GDT Sabres at Blue Jackets 4-10-2015 7PM MSG WGR

Brawndo

All the quotes that I hear are "we don't want to be remember as the 30th place team" or "we want to play spoiler" ...

These are two very likely alternatives for tonight:

1) You go all out, balls to the wall on the road where 95% of the fans watching on TV are rooting for you to lose, you win (or get even get a point), you spoil nobody's playoff chances, but rather two teams' fan appreciation days, you come back to an ugly scene tomorrow, in which even if you are trying to play spoiler, everyone will be cheering against you, and if you manage to win that one (or get a point), you will be remembered and hated forever as the team that blew 30th and 2/3 of a chance at a generational talent for your fanbase. Nobody will respect you any more because you managed to squeak out of the cellar on the very last day of a terrible season, especially when the other team seemingly let you do it.

2) You play hard, but not lights out, lose in regulation to a better team on their home ice and their fan appreciation day, you come back tomorrow to play in the loudest, most supportive arena that you have ever been in, whether or not you a trying to play spoiler (but especially if you are), your fan appreciation day ends with cheers regardless of the outcome, and if this season is remembered at all, it won't be for the embarrassment of finishing last (or, again, no more so than finishing 29th on the last day in one of the worst seasons in recent memory), but rather as a happy time in which our future star (most likely, not guarantees) was acquired.

Hmmm ... tough call. How's it look from that moral high ground?

Note: just to be clear, I expect them to say what they did regardless of how they feel. They (at least some) may be thinking this way, but certainly wouldn't tell the media that. Actions will speak loudly tonight.

Exactofcknlutely!! let the crowd show you tomorrow how much we have missed you and how fired up we are for the future. Everyone is friends again and all is forgotten. I don't think these players realize how hostile the crowd will be tomorrow if things don't go our way. It will be a very very sad scene to witness.

I'm really not too worried. In our epic run to 29th, we've amassed a whopping 4 wins in our last 18 games, 3 of which were against Arizona, Carolina, and Toronto. We are very good at losing, and go to face Columbus, the hottest team in the league, and we get bobrovski this time instead of a goalie who allowed a Hodgson backhand to go in from 50 feet out in a game where our Corsi was like -300. We clinch tonight.

I'm really not too worried. In our epic run to 29th, we've amassed a whopping 4 wins in our last 18 games, 3 of which were against Arizona, Carolina, and Toronto. We are very good at losing, and go to face Columbus, the hottest team in the league, and we get bobrovski this time instead of a goalie who allowed a Hodgson backhand to go in from 50 feet out in a game where our Corsi was like -300. We clinch tonight.

Hope so, because ... how late are bars open in Buffalo, again?  They will be open at the time that the Coyotes-Ducks game ends, right?  Could get even uglier than it will be in the arena tomorrow if they don't clinch tonight.

I don't think these players realize how hostile the crowd will be tomorrow if things don't go our way. It will be a very very sad scene to witness.

Oh, but I think they do and are relishing playing the heel. That is more important to them than their fans, their long term career, being on a winning team in the future , and doing what is best for the guy who pays your ungodly high check.

Their friggen foolishly placed pride being hurt in that Arizona game is more important to them than all the good a loss would do.

Guess that is why pride is one of the 7 deadly sins

Edited by plenzmd1

This is the closest to black friday we have come since 2007... will we have Black Friday 2.0?  

Hope so, because ... how late are bars open in Buffalo, again?  They will be open at the time that the Coyotes-Ducks game ends, right?  Could get even uglier than it will be in the arena tomorrow if they don't clinch tonight.

4am is when you don't have to go home but you can't stay here.

Even the players have to have it figured out at this point, right? I mean the guys who will be around for the future know, right? Right? RIGHT?!?

Lose tonight and you get a home crowd that is actually behind you for the Finale.

I don't care if they have. None of it matters--we're facing a good (now that they're healthy) Jackets team and their starting goaltender. I think we lose 4-1.

My man :thumbsup:

Oh, but I think they do and are relishing playing the heel. That is more important to them than their fans, their long term career, being on a winning team in the future , and doing what is best for the guy who pays your ungodly high check.

Their friggen foolishly placed pride being hurt in that Arizona game is more important to them than all the good a loss would do.

Guess that is why pride is one of the 8 deadly sins

Basically, this.  Suddenly they're on a mission.  Is there a worse statement to make for yourself than to completely fail when it could matter but then do something to make it worse afterwards to soothe your ego?

I don't care if they have. None of it matters--we're facing a good (now that they're healthy) Jackets team and their starting goaltender. I think we lose 4-1.

We don't know if the Blue Jackets will even show up tonight.  And we saw in the Islanders game that a random bounce off a stick laying on the ice can determine these games.  And if not for a Toews miracle, we would have beaten the Blackhawks to be tied with Arizona right now.

Basically, this.  Suddenly they're on a mission.  Is there a worse statement to make for yourself than to completely fail when it could matter but then do something to make it worse afterwards to soothe your ego?

We don't know if the Blue Jackets will even show up tonight.  And we saw in the Islanders game that a random bounce off a stick laying on the ice can determine these games.  And if not for a Toews miracle, we would have beaten the Blackhawks to be tied with Arizona right now.

There is a zero percent chance if you were told the score in the Blackhawks game with 2 minutes left that you would say "oh it's okay, they'll get two quick ones and we'll lose in regulation." Yet it happened.

There is a zero percent chance if you were told the score in the Blackhawks game with 2 minutes left that you would say "oh it's okay, they'll get two quick ones and we'll lose in regulation." Yet it happened.

That's sort of my point.  These games are wildly unpredictable.  With 2 minutes left, what would Sportsclub Stats have put the Sabres chances of losing in regulation at?  Maybe 2%?  So that's about as valuable to me as their 98% chance of us finishing 30th that we started the week with.

Great thread so far.  I can't believe it had to come this far, but tonight's the night boys (and gals) (and "gal"),

I'm getting drunk tonight, Randy.

Drunk it is! No need to call me out specifically though.

Bob in net per Columbus Dispatch

Curious what the off-season / trade deadline deal Murray might have promised the Blue Jackets next year for them to start Bobrovsky.  I'll trade you Marcus Foligno for a 4th round pick in 2016 if you start Bobbo tonight.

1/4 of the way through the 2nd page 5.5 hours before game time. Weren't there a few of these that didn't hit the 2nd page until the 3rd was about to start?

Since the 2nd Sabres-Yotes game, the final scores for both teams have pretty much been what they should (though the paths to the outcomes definitely have gone through some heavy brush rather than solid pavement). IF this one holds to that trend, there'll be champale popping everywhere but the Sabres dressing room around 9:40PM tonight.

Come on, these guys aren't robots. Lose tonight and play your hearts out tomorrow. If they really have to prove a point by going anti tank for one night, they will be hated.

Thats's the point. They're not robots. Can't be programmed to lose. Sabres will play hard tonight. Just hope it's not enough to keep up w/ the Blue Jackets.

I have the same hope you have. Get beat tonight and play for the fans tomorrow.

Edited by GoPre

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.