The Next Coach of the Buffalo Sabres

IKnowPhysics

Anyone concerned Babcock has been the beneficiary of stacked rosters?

Not really. Especially looking at the defense. There is nobody on that blue-line I would consider a star, nor in goal.. 

Tatar, Nyquist, and Abdelkater (sp?) are pretty much farm-raised products that have plugged into a core, none of them particularly 

scary on their own - but as always with Detroit, the whole is greater than the parts.

That's Babcock. 43 wins was a pretty impressive season for a team I thought had little chance of going far in the playoffs. 

Not really. Especially looking at the defense. There is nobody on that blue-line I would consider a star, nor in goal.. 

Tatar, Nyquist, and Abdelkater (sp?) are pretty much farm-raised products that have plugged into a core, none of them particularly 

scary on their own - but as always with Detroit, the whole is greater than the parts.

That's Babcock. 43 wins was a pretty impressive season for a team I thought had little chance of going far in the playoffs. 

How about for the year that Babsy won the Cup?  Beneficiary of a stacked roster?  Roster: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2008_Stanley_Cup_Finals#Detroit_Red_Wings

Was the Ducks squad he took to the Finals stacked? Were the post-Lidstrom Wings stacked? Is there a season where the team he had underperformed to a significant degree?

IMHO, the answer to all 3 is 'no.' So, my answer to your q is: not particularly.

Yes, but much less concerned about that than I would be with Bylsma.

Crosby/Malkin.....ok......

Fleury in net versus Hasek.

Show me the stacking??? And remember....Babcock has 1 Cup in 14 years of coaching....Bylsma 1 in 6..........and Bylsma has a higher series win %.........

No doubt, lots of talent. Presidents Trophy that year. A better point is how competitive Babcock has kept Detroit year to year. 

Can one of our fancystats fellas at GR or in house run a query of Babcock's post season victories versus regular season output? You could do the same for Hitchcock and Ruff.

I like to call it, "The Family Tree of Coaching".......

Seriously guys.....run the numbers.

and Bylsma has a higher series win %.........

8-5 (DB) to 15-10 (MB).

61.5% to 60%...

That's such a big difference that I would probably mention it every chance I got, too.

Edited by Hoss

Crosby/Malkin.....ok......

Fleury in net versus Hasek.

Show me the stacking??? And remember....Babcock has 1 Cup in 14 years of coaching....Bylsma 1 in 6..........and Bylsma has a higher series win %.........

Can one of our fancystats fellas at GR or in house run a query of Babcock's post season victories versus regular season output? You could do the same for Hitchcock and Ruff.

I like to call it, "The ###### Family Tree of Coaching".......

Seriously guys.....run the numbers.

:lol:  Hmmm? We are talking about the benefits of a stacked roster and Bylsma vs Babcock. (cough ...Crosby.....cough Malkin) 

I don't really find a need to talk up Babock - other than to say, that he's a guy that's managed to keep his job.  :lol:

Tell me if I'm wrong here but Sabes have lost out on the two college free agent prizes and McDavid. They need to get Babcock to avoid Hockey Heaven getting swept out in four.

College free agent prizes?  :lol:

The club is actually in a position where they have to conserve the contracts they offer. 

Byslma started with talent, Babcock coached his players to become great.

This is a good point, but Babcock did have some Hall of Fame holdovers to help him in getting the kids to where they needed to be. He won't have that here which will be a challenge, but it's one I'm confident he could take on.

:lol:  Hmmm? We are talking about the benefits of a stacked roster and Bylsma vs Babcock. (cough ...Crosby.....cough Malkin) 

I don't really find a need to talk up Babock - other than to say, that he's a guy that's managed to keep his job.  :lol:

College free agent prizes?  :lol:

The club is actually in a position where they have to conserve the contracts they offer. 

It's a combo of the Buffalo media machine and the "It'll all be worth it!" fanbase, but when you really look at the qualifications and results......

