like this team will continue to have growing pains to my chagrin. He and the young players on this though talented team will still stub their toes occasionally and unlike some of the sky is always blue on this board, I will continue to critique this missteps. Its the 'merican way. I admire both your steadfast loyalty to the Sabres and understanding of the game. Patience is not one my strong suits. I was brought up to ID a problem and figure out a sucessful way to fix it now, not tommorrow.

So to all those who like you who understand the game and cheer but can see how they can improve and have an opinion about it cheers, ????

Edited by North Buffalo