Who would you rather have.....Crosby/Malkin/Satan/Fleury/Gonchar/Letang  or Datsyuk/Lidstrom/Hasek/Chelios/Zetterberg/Franzen?

Was the Ducks squad he took to the Finals stacked? Were the post-Lidstrom Wings stacked? Is there a season where the team he had underperformed to a significant degree?

IMHO, the answer to all 3 is 'no.' So, my answer to your q is: not particularly.

What's his playoff record with the post-Lidstrom Wings?

It's a combo of the Buffalo media machine and the "It'll all be worth it!" fanbase, but when you really look at the qualifications and results......

Who would you rather have.....Crosby/Malkin/Satan/Fleury/Gonchar/Letang  or Datsyuk/Lidstrom/Hasek/Chelios/Zetterberg/Franzen?

All three of the bold became very good when Babcock started coaching them. He made them better. Can you honestly say Byslma made Malkin or Crosby better?

All three of the bold became very good when Babcock started coaching them. He made them better. Can you honestly say Byslma made Malkin or Crosby better?

Chicken and egg.  Did they play better because of Babcock or did Babcock look good because he had them?  With Datsyuk, he was already hitting his prime before Babcock.  Maybe Zetterberg got his bump from going back to Sweden during the lockout.  And Franzen was a rookie when Babcock started with the Wings.  I'm sure he did what he could to improve their game, but I think they were already well on their way and may well have produced similarly under different coaching.

Chicken and egg.  Did they play better because of Babcock or did Babcock look good because he had them?  With Datsyuk, he was already hitting his prime before Babcock.  Maybe Zetterberg got his bump from going back to Sweden during the lockout.  And Franzen was a rookie when Babcock started with the Wings.  I'm sure he did what he could to improve their game, but I think they were already well on their way and may well have produced similarly under different coaching.

I disagree. They were all low picks, and projects. Every year Detroit has some new kid picked late rounds that become a viable top-6 player on any team seemingly out of nowhere. They do draft well, and groom them well, but I give a fair amount of credit to Babcock in teaching them the NHL play and adjustments and putting them in areas/situations to succeed. 

Edited by WildCard

Tell me if I'm wrong here but Sabes have lost out on the two college free agent prizes and McDavid. They need to get Babcock to avoid Hockey Heaven getting swept out in four.

Two free agents? We lost out on Bailey, but from the way it was reported, it sounded like we stopped pursuing O'Connor, not that he eliminated us.

It's always something to think about, but if you're getting a Cup winner then it's just something you're going to have to deal with. "Proven winner" is pretty synonymous with having a stacked roster.

Won't the next coach we have be working with a stacked roster? I would rather have a guy who is used to that situation than someone who gets the most out of a bunch of AHLers. Those are two different animals.

I think Byslma was the right fit for the Pens at the time. Then he wasn't. I don't really know if Mike Babcock is a good coach or not, I just like him and would prefer him over Byslma.

I would love for the Sabres to land Babcock as their next head coach. He's a great coach and IMO the best available right now.

I do think the weight of expectation that a guy like that could bring could be a little troublesome, in that I hope the fans won't expect too much too soon from our young team. I think Babcock is a great choice to help lead our young guys to contention, but it is still going to take a few years.

What's his playoff record with the post-Lidstrom Wings?

For the last 6 years Crosby/Malkin by far.

Babcock isn't the head coach of Team Canada for nothing.

He's regarded as the #1 coach in the game right now.

I just don't see him coming to Buffalo.  

I hope I am wrong.

On a scale of 1-10, my interest in Bylsma is a minus 37.

Babcock isn't the head coach of Team Canada for nothing.

He's regarded as the #1 coach in the game right now.

I just don't see him coming to Buffalo.  

I hope I am wrong.

On a scale of 1-10, my interest in Bylsma is a minus 37.

Same here.

Also, I just don't think it's realistic to think he'll be our coach. Murray wants a guy he has a relationship with, i.e. Babcock or worst-case-scenario Richardson.